Play Book Tag discussion

The Rules of Magic (Practical Magic, #0.2)
This topic is about The Rules of Magic
June 2018: Magical Realism > The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moke (last edited Jun 02, 2018 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Moke For anyone who began following the author Alice Hoffman because of her book "Practical Magic" like I did, then, this prequel to PM is a must read. It has been a long time since I read that first book, but The Rules of Magic had all the same wonderful mixture of themes: family, love, loss, being true to oneself and - of course - magic and witches. In this novel, you learn the story of the two sisters who take in the younger siblings at the beginning of Practical Magic. The story mostly takes place in New York with one brief summer in New England back at the family house (which was the setting for Practical Magic). This generation of Owens children, in The Rules of Magic, grow up in 50s and come of age in 60s. There is also the rare addition to the family of a brother who struggles in his own way with his gifts, as well as with his sexual identity and the fear of the impending war in Vietnam. I highly recommend this book if anyone is looking for a good summer read.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Magical realism is a new genre for me so this month will be different. I picked The Dovekeepers to read based on Amy's recommendation. Its all I've picked and I'm waiting to read reviews to decide what others to review. I'm excited about your review since I'm already reading one of Alice Hoffman's books.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8436 comments I have never read anything by Hoffman. All the talk of her this month has got me thinking I should give her try. Which of her books would any of you suggest as a good beginning?

message 4: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2674 comments I’ve never read Practical Magic, but your review just inspired me to grab it from the library. I think I’ll read that one first, and if I love it then I know I’ll have others to savour ... Thanks!

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 9384 comments Maybe Faithful, or the Third Angel for Magical Realism. She writes in such diverse genres, from YA, to historical fiction. Naturally, her historical fiction are my favorites. The dove keepers, and the marriage of opposites.

Moke Rachel wrote: "Magical realism is a new genre for me so this month will be different. I picked The Dovekeepers to read based on Amy's recommendation.

I haven't read the Dovekeepers but I have heard it is good. I am interested in hearing what you think since you haven't read Alice Hoffman before.