Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2018-06 - Biographical Fiction Discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2836 comments Mod
Hope everyone is enjoying and getting into their Biographical Fiction books for the month. Here are a few questions that I thought it would be fun to discuss:

1. When you hear the phrase "biographical fiction" what is your expectation? Where do imaginary characters fit in this type of book, if at all.

2. What, if any, expectations do you have regarding how true to the actual facts a book is if it is designated as Biographical Fiction? More than regular Historical Fiction, the same?

3. What are some of your favorite Biographical Fiction books/authors and why?

As always, I hope you all have fun with this discussion. I love reading everyone's answers and hearing your opinions!

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1431 comments I think fiction is fiction, so I have no expectation as to the amount of actual vs. fictional facts, presence of imaginary characters, etc. I think one author may decide to adhere more to fact, another may want to be more inventive and creative. If I wanted a biography, I'd read non-fiction, I guess.

Biographical Fiction is not a genre I usually read, so I can't say I have favorite books or authors.

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 99 comments 1. Imaginary characters should only be used sparingly and in very small roles (the bus driver, the maid, etc). If it's Biographical fiction it should be as true to the point as possible.

2. Historical Fiction can be completely made up but BF should be as true as possible, otherwise, what's the point if it being a bio?

3. I really like Margaret George. I've read her books on Cleopatra and Helen of Troy. I don't love Philippa Gregory but I recognize her importance to the genre. I'm looking to get into Michelle Moran, probably starting with Nefertiti.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 811 comments Biographical fiction, to me, is fiction that is like a biography, whether or not the characters existed IRL. There are novels about real people that I don't think are biographical in nature.

An excellent example (there are others, but I thought of this just now) of biographical fiction of two real people is Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlmann