Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2018 > 10.8R Mom (Rebekah via Karen Michele's Task)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6264 comments In remembrance of one of our long time reader's (Rebekah) mothers, we honor her by reading a book sharing one of her names: Bessie Lois Boyd Williams. Some examples would be Bessie Head, Lois Lowry, William Boyd, or Cinda Williams Chima. Names can be found in any position, but must match exactly.

Bessie left a legacy of reading; by her own avid reading, reading to her own children nightly and teaching disadvantaged first-graders to read. She imparted her love of reading to many.

Please post any questions/comments about task 10.8R in this thread.

message 2: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6264 comments We are getting a little crazy here at the RwS. We have split task 10.8 into two parts to be sure we honor our members.

A few notes about this unusual task:

1. A book claimed for 10.8 can work for either part K or R (please include which part in your claim).
2. A combo for 10.8 can be claimed for part K or R.
3. A book claimed for 10.8K does not qualify for a combo with 10.8 R.
4. A book claimed for 10.8K will not qualify for multiple unless a previous claim for 10.8K has also been made.
5. For a mega finish, one must only claim a book for 10.8K or 10.8R.

message 3: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 02, 2018 09:17PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Mods for making this exception! I really wanted to honor this woman who did so much for other people and gave so many the gift of literacy as well as the love of reading to her children. It really hit me unexpectedly hard when I lost her but I was given the blessing of being able to read to my mother at her bedside and return the love I had so felt from her. I tried very hard to earn a spot to do this, but just didn’t make it, so thanks again, Mods! You’re the best!
Thank you, Karen, for letting me share the task with you and making it possible. I really appreciate it bunches! It was so sweet of you to go to bat for me.

message 4: by Tien (last edited Jun 02, 2018 11:48PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments I am so sorry for your loss, Rebekah. And what a wonderful way to remember her :)

Could I make a suggestion that a heading also be placed for 10.8R on the Task Overview thread?

At the moment, the 2 tasks read jumbled together & confusing :)

message 5: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3116 comments This is a lovely idea. What a wonderful way to honour her :)

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan (gentlyread) | 358 comments I'm sorry for your loss, Rebekah. Thanks for letting us share in honoring your mom and her legacy of literacy.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12774 comments Tien wrote: "Could I make a suggestion that a heading also be placed for 10.8R on the Task Overview thread?"

Thanks for the heads up on this!

message 8: by Karin (new)

Karin I'm sorry for your loss Rebekah, and delighted that this can be part of our Summer RwS. I got my love of literature mostly from my mother, but my love of reading from both parents and this is a very special way to honour your mother.

message 9: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments Thank you all! Going through all her things I found so many mementos of her love for reading, the children she taught and all her “letters to God” and to our family I never even knew about! Miss her terribly

message 10: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1469 comments Your mother sounds like she was a delightful woman, Rebekah. Hold on to those wonderful memories. I'm sorry for your loss.

message 11: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 05, 2018 09:12AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments Connie wrote: "Your mother sounds like she was a delightful woman, Rebekah. Hold on to those wonderful memories. I'm sorry for your loss."

Thank you Connie! She was well-loved and even nurses in hospitals told her she was the sweetest patient. I miss her so much!

message 12: by Karin (last edited Jun 05, 2018 01:47PM) (new)

Karin So where does the shared name need to be? Author only? Title? I'm guessing not the main character, but if that is included, let us know.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12774 comments Karin wrote: "So where does the shared name need to be? Author only? Title? I'm guessing not the main character, but if that is included, let us know."

Author only. All of the examples are authors, but we could have made it clearer.

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karin wrote: "So where does the shared name need to be? Author only? Title? I'm guessing not the main character, but if that is included, let us know."

Author only. All of the examples are authors..."

I thought that might be the case by the examples, but just wanted to be sure because "a book sharing one of her names" was a bit vague--but I know how hard it is to word these things!!

message 15: by Lalitha (new)

Lalitha (falcon_) | 85 comments Sorry for your loss Rebekah. It is always painful but I am sure she would have liked to see a thread of this sort, dedicated to her :)

message 16: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4481 comments Lalitha wrote: "Sorry for your loss Rebekah. It is always painful but I am sure she would have liked to see a thread of this sort, dedicated to her :)"

Thank you. I think she would have been pleased too