What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Satirical sci-fi/fantasy

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Musia (new)

Musia | 1 comments Not unlike Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams's books

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jun 02, 2018 05:13PM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Ones I've read:
A Canticle for Liebowitz
Gulliver's Travels
The Cyberiad
Slaughterhouse-Five and Cat's Cradle
The Mouse on the Moon (sequel to The Mouse That Roared, which is satire but not within my definition of science fiction or fantasy)
The Princess Bride

Ones I've heard of:

An Alien Heat
The Green Gene
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Meat Ladder to Mars
Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions

If you meant "humorous" sci-fi/fantasy (not necessarily "satirical") there's a list for that (there's even one or two on the list that isn't written by Pratchett or Adams): https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jun 03, 2018 10:27PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
How Much for Just the Planet? yes, it's a classic Star Trek novel, but many of the classic Treks used humour. But this one is just too good to NOT mention.

message 4: by Keith (new)

Keith | 223 comments Will Save the Galaxy for Food
Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers

These two are humorous parodies of old-school space opera. Some darker sci-fi satire might be:

The Eternal Champion (a dark subversion of the Edgar Rice Burroughs-style pulp "Earthman gets zapped to alien world, defeats bad guys, marries princess" scenario)
The Iron Dream (featuring a book-within-a-book written by an alternate universe version of Adolf Hitler, exploring the fascist subtext in some sci-fi)

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments Terminal Alliance by Jim C. Hines. This book is awesome! A riot to read. A unique world with interesting characters with a fantastic plot. A must read for lovers of sci-fi and humor.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

A Stainless Steel Rat is Born The entire series is a hoot. Slippery Jim diGriz is a con man in the future. He gets caught and has to "go straight". But he still manages to turn a (dis)honest buck.

message 7: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments A lot of Diana Wynne Jones books probably qualify, but utmost
Dark Lord of Derkholm, a book that imagines the chaos in a magical world which has become a destination amusement park for tourists from the nonmagical universe next door. It's somewhat a followup to her The Tough Guide to Fantasyland.

message 8: by Kell I Am (new)

Kell I Am | 187 comments Christopher Moore's books are very funny IMHO, my favorites are Practical Demonkeeping and A Dirty Job.

message 9: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 274 comments A. Lee Martinez has quite a few that may work. Monster is basically a fantasy buddy comedy with magic, and The Automatic Detective is a noir mystery, but with a robot.

message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments Hillary wrote: "A. Lee Martinez has quite a few that may work. Monster is basically a fantasy buddy comedy with magic, and The Automatic Detective is a noir mystery, but with a robot."

I second this author recommendation. I say also check out Martinez's Gil's All Fright Diner and Helen and Troy's Epic Road Quest

message 12: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments I second The Princess Bride.

message 13: by David (new)

David (jazztea) | 67 comments Bill the Galactic Hero series by Harry Harrison are funny and satirical. Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner is a good one too. I would definitely recommend Phule’s Company by Robert Asprin and the next two books in the series.

message 14: by Tathariell (new)

Tathariell | 175 comments Villains by Necessity, the bad guys have to save the world by bringing Evil back into play.

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott Maybe Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series.

message 16: by Kristina Marie (new)

Kristina Marie | 137 comments If you don't mind some Juvenile, Whales on Stilts is a good one.

message 17: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Excellent suggestion Tathariell. I really enjoyed that book too.

message 18: by David (new)

David (jazztea) | 67 comments Robert Asprin Phule’s series and the M.Y.T.H series by the same author too. I would also recommend Tom Holt and most of the books he’s written.

message 19: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Rock 'N' Roll Babes From Outer Space—like a sexed-up Hitchhiker’s Guide.

message 20: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ragnarok and Roll: Tales of Cassie Zukav, Weirdness Magnet mostly fantasy short stories set in Key West.

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch Ok, I have to admit--I love, love, love this one. It's a "what would happen if the Anti-christ was raised somewhere that neither Heaven nor Hell knew about?"

Retief! and assorted books in the series. The books tend to be collections of short stories featuring Retief, the stalwart hero who is out the save humans and their place in the galaxy despite the Diplomatic corps. Retief and the Pangalactic Pageant of Pulchritude is one of the funnier ones.

message 21: by A book away from an episode of hoarders (last edited Jun 26, 2018 12:02PM) (new)

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments I didn't see these mentioned so I'll add:

Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente Redshirts by John Scalzi The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1) by Larry Correia

a little vulgar but I enjoyed Critical Failures by Robert Bevan

message 22: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Mark of the Moderately Vicious Vampire (and the rest of the books in the series)

Slaves of the Volcano God and the rest of the series.

message 23: by CrazyUnicorn (new)

CrazyUnicorn | 225 comments Resenting the hero by Moira J. Moore. Kinda fits :)

message 24: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Resenting the Hero for the link.

message 26: by Rosa (last edited Sep 23, 2018 07:41PM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments You could check my list, Rock 'n' Roll Sci-Fi and Fantasy.