Nominations & Polls > July 2018 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 757 comments Mod
Categories for nomination for July are:

Family & Self and War & Travel

so let's have those suggestions...

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments Since one of the other groups I'm in won't do it, I nominate Lord Jim by Conrad for War & Travel

For Fam & Self, I say The Family Moskat by Isaac Bashevis Singer

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 245 comments I will second Lord Jim for War and Travel.

Family and Self- not too keen on this division of the Guardian list.

(I imagine I say this every time, and no one cares..)

Man of Property has been done.

Vicar of Wakefield has been done.

Hunger has been done.

So I nominate Ordeal of Richard Feverel - Complete.

Normally, I cut and paste the short account from the Guardian list, but this one happens to be full of spoilers.

message 4: by Jackie (last edited Jun 07, 2018 09:50PM) (new)

Jackie | 88 comments I like the idea of Lord Jim, and for Family and Self I recommend
Sour Sweet by Timothy Mo. An easy and enjoyable read I came across accidentally and have re-read a few times

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

For Family & Self I nominate, Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson.

For War & Travel I nominate, Monkey: The Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en.

message 6: by Fay (new)

Fay Roberts | 363 comments @Christopher - ohh of course we care! Why don’t you like it? The genre itself or the vagueness of the definition?

message 7: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 245 comments Fay wrote: "@Christopher - ohh of course we care! Why don’t you like it? The genre itself or the vagueness of the definition?"

Thanks. Just looking down the list I thought a lot of the choices seemed dreary.

I don't know anyone who's a Guardian 1000 completist (although there are a lot of Boxall completists), maybe most people want a 'menu' with some interesting choices on it.

message 8: by Darren (new)

Christopher - I agree that Family and Self seems a bit uninspiring - I just counted up and it's the category that I've read least from - there are a lot of titles that I feel like I ought to read but can't get excited about (e.g. Little Women, Death of Virgil, Evelina, The Way of All Flesh, The Man Without Qualities (how long!?), The Awakening, The Bell Jar, The Color Purple, Silence, and various by Proust, Henry James, Joyce, Faulkner)

message 9: by Darren (last edited Jun 04, 2018 03:58AM) (new)

I now feel that I need to redress the balance by stressing that there are some Family and Self titles that I am keen to read, so:

I nominate One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee I'll nominate The Bell Jar for Family and Self, and I'll go with Treasure Island for War and Travel.

message 11: by Darren (new)

I have already read Monkey and Treasure Island, and I am planning on reading a different Conrad soon,
so will add a War & Travel nomination:
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

message 12: by Darren (new)

so we have a healthy crop of nominations:

Family and Self
The Family Moskat
The Ordeal of Richard Feverel
Sour Sweet
Behind the Scenes at the Museum
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Bell Jar

War and Travel
Lord Jim
Monkey: The Journey to the West
Treasure Island
The Things They Carried

I'll close the nominations tomorrow (so be quick if you don't fancy any of the above)
and put up Polls on Sunday...

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 88 comments Nope, I can't figure out how to vote. I have never done this before so please excuse my ineptitude.

message 14: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 245 comments Jackie wrote: "Nope, I can't figure out how to vote. I have never done this before so please excuse my ineptitude."

Jackie,

You can't vote just yet, but you can still nominate something if you want. Darren said he would create the poll on Sunday.

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 88 comments oh, of course. That explains all...

message 16: by Lia (new)

Lia For Family & Self I nominate Silence by Shūsaku Endō

Silence by Shūsaku Endō

I’m so tempted to nominate Heart of Darkness, I love that book! But since Lord Jim is already on the list I’ll second that.

message 17: by Darren (new)

Lia - Thanks for that nomination, making the final list look like this:

Family and Self
The Family Moskat
The Ordeal of Richard Feverel
Sour Sweet
Behind the Scenes at the Museum
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Bell Jar
Silence

War and Travel
Lord Jim
Monkey: The Journey to the West
Treasure Island
The Things They Carried

NOMINATIONS CLOSED!
-------------------------------

I will put the Polls up later this evening or tomorrow at the latest...

message 18: by Darren (new)

with only one day left to vote, it looks like Lord Jim will win the War & Travel
however, the Family & Self poll is much closer (indeed currently deadlocked at the top!) so it needs a late voter or somebody to change their vote to break the tie...

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 88 comments I would change my vote, but I am not sure how to do it.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

That's the link to the poll. Scroll down a bit to the Family and Self poll. Under the last choice, you'll see some links: comments is first, then right under that is 'change your vote'. Click on that and you can pick something like Silence by Shūsaku Endō

message 21: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 88 comments Done, thanks Bryan!

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments You're welcome!

message 23: by Darren (new)

I assume we have all spotted that the July books will be:
Lord Jim and Silence

I bagged a copy of Silence on eBay yesterday, so will be reading that, but not sure about Lord Jim...

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments I have them both queued up for July!

message 25: by Lia (new)

Lia I'm also on board for both!

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 88 comments Me too, eBay trumps kindle again.

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments I have read both of these but I might reread Lord Jim as it has been many years since I last read it.

message 28: by Darren (new)

apologies for not swapping over to the July books yet (I will do that later today), but I was doing something non-book-related over the weekend! :oO

(this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiT2n... if anybody's interested (I was in the crowd btw not on stage!))

message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 88 comments aww that takes me right back!!!

message 30: by Phil (new)

Phil (lanark) | 467 comments I'm hoping to take part in both readings this month. First time in a long while :)

message 31: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 88 comments Darren, I just came across this it might interest you if you don't know it already https://www.newmodelarmy.org/index.ph...

message 32: by Darren (new)

Jackie - Thanks for that - Lady Slugge and I are both big Army fans - we used to follow them on tour all round the country and abroad too! Now we just try to get to 1 or 2 gigs per year - maybe see you at Nottingham or Paris? ;o)

message 33: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 88 comments If ever they come to Greece...