The Catholic Book Club discussion

Sword and Serpent
This topic is about Sword and Serpent
Sword and Serpent > 7. Quotes?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour | 1968 comments Mod
7. What passages strike you as insightful, even profound? Perhaps a bit of dialog that's funny or poignant or that encapsulates a character? Maybe there's a particular comment that states the book's thematic concerns?

message 2: by John (new)

John Seymour | 1968 comments Mod
"I had been searching and searching for this Lord of the Cross, and in the end, He found me when I was least expecting Him."

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 719 comments "This is the sort of man [Menas] who would face a lion without flinching, and bow to a child without shame."

"Fear makes men do terrible things."

"We might never know how much of a difference we make. One word, one action, spoken to a specific person or done at a precise time, and we could change the whole course of history."

Madeleine Myers | 268 comments From Nikolaos:
"I know that we often can't understand why we are asked to suffer the things we do. Why do some people seem to sail through life on calm waters, given every joy and every blessing...while others, who genuinely love God and wish to serve Him, struggle and fight and suffer in a bitter and stormy sea? It doesn't seem fair. It doesn't seem just. But can we see all ends? ....A child doesn't understand why her mother gives her foul medicine when she is sick All she knows is that it tastes bitter, and it feels like the greatest betrayal....Does it give the mother joy to watch the baby weep? Of course not. But she administers the bitter dose anyway, because she knows that only with the medicine will her beloved child get well....If the child trusts her mother, and loves her, she will believe that her mother is doing what is best for her even when--and especially when--she doesn't understand."