75 Books...More or Less! discussion

2016-2022 Chat > Audiobooks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I was just wondering if it’s possible to have. Audiobook section or discussion or something like that. We all seemed to be using audiobooks. If not suitable ignore.

Thanks

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7998 comments Mod
Sounds good! This is a good place for it! :)

message 3: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments Sounds good! Since I listen to audiobooks every day on my way to and from work, I go through a lot of them :)

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Stacie wrote: "Sounds good! Since I listen to audiobooks every day on my way to and from work, I go through a lot of them :)"

Ok wonderful I just downloaded

Christopher Moore. Noir.

message 5: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments I tend to play Candy Crush or have supper/lunch while listening. Audiobooks have seriously increased how many books I go through in a month.

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Shelby wrote: "I tend to play Candy Crush or have supper/lunch while listening. Audiobooks have seriously increased how many books I go through in a month."

Mine too I have increase how many from 40 to 75 now because of the audiobooks.

message 7: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Yes, my reading numbers have soared since listening to audiobooks and then even more now that I'm listening at 1.5-1.85x speed!

I have an hour commute each way to work a majority of my listening happens then. Plus I listen while running errands, I have a Bluetooth headset so my phone doesn't have headphones wires getting caught on things. I listen while cooking, cleaning, dishes, and when I'm on my laptop! I'm listening right now! ;) I also lay out in the summer and listen then too.

Basically always reading in some form or another! :)

message 8: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments I just rewarded myself for clearing 11 books from my To Read list... by getting myself 5 new audiobooks, LOL!

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 40 comments I love audiobooks! Most of mine are from Audible. I listen on the bus, while doing housework, crafts, etc. They help me fall asleep at night too.

message 10: by Joanne (last edited Jun 03, 2018 02:42PM) (new)

Joanne Elyse wrote: "Yes, my reading numbers have soared since listening to audiobooks and then even more now that I'm listening at 1.5-1.85x speed!

I have an hour commute each way to work a majority of my listening ..."

Elyse I have Bluetooth as well aren’t they great. I love them 😍 makes it so much easier you can walk around the entire house well I can as I have small house and no problem at all.

Stacie, yep me too I tend too look for audios now before anything, ebooks or paperbacks are like omg last resort. 😂

Amy. Ahh Amy I love listening to a book at night in bed it’s great for going to sleep, you just put it on timer, wonderful.

message 11: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4140 comments Mod
Okay so now I need a Bluetooth...lol Any recommendations for an Android phone?

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Andrea wrote: "Okay so now I need a Bluetooth...lol Any recommendations for an Android phone?"

Don’t get one!! just get an apple. I had a Samsung from the Moment I had it I had trouble, I had to put new SIM cards in, when I realised it wasn’t the SIM card it was the actual phone I had to put it in to get serviced and they had to reinstalled everything and a new programme to boot. Finally I thought all my problems are solved but than not two weeks later the screen started to play up and do you think it would play up for them, not on your life so I decided to buy the contract out. It was a piece of junk never again.

message 13: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "Okay so now I need a Bluetooth...lol Any recommendations for an Android phone?"

I have a Google Pixel, it's Android, and I bought this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...

They're wireless but connected to each other but you can hide that wire under your hair. I love them!! It charges really fast and then holds that charge for over a month! I've used them at work for like 6 hours and the battery life barely moved. The sound quality is great and there's volume controls on the wire. And the range is really good, I walked down the hall at work without my phone and it didn't turn off.

message 14: by Rachel Joy (new)

Rachel Joy I also have a long commute to work and sometimes have time on my hands at work, so I love audiobooks! (Ironically, I am listening to one right now.)

I get mine from my library's online audio collection, which isn't that great, and I listen to them on my little purple iPod.

message 15: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Rachel Joy wrote: "I also have a long commute to work and sometimes have time on my hands at work, so I love audiobooks! (Ironically, I am listening to one right now.)

I get mine from my library's online audio colle..."

I also listen on my iPod a lot! It's basically the only thing I use my iPod for now. lol. That and "saving" library e-books that expire. I just download it to my Kindle app and then keep the WiFi off until I finish it! ;)

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3093 comments Rachel Joy wrote: "I also have a long commute to work and sometimes have time on my hands at work, so I love audiobooks! (Ironically, I am listening to one right now.)

I get mine from my library's online audio collection, which isn't that great, and I listen to them on my little purple iPod. "

If our county library system does not have a book or audiobook or whatever, then we can check STATEWIDE resources. I live in Minnesota, so it is called MNLink. Maybe your library has something similar... Good luck.

My daughter uses Audible, but that can be pricey.

OH, almost forgot, sometimes you can find whole audio books on youtube. Think it is moderately legal...

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Carol wrote: "Rachel Joy wrote: "I also have a long commute to work and sometimes have time on my hands at work, so I love audiobooks! (Ironically, I am listening to one right now.)

I get mine from my library's..."

Yes what a discovery YouTube is for audiobooks I have bookmarked a lot so far.

message 18: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2990 comments I am SO happy about Audiobooks. With my eye issue, I'd have no way to read if I didn't have audiobook access. OverDrive, Hoopla, Audible and Scribd are now my new best friends.
YouTube has audiobook? HOW did I not know this??

I seriously need wireless ear buds. I am looking into the ones from Apple. I like the Bose ones they also sell, but those are $50 more and I am already gasping at the $150 price. But I have these suckers in my ears almost 12 hrs a day and I really need to upgrade. Yep, I have no life. ;-)

message 19: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am SO happy about Audiobooks. With my eye issue, I'd have no way to read if I didn't have audiobook access. OverDrive, Hoopla, Audible and Scribd are now my new best friends.
YouTube has audiobo..."

Yes LOVE my boss headphones 🎧. Don’t worry I didn’t know it either found it by accident.

message 20: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am SO happy about Audiobooks. With my eye issue, I'd have no way to read if I didn't have audiobook access. OverDrive, Hoopla, Audible and Scribd are now my new best friends.
YouTube has audiobo..."

I just linked these to Andrea in another thread, these are the ones I use and I love them. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...

Sound quality is great, volume controls on wire, battery life lasts a long time!

message 21: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2990 comments Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "I am SO happy about Audiobooks. With my eye issue, I'd have no way to read if I didn't have audiobook access. OverDrive, Hoopla, Audible and Scribd are now my new best friends..."

These don't bug the heck out of your neck? I am afraid that the wire will drive me crazy.

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3093 comments Love Audio Books. I use actual CDs from the library, Hoopla, Cloud Library and RBDigital. Sometimes I found some hard to find books on youtube. Also, I use Librivox for older, classic books.

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 40 comments I have a few Audible credits to use... does anyone have any particular recommendations? I love finding a narrator who really adds to my enjoyment of the book (e.g. the Cormoran Strike audiobooks). What have been some of your favourite audiobooks recently? :)

message 24: by Stacie (last edited Jun 08, 2018 01:09PM) (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments Amy wrote: "I have a few Audible credits to use... does anyone have any particular recommendations? I love finding a narrator who really adds to my enjoyment of the book (e.g. the Cormoran Strike audiobooks). ..."

I loved Robin Miles's narration of The Broken Earth Trilogy ( The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1) by N.K. Jemisin The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth, #3) by N.K. Jemisin The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth, #2) by N.K. Jemisin ). She also narrated Hidden Figures ( Hidden Figures The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly ) which I liked a lot.

Anything narrated by Neil Gaiman.

I like Ralph Cosham, too. It's not exactly new, but my favorite by him is Watership Down ( Watership Down (Watership Down, #1) by Richard Adams )

And for non-fiction, any time something new by Professor Michael Drout comes out, it's an instabuy for me. It's not that he has the best voice and narrative skill (he's not bad, by any means, but he's no James Earl Jones either), but he's such a giant nerd about many of the same things I'm a giant nerd about- and he's so good at communicating information and his joy in the subject- that I've listened to several of his lectures several times. My favorites are Rings, Swords and Monsters: Exploring Fantasy Literature Rings, Swords, and Monsters Exploring Fantasy Literature by Michael D.C. Drout and From Here to Infinity: An Exploration of Science Fiction Literature From Here To Infinity An Exploration of Science Fiction Literature by Michael D.C. Drout . (It's kind of a 'preaching to the choir' thing)

message 25: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Amy wrote: "I have a few Audible credits to use... does anyone have any particular recommendations? I love finding a narrator who really adds to my enjoyment of the book (e.g. the Cormoran Strike audiobooks). ..."

I love Penelope Keith, she does M C Beaton. She has a great voice.

Also Stephen fry he has done a lot, though I have only listen to his Sherlock Holmes narration work, which was very good.

message 26: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3093 comments Joanne wrote: "Amy wrote: "I have a few Audible credits to use... does anyone have any particular recommendations? I love finding a narrator who really adds to my enjoyment of the book (e.g. the Cormoran Strike a..."

Off to Be the Wizard is HILARIOUS! The narrator really makes it. It is fantasy.

message 27: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Here's a list I found a while back for recommended audiobooks.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy | 40 comments These are great, thanks all!!

message 29: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Elyse wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Okay so now I need a Bluetooth...lol Any recommendations for an Android phone?"

I have a Google Pixel, it's Android, and I bought this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..."

This look perfect! I'm going to order them next week!

message 30: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Elyse wrote: "Rachel Joy wrote: "I also have a long commute to work and sometimes have time on my hands at work, so I love audiobooks! (Ironically, I am listening to one right now.)

I get mine from my library's..."

My Ipod finally died :(

message 31: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "My Ipod finally died :(..."

Oh noooo!! That's so sad!

message 32: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Yup, it was a sad day I discovered it was dead. My Android phone is working fine as a replacement :)

message 33: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I found this really great article about listening to audiobooks vs. reading. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/08/op...

message 34: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1876 comments Elyse wrote: "I found this really great article about listening to audiobooks vs. reading. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/08/op......"

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

message 35: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Elyse wrote: "I found this really great article about listening to audiobooks vs. reading. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/08/op......"

That is really interesting and I agreed with some of the facts. Like I don't think I would learn Something factual like science listening. I think I would need to read that because I'm a visual learner.

message 36: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "Elyse wrote: "I found this really great article about listening to audiobooks vs. reading. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/08/op......"

I listened to Astrophysics for People in a Hurry and did not absorb one thing. I even had to start it 2 or 3 times because I wasn't paying close enough attention and I was 30 minutes in not knowing what he was talking about. lol

message 37: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Elyse wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Elyse wrote: "I found this really great article about listening to audiobooks vs. reading. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/08/op......"

I think for me it would be a good follow up to reading the physical book. Sometimes if I am struggling with a physical or audio book I will try the other version before giving up. Usually it does the trick for me.

message 38: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments If I've already got a basic understanding of something- a scaffolding to build on, so to speak- then audiobooks of educational subjects are great for me (pretty obvious from the amount of Great Courses and Modern Scholar titles I go through, lol)... unless there's a lot of math-based concepts because I'm very bad at math and need to see concrete visuals those!

message 39: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Stacie, I am the worst at math!! It's like my brain just does not go past basic math concept. I would have graduated college with a 4.0 had it not been for the advanced math classes I had to take.

message 40: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "Stacie, I am the worst at math!! It's like my brain just does not go past basic math concept. I would have graduated college with a 4.0 had it not been for the advanced math classes I had to take."

Dittttto. Once I didn't understand Algebra, it was downhill from there. lol

message 41: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I feel like math builds and I never grasped it from the beginning and that was my demise.

message 42: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "I feel like math builds and I never grasped it from the beginning and that was my demise."

100% true.

message 43: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments Andrea wrote: "I feel like math builds and I never grasped it from the beginning and that was my demise."

Yep! I keep getting the feeling that I could understand it, if I could just get the right teacher/example/explanation, so I keep trying. But it's like when you are trying to think of a word and it's on the tip of your tongue, almost solid, and then -poof!- it's gone. That's me and math, lol!

message 44: by Tina (new)

Tina | 3 comments I find some books are the best when on audiobooks but I try and read and then listen to my favorite books. It's an entirely different experience. Two books that I think are better as an audiobook are the Poisonwood Bible and ROOM. Also you may be disappointed when you listen to what you thought was a good book but when you listen to it,the dialogue seems to to be awful or you'll notice that the author keeps using the same phrases all the time. Or if the actor reading it has a terrible voice - that can ruin an otherwise good book.

message 45: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Tina wrote: "I find some books are the best when on audiobooks but I try and read and then listen to my favorite books. It's an entirely different experience. Two books that I think are better as an audiobook a..."

Yes totally agree, I often find that. I find it hard to read Sherlock Holmes but listening to it and especially Stephen fry well it’s brilliant.

message 46: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Tina wrote: "I find some books are the best when on audiobooks but I try and read and then listen to my favorite books. It's an entirely different experience. Two books that I think are better as an audiobook a..."

Oh yes the narrator can absolutely make or break an audiobook!

message 47: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2990 comments Joanne wrote: "Tina wrote: "I find some books are the best when on audiobooks but I try and read and then listen to my favorite books. It's an entirely different experience. Two books that I think are better as a..."

I just got that audiobook on sale from Audible and I CANNOT WAIT!! I love Stephen Fry!!

message 48: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2990 comments Elyse wrote: "Tina wrote: "I find some books are the best when on audiobooks but I try and read and then listen to my favorite books. It's an entirely different experience. Two books that I think are better as a..."

We are reading a book for book-club and everyone loves it and I do not. The audio is just horrible.

message 49: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Tina wrote: "I find some books are the best when on audiobooks but I try and read and then listen to my favorite books. It's an entirely different experience. Two books that I think a..."

Oh noooo! That stinks!

message 50: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Dawn Michelle wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Tina wrote: "I find some books are the best when on audiobooks but I try and read and then listen to my favorite books. It's an entirely different experience. Two books that I think ..."

Ooooo exciting hope you enjoy it. Stephen fry has the best narration voice

« previous 1