Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group discussion

Don't Give Up On A Book

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

There are times when I really try to keep reading a book even if I'm bored with it but when I'm finished, I'm disappointed, especially if the ending made me cringe.
Other times, I won't read a book if it has too much graphic violence.
When do you stop reading a book?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoyed Gone Girl. Maybe it's me but I thought it was more of a literary thriller than a psychological thriller so I agree on your point there. I thought it relied more on the characters driving the story. I didn't like the main characters but I think that Flynn wanted it that way. Interesting that Ben Affleck is the star in the movie and the ending is changed. A lot of people didn't like the ending.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Sometimes, reading a book can backfire on you if you're not enjoying it either. I did not like Sharp Objects and by the time I was done, I wished that I never read it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Let's see how this question does now with more members.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I can understand that. I've stopped reading certain books for that reason.

message 6: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments Ron wrote: "Sometimes, reading a book can backfire on you if you're not enjoying it either. I did not like Sharp Objects and by the time I was done, I wished that I never read it."

RON,I am feeling that way about Dark Places; in fact, it is coloring my mood, and the weather is another problem.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I bought this book and I haven't heard good things about it. I didn't read it yet. Not sure if I want to.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

If I didn't pay anything for it, I will give up from boredom. If I shelled out money, I'll read the whole darn thing.

message 9: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 2 comments It is very rare for me to give up on a book, though if I do it is usually only if I got it for free. I always hope the Book will redeem itself by the end!

message 10: by Domonique (new)

Domonique | 25 comments Tonya wrote: "It is very rare for me to give up on a book, though if I do it is usually only if I got it for free. I always hope the Book will redeem itself by the end!"

I'm the same way, it's very rare that I don't finish a book until the end. If it's really bad from the start, then I'll give up before I get to far into it. But if I've already read halfway thought, I might as well finish to the end.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark Birchall (goodreadscomgabbi) House of leaves by Mark danielewski was far to weird . Last time I gave up was this one about ten yrs ago and it gets great reviews . I so wanted to like it as well .

message 12: by E. (new)

E. | 41 comments I recently stopped reading "Ashes to Ashes" -Hoag. I was about 1/3 into it and realized I didn't give a flip about the characters, and the story line had not advanced since the first chapter. No sense spending time or effort.

message 13: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 121 comments Life is too short and there is too much to read to spend a lot of times on books you dislike!

It is a bummer to spend a good price for a book that turns out to be a huge disappointment. After perhaps five chapters if that's the case, I end up perusing the chapters to satisfy my curiosity about how things play out, and give the book away.

Of course a library book let down doesn't hurt so much.

message 14: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments I believe the same way, but I did buy it...but groan, sigh, grimace

message 15: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments I am also reading it with a book pal, and I feel very badly about giving up.

message 16: by Marian (new)

Marian Hi Skye,
Are you still reading "Dark Places"?How is it going?

message 17: by Marian (new)

Marian I am reading 3 books at the moment..but there is one..Dark Room by Steve Mosby,I was going to put down and not finish it.Its ok..hasn't wowed me yet.

message 18: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments Hi Marian:
I didn't read last night; I worked all day and then feel asleep watching the award show. How are you?

message 19: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments What are the other two?

message 20: by Marian (new)

Marian Skye,Im still reading James Patterson book..Cross my Heart,and Iron Lake by William Kent Grueger.

message 21: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments That's right~ I remember now.

message 22: by Marian (new)

Marian Skye wrote: "That's right~ I remember now."

Have you finished Dark Places,or are you still reading it?

message 23: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments I am still reading it. I am only on page 117.

message 24: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments When was Cross my Heart written?

message 25: by Marian (new)

Marian Skye wrote: "When was Cross my Heart written?"

In 2013..then he has a new one out(Hope to Die)that it continues to.

message 26: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments Oh, then I never read it. Any good?

message 27: by Marian (new)

Marian Actually its not bad!I like it more than Dark Room to be honest.

message 28: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments :)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Gail wrote: "MaryJo wrote: "Life is too short and there is too much to read to spend a lot of times on books you dislike!

It is a bummer to spend a good price for a book that turns out to be a huge disappointm..."

My library won't accept books as donations.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I donate my books to a local grocery store chain that in turn sells them quite cheap ($1 for paperback, $2 for hardcover) for The United Way. I have found many great books there myself.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

The book I'm reading now, which is horror, Paskagankee by Allan Leverone I'm struggling to finish. Great idea for a book but there is too much silly drama and not enough horror to keep me interested. I can't stop reading this one, though, because my curiosity is peaked and I would be mad at myself for not finishing to see how things turn out. I can't recommend it.

message 32: by Harriet (new)

Harriet (harrietstay) | 39 comments "My library won't accept books as donations." Gosh, I've never heard of a library that doesn't have a Friends of the Library association. That's what Friends do mostly, accept discarded books from everyone, including those from their library, and have periodic book sales. All of the money goes back to the library to pay for things not in their budget, like special children's programs (some all year long like help in reading or homework), literary or artistic events for the public, author appearances, extra classes for librarians, etc. Our library is offering on-going computer how-to classes. That said, the citizens of your town or county must vote and organize a FOL group. Gosh, the first ones originated with Andrew Carnegie. They are that old. You may need to talk to the library director if you're an organizing kind of person and want to help. There are oodles of resources.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Have to be honest and say that I don't think anything will change regarding the libraries in my neighborhood. We have 3 by me and I have asked others. None of them want books. When I finish a book, I leave them in the laundry room and someone picks them up.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) I drop mine in at the SPCA shop for resale - a good cause. 8:D

I often buy more there than I drop off.

message 35: by Skye (new)

Skye | 307 comments I leave mine inside people's doorways or put them in a laundry room. What is the SPCA? I am always searching for thrift/second hand bookstores so I can save on shipping and handling.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Gail wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "The book I'm reading now, which is horror, Paskagankee by Allan Leverone I'm struggling to finish. Great idea for a book but there is too much sill..."

I have that book downloaded but maybe I'll put reading that one off for a while . . .

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris Skye wrote: "I leave mine inside people's doorways or put them in a laundry room. What is the SPCA? I am always searching for thrift/second hand bookstores so I can save on shipping and handling."

It's an animal shelter. My books I usually leave at train station or give to Purple Heart. I have to check our shelter to see if they sell books.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) Our SPCA branch has a thrift shop in town, so I often drop off clothing that has been left at the bar (after its been sitting here a month) and books I have read but don't want to keep. Also buy jigsaws there.....

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 16, 2015 05:49AM) (new)

There are a lot of places that would gladly take used books to sell. When my kids were in middle school, they always had a big auction in the spring to raise money for the PTA and they would either put books in the auction or just a big bin and sell for $1. Ask around, somebody will take them, especially if they are trying to raise money.

Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dark Places (other topics)
Paskagankee (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Allan Leverone (other topics)