The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 25.7 - MegSCL's Task: My Next Favourite Book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2018 05:12PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5364 comments Mod
25.7 - Meg SCL:My next favourite book

I am going to use this opportunity to create a task for the purely selfish purpose of finding my next favourite book. Please read two books from two different options below. Each book must have a minimum of 200 pages.
REQUIRED: State the options that you chose.

But the tricky part is, you can't read a book I've already read (that wouldn't be much help to me!), so make sure your book is not on my read shelf as of the start of the summer challenge (books on this shelf with a read date of June 1 2018 or later are OK).
Books with the MPGs "Sequential Art", "Comics", "Comic Book", and "Manga" are allowed for this task.

Option 1: I love a good futuristic dystopian novel. Read a book with the main page genre dystopia (embedded genres OK).

Option 2: Some of my favourite novels are historical fiction, but I'm a bit over modern history. Read a book (fiction) set before 1900. At least two thirds of the book must take place in this time period.

Option 3: Why not mix the future and the past? Read a book that features time travel. It must be clear from the goodreads description or metadata that time travel is involved.

Option 4: I always like to try the latest award winning novel. Read a book that has won any award (must be listed in the book's goodreads metadata) in 2013 or later.

Option 5: Now that I'm a mum, I'll need to find some good kids books to read. Read a book that meets SRC requirements with the main page genre of kids or children.

message 2: by Meg (last edited Jun 05, 2018 08:57PM) (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Just copied this from the rules for easy reference...

Any book that has "childrens" or "kids" listed as a genre on its main page MUST be validated in the following manner:
a) The book MUST be found on AR BookFinder and/or AR BookFinder UK. ISBNs may be entered.
b) Books with an Interest Level (IL) designation of LG are NOT allowed for points in the SRC. The AR BookFinder UK equivalent for LG is LY.
c) Books that have an IL designation of MG+ or UG may be used with no restrictions (other than general SRC and specific task requirements). The AR BookFinder UK equivalent for UG is UY. However, you must state the IL designation when you post the book.
d) Books that have an IL designation of MG MUST ALSO have a BL of 5.0 (or higher) AND AR Pts of 7.0 (or higher). The AR BookFinder UK equivalent for MG is MY.
photo 4dafe7f5-5d2b-4f03-a1ea-39aefa5bd5b9.png
All AR Bookfinder information including scores MUST be posted when the book is claimed for points or no points will be awarded (You can copy the AR BookFinder ratings)
ex. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
IL: MG - BL: 7.3 - AR Pts: 17.0
e) If a book is clearly an adult book, but has "childrens" or "kids" listed as a main page genre and is not listed on AR Bookfinder, you may ask for it to be verified as an adult book in Not Kids Verification You must include that the book has been verified as having a special exception by including the post number or google document line approval when you post in Completed Tasks.

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5364 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine | 768 comments Great task! Can you verify The Stone Sky for MPG "Dystopia"? Thanks!

message 6: by Amy (last edited Jun 02, 2018 06:02PM) (new)

Amy | 1432 comments Please approve:

Option 1: Red Hill (Dystopia is currently last)

Thanks!

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Could you verify The Boy on the Bridge for genre science fiction>dystopia;

and Lab Girl for various awards;

and both as not on your read page? You've got Girl With All the Gifts read but not the followup BotB, and you've got Lab Girl but it's still marked to-read.

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7922 comments ohhh good task!

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7922 comments ok I got my two (I think)

a) historical set before 1900 - Charming the Shrew - the look inside seems to have the 14th century as the time period

b) Lachlan - time travel - from the description - the cover mentions time travel romance

neither of which are on your read shelf

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily | 722 comments Can I get A Wind in the Door verified for "Childrens"?

(The AR Bookfinder info is okay - IL: MG, BL: 5.0, AR: 7.0)

message 11: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Please can i get confirmed that you have not read Delirium for option 1

message 12: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments and Revolution for time travel i cannot find this on your read shelf either

message 13: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Christine wrote: "Great task! Can you verify The Stone Sky for MPG "Dystopia"? Thanks!"

Verified

message 14: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Amy wrote: "Please approve:

Option 1: Red Hill (Dystopia is currently last)

Thanks!"

Verified

message 15: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Suzanne wrote: "Could you verify The Boy on the Bridge for genre science fiction>dystopia;

and both as not on your read page? You've got Girl Wit..."

Boy on the bridge works, but I have read lab girl and marked it as read. Can you double check? I hope it's not a goodreads glitch!

message 16: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Dee wrote: "ok I got my two (I think)

a) historical set before 1900 - Charming the Shrew - the look inside seems to have the 14th century as the time period

b) Lachlan - time ..."

Thanks, they both work

message 17: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Boston Kate wrote: "Can I get A Wind in the Door verified for "Childrens"?

(The AR Bookfinder info is okay - IL: MG, BL: 5.0, AR: 7.0)"

Verified

message 18: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "Please can i get confirmed that you have not read Delirium for option 1"

Yes, both books work

message 19: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4261 comments Option 5: Navigating Early

This book works, right? It has  IL: MG - BL: 5.2 - AR Pts: 11.0, which meets SRC requirements.

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Meg wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Could you verify The Boy on the Bridge for genre science fiction>dystopia;

and both as not on your read page? You..."

Phooey, found it. I'll find another second choice & get back to you here for confirmation. Thanks for BotB tho!

message 21: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Meg wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Could you verify The Boy on the Bridge for genre science fiction>dystopia;

and both as not on your read page? You..."

Got a replacement for award winner. Could you confirm you haven't read Grotesque by Natsuo Kirino?

message 22: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 859 comments Could you confirm for genre and not read:
Wither for Opt 1 Dystopian and
The Second Empress: A Novel of Napoleon's Court for Opt 2 Historical Fiction

We have similar tastes in books so it was kind of fun to play "Stump Meg" and find a book you haven't read. :)

message 23: by Ash (new)

Ash (essentiallyash) | 64 comments Verifying Landry Park for dystopian
and
The School for Good and Evil For Children's

message 24: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1354 comments Can you verify 84k for dystopia please. 84K

message 25: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Bea wrote: "Option 5: Navigating Early

This book works, right? It has  IL: MG - BL: 5.2 - AR Pts: 11.0, which meets SRC requirements."

Looks good

message 26: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Suzanne wrote: "Meg wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Could you verify The Boy on the Bridge for genre science fiction>dystopia;

and both as not on your re..."

I haven't read it but looks like it won the award in 2003, which is too old

message 27: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments KSMary wrote: "Could you confirm for genre and not read:
Wither for Opt 1 Dystopian and
The Second Empress: A Novel of Napoleon's Court for Opt 2 Historical Fiction

We have similar..."

Looks like you found a couple of good ones. Both work

message 28: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Ashlea wrote: "Verifying Landry Park for dystopian
and
The School for Good and Evil For Children's"

Both genres verified

message 29: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments JennRenee wrote: "Can you verify 84k for dystopia please. 84K"

Verified

message 30: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Meg wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Meg wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Could you verify The Boy on the Bridge for genre science fiction>dystopia;

and both a..."

OK, think i've finally found it.

Long Upon the Land - 2015 Agatha Award for Best Contemporary Novel. Not on your shelves at all, I think?

message 31: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3978 comments Please confirm CHILDRENS for
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin

AR Bookfinder data: IL: MG - BL: 8.1 - AR Pts: 13.0

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3978 comments Also, please confirm HISTORICAL FICTION for
Days Without End
(per main page set in 1850 through Civil War)

message 33: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Suzanne wrote: "Meg wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Meg wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Could you verify The Boy on the Bridge for genre science fiction>dystopia;

and Lab Girl for various awards;..."

That works!

message 34: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Also, please confirm HISTORICAL FICTION for
Days Without End
(per main page set in 1850 through Civil War)"

Yep, both books genres verified BC

message 35: by Kim (new)

Kim | 694 comments Please confirm the following:

A Blaze of Glory and Epitaph for historical fiction, and not on your list

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and The Map of Time for time travel, and not on your list

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI and Dreaming Spies for award winner, and not on your list

Thank you.

message 36: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Kim wrote: "Please confirm the following:

A Blaze of Glory and Epitaph for historical fiction, and not on your list

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court a..."

Those all work

message 37: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16715 comments Mod
Please verify Red Clocks for dystopia.

Thanks!

message 38: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Sandy wrote: "Please verify Red Clocks for dystopia.

Thanks!"

Verified

message 39: by Pia (last edited Jun 04, 2018 07:20PM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Can you please confirm:

Option 1:
The Wardrobe Mistress A Novel of Marie Antoinette by Meghan Masterson

For historical fiction, set before 1900 and not on your read list

and

Option 4:
Winner of an Agatha Award 2017 and also not on your list:

In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen

message 40: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Pia wrote: "Can you please confirm:

Option 1:
The Wardrobe Mistress A Novel of Marie Antoinette by Meghan Masterson

For historical fiction, set before 1900 and not on your read list

and

Option 4:
Winner..."

Both work

message 41: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2697 comments I couldn't see either of these, but to double check and confirm genres:

Option 1: Contagion (book three of a dystopian series I found by accident, and quite like: https://www.goodreads.com/series/8367....

Option 5: The Phantom Tollbooth

message 42: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Trish wrote: "I couldn't see either of these, but to double check and confirm genres:

Option 1: Contagion (book three of a dystopian series I found by accident, and quite like: https://www.goodr..."

I actually have read the Phantom Tollbooth, but in my pre goodreads days so I haven't added it to my shelf. So both of those books work (assuming AR bookfind checks out).

message 43: by Trish (last edited Jun 05, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2697 comments I checked the AR bit and its fine. For some reason, I never came across the book until recently.

Thanks.

message 44: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Wayne wrote: "I haven't read a children's book for the SRC because I was afraid I'd mess things up with the rating, but I'm going to take a chance with this one. What I've got is [book:The Wind in the Willows|56..."

That works, just post that ar info when you claim your points

message 45: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 428 comments For historical fiction, does it need to have that MPG or can the book just be set before 1900?

message 46: by Emtecia (new)

Emtecia (em82) | 102 comments i see Kindred by Octavia E. Butler is on your list but not marked as read, could i use this book for time travel

message 47: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Valerie wrote: "For historical fiction, does it need to have that MPG or can the book just be set before 1900?"

No mpg required as long as the book is fiction and set in the time period

message 48: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Emtecia wrote: "i see Kindred by Octavia E. Butler is on your list but not marked as read, could i use this book for time travel"
That works. I think I might read it for this task too!

message 49: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments would The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock work for historical

message 50: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1847 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "would The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock work for historical"
Yes, that works and looks really good!

« previous 1