This topic is about In Cold Blood
In Cold Blood > First Impressions *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
first impressions

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim My first impressions were for a book that I'd heard the title and author of hundreds of times how come I know nothing of what the book is about.

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) Afternoon, folks. It's been a while since I've been able to visit with you. Moderating in two groups has prevented me from being present more often. However, I couldn't resist dropping in when I saw the read was In Cold Blood.

After reading the "non-fiction" novel, I recommend watching both Capote movies, a great portion of each revolving around the writing of ICB. Although you would never guess from reading the book, Harper Lee was instrumental in opening doors for Capote to interview local residents who knew the murdered family.

The movies are: Capote, starring the late Philip Seymour Hoffman as Truman and Catherine Keener as Harper Lee. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379725/?....

The other: Infamous, which unfortunately was released approximately the same time as Capote. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420609/?... . Toby Jones was as phenomenal in his portrait of Capote as was Hoffman. Sandra Bullock was perfect as Harper Lee.

Of course, don't miss In Cold Blood. Capote was one of the writers on the script. It's a black and white classic, capturing the isolation of the crime scene. Robert Blake starred as Perry Hitchcock. Anyone who could portray an anti-social personality as well as he did was bound to have the cheese slide off his biscuit sooner or later. Uhm, that's a Kansas saying I've been told, by goodreader Jeffrey Keeten who lives approximately 60 miles from the Clutter crime scene. *grin*

Capote expected ICB to earn him his coveted Pulitzer which he was never awarded.

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 31 comments I have never read the book before but I did watch the movie and it was super boring. I am hoping the book is way better, which is usually the case anyways.

Laurie I tried to listen to this on audio a few months ago, and it started creeping me out. I find true crime difficult since the murders really happened. I guess I can deal with most fictional violence, but we see enough real violence on the news every day. But I'll give this another go but in print this time.

Marianne Ericka (thescribbleowl) Hello! (I'm kinda new, so...)

So far I'm loving it. It reminds me of Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult for some reason. I guess the violence aspect, and also the point of views that Capote took on with writing.

In any case I'm still reading. Even if it does creep me out as well.

message 7: by Franky (new) - added it

Franky Not sure what to completely make of it, and true crime really isn't my thing.

I'm about 100 pages in. I think that the side by side time line of the Clutters and then Perry and Dick make it seem very real. I think the journalistic approach makes it feel authentic also and less sensational.

I'm thinking,though, that Capote, while he did copious research, had to fill in at least some of the intricate details and dialogue on his own.

message 8: by Sam (last edited Aug 07, 2014 02:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) Franky wrote: "Not sure what to completely make of it, and true crime really isn't my thing.

I'm about 100 pages in. I think that the side by side time line of the Clutters and then Perry and Dick make it seem ..."

Last year or so I read somewhere that the whole thing is not so much true crime as it was said to be. I know it sounds stagy, but it was a serious source relying on files that had become public only recently. I'll have to track down the source...

ETA: Found it. It was in the Wall Street Journal.
But I guess that you shouldn't read this before you finished the book. I'll repost it in the other thread for further discussion :)

Laurie Iselin wrote: "Franky wrote: "Not sure what to completely make of it, and true crime really isn't my thing.

I'm about 100 pages in. I think that the side by side time line of the Clutters and then Perry and Dic..."

I read that and some other interviews too. Kind of disappointing to find that Capote appears to have changed some of the facts to fit what he wanted the story to be. I've alluded to the same in my final impressions comments.

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 31 comments I really hated the movie so I went into not expecting too much from the book.