Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > Least Favourite Book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lora (new)

Lora | 227 comments What are your least favourite books in the world?

message 2: by Elaine (new)

Elaine H | 3 comments I never finished it

message 3: by Mimi 'Pans' (new)

Mimi 'Pans' Herondale  | 1 comments I hate: any Janette Oke book
And Black Beauty

message 4: by MissBecka (new)

MissBecka Gee (missbeckagee) | 113 comments The Scarlet Letter

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 640 comments I don't think I have one... sure there were books I didn't like, but I dot remember one being particularly bad.

message 6: by Ron (new)

Ron Wroblewski Of the 1592 books that I have on goodreads that have been read I have marked 11 with one star - which means it was a waste of time to read them. Here they are in no order except how they were listed.
1. The Prayer Warrior
2. Catcher in the Rye
3. The Anna Papers
4. Basket Case
5. The Stand
6. Pet Semetary
7. The Road to Omaha
8. The Road
9. Reality 2.0: Shamans, Psychedelics, and the Next Step in Evolution
10. Pooh and the Millenium
11. The Seat of the Soul

message 7: by Lora (new)

Lora | 227 comments Mine are:
1. The Fault in Our Stars
2. The Leaving
3. Crossed (DNFed, didn't even get more than 60 pages in)
4. Every Day
5. Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 640 comments @Lota agree on Crossed. I actually finished it but was so bored most of the time, and I dnf'ed the third book.

message 9: by Bethany ♡ (new)

Bethany ♡ (bfmmcdermott) | 14 comments Boneland although I might try it again

message 10: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 56 comments My one star books are:

Platform - Offensive
The Mongolian Wizard - A 25 page short story masquerading as a novel
Sound Mind - Confusing
Dry Bones in the Valley - Boring

message 11: by C.A. (new)

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 194 comments Anything by Ernest Hemingway and/or F. Scott Fitzgerald
And the Black Dagger Brotherhood books Dark Lover (book 1)

message 15: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 448 comments The Giving Tree, by Shel Silverstein. Repugnant.

The Casual Vacancy, by J. K. Rowling. It was like she had to purge a bunch of horrid stuff from her soul after the end of the Potter franchise, and I couldn't bring myself to finish it. These were people with whom I definitely didn't want to hang out. Then, of course, she wrote the brilliant Cormorant Strike series, and all was forgiven.

The Queen of the Tearling, by Erika Johansen. Derivative, inconsistent, cliched, bad world-building.

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 141 comments Armada (Ender's Game rip off)

Ready Player One (Ironically I really enjoyed the movie)

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
(Blatant X-men rip off)

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2 (The worst example of milking the cash cow I've ever seen)

The Maze Runner (Lifeless, cardboard cut-out characters, the slang is really stupid ,too many questions and not enough answers)

Divergent (Literally, nothing about the book makes sense)

City of Bones ( Rips off Harry Potter, Buffy: The Vampire Slayer and Bleach simultaneously and the author is a terrible person)

Jaws (There's barely any focus on the shark and too much focus on a stupid romance)

The Circle ( Another pointless romance and an insufferable main character)

Thirteen Reasons Why (Insufferable main character and glorifies suicide)

Throne of Glass ( Insufferable main character who doesn't do her her job and a pointless romance)

Scythe (Overhyped and somehow makes death boring)

The Young Elites (Singlehandedly, the worst book I have ever read)

message 17: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (paperbackbibliophile) Reader Extraordinaire wrote: "Armada (Ender's Game rip off)

(Blatant X-men rip off)

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Part..."

I agree with just about every book you listed!

message 18: by Janvi (new)

Janvi (janvipatel) I really hate Twilight and the Harry Potter series! The philosopher's stone, I tried reading but couldn't read longer than 15 pages. It was so damn boring and childish and all. I hate it, for some reason, it just didnt't got into me. Nor twilight. I read all of its books thinking I'll catch some interest in it, but no luck.

message 20: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 324 comments Reader Extraordinaire wrote: “Armada (Ender’s Game rip off)

(Blatant X-men rip off)

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Part…”

This is why I value your friendship – I totally agree (though some I haven’t read). Young Elites is my worst book ever, too. I seethe with hatred.

message 21: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 324 comments Melliott wrote: “The Giving Tree, by Shel Silverstein. Repugnant.

The Casual Vacancy, by J. K. Rowling. It was like she had to purge a bunch of horrid stuff from her soul after the end of the Potter franchise, and…”

I found The Giving Tree to be an example of an abusive relationship. I did enjoy Casual Vacancy; everything clicked together at the end.

message 22: by Danyelle (new)

Danyelle (danisbooks) | 1 comments just off the top of my head Rape

message 23: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 56 comments Melliott wrote: "The Giving Tree, by Shel Silverstein. Repugnant.

The Casual Vacancy, by J. K. Rowling. It was like she had to purge a bunch of horrid stuff from her soul after the end of the Potter franchise, and..."

I liked the Casual Vacancy because it captured British small town politics so well. It was bleak but sadly many people's lives are like this.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

i haven't read so much book, but until today, twivorviore by Ika Natassa is my least favorite book, i can't stand the cringey-ness, and not finished it. Maybe that was just not my cup of tea idk, i hope i can give this book to someone else. That was the only of her book that i read so far. she's quite famous in my country so i was curious. i think i will try to read her another book (esp the one that was already filmed)

message 25: by Muskaan (new)

Muskaan Gambhir | 15 comments I can name quite a few but the most pointless would be the mara dyer series, I mean what I hate the most about the series is that it could have been so much better. the plot was pretty good, but I think the author did a very poor job writing it.

message 26: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 448 comments Exactly, Audrey. (re: The Giving Tree) Repulsive demanding little boy and self-sacrificing, self-effacing mother figure (or all women) giving it all up until there's nothing left, and then he basically says Hmpf! and walks away.

message 27: by OurLordOfTheUnderground (last edited Jun 06, 2018 04:05PM) (new)

OurLordOfTheUnderground  | 4 comments Anything by Jane Austen
I just always found her books boeing compared to things like Little Women and Sherlock and Shakespeare

The Screaming Staircase
Once again boring as all hell
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Blind
You can read my full rant review on my profile but I absolutely hated it

Eragon
Lord of the rings with a dragon

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two
Do I even have to explain this again?

I'm sure theres more but these are my top 5 most disliked

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 141 comments Audrey wrote: "Reader Extraordinaire wrote: “Armada (Ender’s Game rip off)

(Blatant X-men rip off)

Harry Pot..."

Rochelle wrote: "Reader Extraordinaire wrote: "Armada (Ender's Game rip off)

(Blatant X-men rip off)

Harry Pot..."

Thank you both for relishing in my hate :) I feel like our baggage kinda dictates what we take from a book, does it not? So, it's completely subjective if people personally like a book or hate it.

However, there are some books no matter how you look at it are objectively bad like Fifty Shades of Grey, City of Bones and Eragon.

message 29: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 194 comments While I didn't hate it, I have read only the first Harry Potter book and am totally unable to pick up and read any of the others. But that's because of what was going on when I read that first one. I was reading it out loud to my oldest grandson. We finished reading it on 9/11/2001--while in the PICU at Children's Hospital in Columbus, OH. He'd been in the PICU for 27 days at that point. . .

message 30: by Reynar (new)

Reynar Swan (mysticabooks) | 8 comments Twilight is the worst excuse for storytelling I've come across. Fifty Shades is a close second.

message 31: by Danni (new)

Danni lynn ❤ (danni_lynn88) | 52 comments the cutting room...it was just awful at least for me

message 32: by Hunter (new)

Hunter | 51 comments I don't like one-starring books, but sometimes they're so bad it has to be done.
So, here are my top 3 least-favorites at the moment:

1. Children of Eden (everything wrong with YA fiction in a single book)
2. Divergent (a blatant rip-off of The Hunger Games minus any bit of enjoyability)
3. Turned (I don't even have time to list the issues I have with this one)

message 33: by DJ (new)

DJ (bishounengirl20) | 2 comments Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Ready player one and Twilight.

message 35: by Julie (new)

Julie | 4 comments After by Anna Todd

message 36: by Louise (new)

Louise | 102 comments Heartless Overrated and a boring book, with boring characters

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children Incredibly boring, the story and the characters..

Let the Right One In also boring and slow.....

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two I love the harry potter series but this just annoyed me

Fifty Shades of Grey do I need to say anything about this book?

Breaking Dawn

The Bane Chronicles Why write this?

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner or this?

message 37: by Aida ☾ (new)

Aida ☾ (itsamangotree) | 398 comments Halo

My best friend recommended it to me, and I absolutely hated it.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Matched by ally condie: the author made the main character who is a girl seem pretty and insignificant while maligned book extremely predictable. There is also a best friend who is out into a awkward position and then is hurt but forgives the main character easier than he was supposed to. WTF?

message 39: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 324 comments I absolutely loathe Graceling and The Young Elites with Throne of Glass and City of Bones close behind.

I was bored to tears by The Night Circus and Strange the Dreamer, which I still haven’t been able to finish. I didn’t like The Book Thief much.

@Rochelle, I’ve seen enough reviews of those books to know I wouldn’t like them, either.

message 40: by Stella (new)

Stella | 108 comments Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two don't get me started this book was just awful!
Nothing But the Truth had to read this for school and hated it!

message 41: by Sassy Sedusa (new)

Sassy Sedusa | 1537 comments The Alchemist
Sleeping Beauties

message 42: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (p34cht34) | 11 comments I absolutely hated Alice's adventures in wonderland. It almost bored me to death.

message 43: by Ray (new)

Ray Jordan | 33 comments Somebody that I used to Know
Mercury Falls

message 44: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 448 comments Wibbly Wobbly wrote: "Anything by Jane Austen
I just always found her books boeing compared to things like Little Women and Sherlock and Shakespeare

The Screaming Staircase
Once again bor..."

Oh, I loved The Screaming Staircase, and the whole series!

message 45: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 448 comments Audrey wrote: "I absolutely loathe Graceling and The Young Elites with Throne of Glass and City of Bones close behind.

I was bored to tears by The Night Circus and Strange the Dreamer, which I still haven’t been..."

Ouch! I don't see HOW you can lump Graceling and Strange the Dreamer in with those others, which admittedly I didn't like either. But I think both Graceling and Strange the Dreamer are brilliant!

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 141 comments Okay you guys are probably going to hate me even more now, but Six of crows is the worst book I read. This really didn't jive with me and it legitimately felt like the book had a vendetta against me specifically; not a single good character in sight, the world-building was crap, the romance was atrocious, the diversity just felt like a checklist and not something that added to the characters and the general fact that this is been done before and done a lot better.

message 47: by Heather (new)

Heather (hersecretsmile) | 56 comments After by Anna Todd
Heartless
Body Movers
Frankenstein (I know this is a Classic but YUCK)
The Nanny Diaries
Hush, Hush
We Were Liars
November 9
Something Borrowed
Tiger's Curse
A Discovery of Witches
Breathe by Kristen Ashley

message 48: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 126 comments So many books listed here that I loved (or in any case, didn’t hate). As Reader Extraordinaire mentioned it’s completely subjective whether a person likes or hates a book. And as someone else mentioned in another thread, books are like art, so there will always be someone who loves it and someone who hates it. Therefore I don’t believe in “objectively bad books”. Even my own tastes change over time!

At this moment in time the book I really hated is Allen Carr's Easyweigh to Lose Weight.

message 49: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 324 comments I do love Alice in Wonderland and The Screaming Staircase.

Still hate Graceling so much; sorry :P

message 50: by Serena (new)

Serena Darking (serenadarking) | 26 comments I've read 180 books and I have to say that none of them I actually hated.

Anna and the French Kiss comes close but I didn't realize how much I hated it until after I read it.
I also didn't like Behind Her Eyes very much because it was way too unrealistic.

« previous 1