75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)
This topic is about Jurassic Park
Book Buddies > Jurassic Park & The Lost World by Michael Crichton

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shelby (last edited Jun 03, 2018 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1) by Michael Crichton The Lost World by Michael Crichton

Hey everyone! Elyse and I are going to be buddy-reading Jurassic Park & The Lost World starting June 6th. Open invitation to anyone else who wants to join us!

Side-note: I very recently had to re-learn how to spell 'Jurassic' thanks to this book lol.

I perused this way back in high school and liked it, but for some reason wasn't in the mood for it then.

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jun 03, 2018 07:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7988 comments Mod
I also have The Lost World! ;)

I should be in a great spot by the 6th to start this!

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Elyse wrote: "I also have The Lost World! ;)

I should be in a great spot by the 6th to start this!"

I was thinking we could add that one to the buddy read too.

message 4: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

👍👍

message 5: by Shelby (last edited Jun 03, 2018 10:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Updated! I can get both audiobooks from Scribd!

Carol (carol07) | 3079 comments I just read both books within the last year, so I may chime in... There should be a lot to talk about... especially on The Lost World.

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Carol wrote: "I just read both books within the last year, so I may chime in... There should be a lot to talk about... especially on The Lost World."

Weirdly enough the second movie is the only one I haven't seen, though I have a basic idea of the plot. I have no idea if it's like the second book.

Also, I have dinosaurs on my bag of chips so cuz of the movie, but it just keeps putting me in the mood for this buddy read lol.

Carol (carol07) | 3079 comments Shelby wrote: "Weirdly enough the second movie is the only one I haven't seen, though I have a basic idea of the plot. I have no idea if it's like the second book."

The movie is nothing like the book. Having seen the movie first, it took me a while to get into The Lost World.

message 9: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby wrote: "Carol wrote: "Also, I have dinosaurs on my bag of chips so cuz of the movie, but it just keeps putting me in the mood for this buddy read lol..."

haha mood food! So much advertisement for the new one! I'll be starting when I get home!

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Just started Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1) by Michael Crichton !

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Audiobook is pretty good!

message 12: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby wrote: "Audiobook is pretty good!"

Who narrates?

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Elyse wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Audiobook is pretty good!"

Who narrates?"

Scott Brick. I don't know if I've listened to an audiobook by him before, but he does both Jurassic Park and The Lost World.

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Who else keeps google images up while reading about dinosaurs?

Carol (carol07) | 3079 comments Shelby wrote: "Scott Brick. I don't know if I've listened to an audiobook by him before, but he does both Jurassic Park and The Lost World. ."

Scott Brick is awesome. Especially when he does a slimy sarcastic character... I think he has read some Steven King, and I know he reads Nelson DeMille's John Corey series. He is great... IMHO

message 16: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jun 06, 2018 05:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby wrote: "Scott Brick. I don't know if I've listened to an audiobook by him before, but he does both Jurassic Park and The Lost World..."

Oh he's good! I've listened to a few narrated by him; Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders, In Cold Blood, The Martian Chronicles to name a few. He's narrated a LOT.

I'm finally done packing for our trip (winery tour!) so I've got about a half hour before I need to go to bed so I'm finally starting Jurassic Park!

message 17: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jun 06, 2018 05:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol wrote: "Scott Brick is awesome. Especially when he does a slimy sarcastic character... I think he has read some Steven King, and I know he reads Nelson DeMille's John Corey series. He is great... IMHO..."

He's really great at reading true crime!

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments Carol wrote: "Scott Brick is awesome. Especially when he does a sli..."

Everybody loves him, but I just can't stand his narration. Every once in a while I'll give him another try, thinking maybe it'll be better, and every time I just want to chuck the iPod across the room! I keep listening to the sample of Jurassic Park, because I loved the story, but I just can't. It kind of reminds me of that Laurel/Yanny thing floating around the internet a while back- I don't think we're all hearing the same thing, LOL.

I guess I shall just have to wait until my hold comes up :)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Carol wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Scott Brick. I don't know if I've listened to an audiobook by him before, but he does both Jurassic Park and The Lost World. ."

Scott Brick is awesome. Especially when he does a sli..."

I've looked it up and apparently he did the edition of iRobot I listened to.

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Stacie wrote: "Carol wrote: "Scott Brick is awesome. Especially when he does a sli..."

Everybody loves him, but I just can't stand his narration. Every once in a while I'll give him another try, thinking maybe i..."

Will you be joining us?

Carol (carol07) | 3079 comments Well, I read both books within the last year (Just finished lost world ), so I will chyme in ... I liked the first book better. I identify so much more with the movies b/c I put off the books for so long and I had seen the movies several times before I read the books.

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments Shelby wrote: "Will you be joining us? ..."

If my hold ever comes up! (I'm next in line and that always makes me impatient, lol!)

message 23: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacie wrote: "Everybody loves him, but I just can't stand his narration..."

I like him better narrating true crime than fiction!

message 24: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I made it to Chapter 2 last night. lol. The font is super small in the mass market paperback! When I get home from work I'm really going to dig in!

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments I think I’m around 20% through by my calculations. I’ve made it to the island at any rate.

message 26: by Shelby (last edited Jun 07, 2018 07:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments So there's something I've been curious about for a while. There are several species of velociraptor, but he one most often refereed to as 'velociraptor' would actually be a smaller breed. In the movies (At least the latest ones. It's been a while since I saw the originals so I can't be sure.) they are actually much larger than the classic velociraptor, which only came up to somewhere between the knees and waist on a person.

Last year, I read Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker , which is also about a breed of raptor, the largest, known as the Utahraptor. I was wondering why they didn't just use that type of raptor in the book/movies (they might actually in the movies without calling them that breed) so I looked it up. Apparently Utahraptors were only discovered a year after Jurassic Park was published. Thought that was interesting.

*EDIT*

I just found a web page about this lol. Apparently in the books & movies they're Achillobactor.

https://www.quora.com/Which-dinosaur-...

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments I'm having some trouble telling how far I am on my audiobook, but I think I'm now close to halfway through Jurassic Park. Anyone else?

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments I just started Jurassic Park. I read it a long time ago, right around the time the movie came out and I remember looking up Herbert Boyer and Genentech to find out if they were real. I was a profoundly untrusting soul- or, more likely, I was very attached to the conceit that I couldn't be fooled by 'pop lit', lol!

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Stacie wrote: "I just started Jurassic Park. I read it a long time ago, right around the time the movie came out and I remember looking up Herbert Boyer and Genentech to find out if they were real. I was a profou..."

The beginning talked a lot about science running unchecked and taken advantage of by certain companies, but the companies mentioned that I looked up weren't real. I know such things have happened though.

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments Shelby wrote: "The beginning talked a lot about science running unchecked and taken advantage of by certain companies, but the companies mentioned that I looked up weren't real. I know such things have happened though...."

He'd have to be careful not to state that the real companies were engaging in shady research- that's a good way to get sued- but it was a good way to ground his world and blend the line between reality and fiction.

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments I'm usually pretty good at keeping movie images and book images separate... but Ian Malcolm will only ever be Jeff Goldblum! At the halfway mark and enjoying this just as much as the first time I read it, umpteen years ago ;)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Stacie wrote: "I'm usually pretty good at keeping movie images and book images separate... but Ian Malcolm will only ever be Jeff Goldblum! At the halfway mark and enjoying this just as much as the first time I r..."

Agreed. I'm mostly seeing only the original cast (especially Jeff Goldblum) accept for the kids, who were switched around in age for some reason I think. I've only seen the original film once, a few years back I managed to catch a showing at a theatre that often plays older movies. No regrets having seen it on the big screen.

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments Good grief, Lexi is so annoying. I keep rooting for the dinosaurs every time she speaks.

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Stacie wrote: "Good grief, Lexi is so annoying. I keep rooting for the dinosaurs every time she speaks."

Lol. I’ve heard a lot about the changes they made between book and film so I was prepared for it. If she says “I’m hungry” one more time. . .

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Graahh! Shut up Lex!

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Just finished! Loved it!

message 37: by Shelby (last edited Jun 10, 2018 04:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments I was sad about (view spoiler)

I’ll probably get started on The Lost World tonight.

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Starting The Lost World by Michael Crichton now!

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Shelby wrote: "I was sad about [spoilers removed]

I’ll probably get started on The Lost World tonight."

(view spoiler)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments Shelby wrote: "Shelby wrote: "I was sad about [spoilers removed]

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Stacie wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Shelby wrote: "I was sad about [spoilers removed]

[spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hello! I have been enjoying my wine-filled weekend and managing to read as well! Today is a laid-back day so I'm hoping to finish Jurassic Park. I'm halfway through. The movie is basically happening in my head as I read.

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Elyse wrote: "Hello! I have been enjoying my wine-filled weekend and managing to read as well! Today is a laid-back day so I'm hoping to finish Jurassic Park. I'm halfway through. The movie is basically happenin..."

It was very similar!

message 44: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jun 13, 2018 07:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm home from my trip and I finished Jurassic Park on Monday. I loved it! I haven't started Lost World yet but I finished the other book I started before starting JP so I will be starting LW tonight! :)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Elyse wrote: "I'm home from my trip and I finished Jurassic Park on Monday. I loved it! I haven't started Lost World yet but I finished the other book I started before starting JP so I will be starting LW tonigh..."

I think I'm like 30% or so through Lost World. It's interesting. I like the dynamic between the kids in particular so far.

message 46: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm watching Jurassic Park. :D

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Elyse wrote: "I'm watching Jurassic Park. :D"

I plan to watch both that and Lost World once I'm done these two books!

I'm planning to finish Lost World tomorrow. Almost there.

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments (view spoiler)

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Finished Lost World!

Shelby Suderman | 1868 comments Watching the first movie now.

« previous 1