The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 20.8 - Nickels & Dimes - Sara G's Task: Florida

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 04, 2018 02:29AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5332 comments Mod
20,8 - Nickels and Dimes - Sara G's Task: Florida

For this task, read one book that fulfills one of the options below. REQUIRED: Please state which option you chose when posting your completed task.

My home town is at the beach in Florida. It's fun to travel, but I love living here! Since this is my first time creating a task for the SRC and it's summer, I thought my home would be the perfect theme. Choose one of the following options:

Option A: Emerald Coast
I live in northwest Florida and our beaches are colloquially called the Emerald Coast, after the color of the water in the Gulf of Mexico here. Read a book with a cover that is predominantly green (at least 50%). REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.
Examples:
These work - Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer The Awakening by Kate Chopin I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

Not green enough: Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins - only the dress is green, not 50% of cover; The Lemoncholy Life of Annie Aster by Scott Wilbanks - mostly yellow, less than 50% green; Confederates in the Attic Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War by Tony Horwitz - the green isn't 50% of cover.

Option B: Air Conditioning
The heat and humidity here can be brutal in the summer, so it's no surprise that Florida didn't become a populous state until air conditioning became widely available. Read a book by a single author whose initials can be found in the phrase AIR CONDITIONING. Middle names/initials can be ignored.

Option C: Hurricanes
One of the scariest things about coastal living in Florida is the risk of hurricanes. Hurricane season is officially June 1st through December 1st. I have the National Hurricane Center website bookmarked, and we always keep an eye on the weather forecast. Read a book that was first published in June of any year.
REQUIRED: The first publication date must be included in the GR record.

message 2: by Sara (last edited Jun 06, 2018 08:18AM) (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Approved for green covers:

A Dog's Journey (A Dog's Purpose, #2) by W. Bruce Cameron Cat and Mouse by Christianna Brand Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1) by Kerri Maniscalco The Lost Sisterhood by Anne Fortier The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8) by Janet Evanovich

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5332 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim | 692 comments Is this green enough? A Dog's Journey by W. Bruce Cameron

Thank you.

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Kim wrote: "Is this green enough? A Dog's Journey by W. Bruce Cameron

Thank you."

Looks great to me Kim! Enjoy.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Is this enough percentage green background?

Cat and Mouse by Christianna Brand

message 8: by Ash (new)

Ash (essentiallyash) | 63 comments Is this one 50% green? Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1) by Kerri Maniscalco

message 9: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 857 comments Would you look at these for option for green covers?
The Lost Sisterhood by Anne Fortier
The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan
Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Suzanne wrote: "Is this enough percentage green background?

Cat and Mouse by Christianna Brand"

Looks good!

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments KSMary wrote: "Would you look at these for option for green covers?
The Lost Sisterhood by Anne Fortier
The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan
Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen"

All 3 of those look fine.

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Ashlea wrote: "Is this one 50% green?Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1) by Kerri Maniscalco"

It's close, but I'd say yes! Enjoy.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea can you confirm if this cover is green enough? Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman
thx

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 480 comments Suzannesea

Checking for greenness.

Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8) by Janet Evanovich

Thanks!

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Andrea wrote: "can you confirm if this cover is green enough? Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman
thx"

Looks good!

message 16: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Suzanne wrote: "Suzannesea

Checking for greenness.

Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8) by Janet Evanovich

Thanks!"

Yes, that's green enough!

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul (metshaft) | 105 comments how about Yes Man by Danny Wallace ?

message 18: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments Is this green enough?

Faded Gray Lines (Carrera Cartel #2) by Cora Kenborn

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I just wanted to be sure it does not literally need to have the words first published? This book just came out this month and merely said published on... Thanks!

Let the Whole Thundering World Come Home: A Memoir

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1531 comments Is this green enough? Sweet Tea and Secrets (Adams Grove, #1) by Nancy Naigle

message 21: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Paul wrote: "how about Yes Man by Danny Wallace ?"

I think that's about 50% green, so I'd say yes!

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Jecca wrote: "Is this green enough?

Faded Gray Lines (Carrera Cartel #2) by Cora Kenborn"

Yes, looks good.

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Nicole wrote: "I just wanted to be sure it does not literally need to have the words first published? This book just came out this month and merely said published on... Thanks!

[book:Let the Whole Thundering Wor..."

Yes, the "first published" is usually just for books with multiple publication runs, etc. This is perfect, enjoy.

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Sue T wrote: "Is this green enough? Sweet Tea and Secrets (Adams Grove, #1) by Nancy Naigle"

Yes, enjoy!

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1531 comments Sara wrote: "Sue T wrote: "Is this green enough? Sweet Tea and Secrets (Adams Grove, #1) by Nancy Naigle"

Yes, enjoy!"

Thanks!

message 26: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Sara wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I just wanted to be sure it does not literally need to have the words first published? This book just came out this month and merely said published on... Thanks!

[book:Let the Whole..."

thank you!

message 27: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3975 comments Are either of these "GREEN" enough?
Divining Women by Kaye Gibbons or The Dog Who Knew Too Much (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #4) by Spencer Quinn

TIA ...

message 28: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Can you confirm the green-ness of

The Good Luck Sister (Wildstone, #1.5) by Jill Shalvis

Thanks!

message 29: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Is this green enough? Pounamu Pounamu by Witi Ihimaera .

I am currently reading it and it looks rather greener than it does here. The dark green bits look more black in this photo.

message 30: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Nicola wrote: "Is this green enough? Pounamu Pounamu by Witi Ihimaera.

I am currently reading it and it looks rather greener than it does here. The dark green bits look more black in this photo."

Melanie wrote: "Can you confirm the green-ness of

The Good Luck Sister (Wildstone, #1.5) by Jill Shalvis

Thanks!"

Book Concierge wrote: "Are either of these "GREEN" enough?
Divining Women by Kaye Gibbons or The Dog Who Knew Too Much (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #4) by Spencer Quinn

TIA ..."

All of these look green enough to me! Sorry for the delay, we had summer visitors and I haven't been able to get to the computer.

message 31: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristenia) | 754 comments How about Rich People Problems (Crazy Rich Asians, #3) by Kevin Kwan for Option 1?

Thanks.

message 32: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 717 comments Maru by Bessie Head by Bessie Head...green enough?

message 33: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 544 comments how about Dial P For Poison (Movie Club Mysteries, #1) by Zara Keane

message 34: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3043 comments is this green enough The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot #4) by Agatha Christie

message 35: by Christi (new)

Christi Reynard | 406 comments Duchess By Night (Desperate Duchesses, #3) by Eloisa James
The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3) by Kerrigan Byrne
would either of these work as green enough?

message 36: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Christi wrote: "Duchess By Night (Desperate Duchesses, #3) by Eloisa James
The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3) by Kerrigan Byrne
would either of these work as green enough?"

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "is this green enough The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot #4) by Agatha Christie"

Paula wrote: "how about Dial P For Poison (Movie Club Mysteries, #1) by Zara Keane"

Ed wrote: "Maru by Bessie Head by Bessie Head...green enough?"

Kristen wrote: "How about Rich People Problems (Crazy Rich Asians, #3) by Kevin Kwan for Option 1?

Thanks."

All of these are more than 50% green for sure. Thanks!

message 37: by Laura H (last edited Jul 09, 2018 03:29AM) (new)

Laura H (laurah30) | 437 comments An American Marriage by Tayari Jones

Will this work for option 1?

message 38: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1826 comments Hi, can I check this is green enough? Force of Nature (Aaron Falk, #2) by Jane Harper

message 39: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Laura wrote: "An American Marriage by Tayari Jones

Will this work for option 1?"

This one looks more than 50% blue, so I'd say it's not green enough. Sorry :(

message 40: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Meg wrote: "Hi, can I check this is green enough? Force of Nature (Aaron Falk, #2) by Jane Harper"

It's close but I'd say yes! Enjoy.

message 41: by Ana (last edited Jul 12, 2018 11:18PM) (new)

Ana | 365 comments Does this work Glory in Death (In Death, #2) by J.D. Robb for a green cover?

message 42: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandra72) | 726 comments Just wanted to make sure that this works for a green cover?

Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie

message 43: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3975 comments Is this green enough (I have the audiobook)
Moonraker by Ian Fleming

message 44: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Is this green enough (I have the audiobook)
Moonraker by Ian Fleming"

Sandra wrote: "Just wanted to make sure that this works for a green cover?

Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally Condie"

Ana wrote: "Does this workGlory in Death (In Death, #2) by J.D. Robbfor a green cover?"

All of these are green enough.