The Catholic Book Club discussion

Sword and Serpent
This topic is about Sword and Serpent
Sword and Serpent > 2. Genre

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour | 1968 comments Mod
2.. What genre would you say Sword and Serpent is?

message 2: by John (new)

John Seymour | 1968 comments Mod
I would say it is a mix of historical fiction and heroic fantasy. The tie to the Arthurian legend, Excaliber, the dragon are all fantasy elements.

Manuel Alfonseca | 1632 comments Mod
By the way, Gordon R. Dickson wrote in 1957 a short story titled "Saint Dragon and the George," a rendering of the legend where everything is upside down :-)

Fonch | 1446 comments Manuel wrote: "By the way, Gordon R. Dickson wrote in 1957 a short story titled "Saint Dragon and the George," a rendering of the legend where everything is upside down :-)"
Now that my friend Alfonseca spoke about this topic for example Kenneth Grahame the aclaimed author of "Wind and the willows" wrote a story "The relunctant dragon", where Saint George and the dragons make friends. It is possible that this story inspired Dragonheart the famous movie where a Dragonslayer Bowen make a friend of the last dragon, and they hard work to oppose a tyrant was played by David Thewlis. The Dragon has te voice of Sean Connery in Spain the mythical spanish actor Paco Rabal.
The american writer Karina Fabian Lumbert has stories where the Dragon Vern, it was not defeated by Saint George, he was closed in a bubble and he recovere the freedom controled by the nun Grace. This story belonged to the genre humor fantasy genre.
Michael D. O`Brien and Joseph Pearce are very critic with the authors who made that the Dragon were good, particularly they are very hard with the author Anne McAffrey.

Mariangel | 584 comments I have read one of Karina Fabian's stories about the nun and dragon, it was fun.

Fonch | 1446 comments Mariangel wrote: "I have read one of Karina Fabian's stories about the nun and dragon, it was fun."

I did not know that you have read these stories Mari Angeles. In the case of Karina Fabian my passion for collecting Catholic Writers did interested in her stories, although i could not read it :-(. I have heard that Vern has a particular sarcastic sense of humor, and he is delicious.

Manuel Alfonseca | 1632 comments Mod
If we are speaking about sympathetic dragons, we must not forget "Farmer Giles of Ham" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Fonch | 1446 comments Manuel wrote: "If we are speaking about sympathetic dragons, we must not forget "Farmer Giles of Ham" by J.R.R. Tolkien."

I recognize that Crisophilax looked a bit Vern. He is amusement an evil. There three writers, who have written of this topic. The interesting Naomi Novik with a interesting cycle seteled in the Napoleonic War, where French, and english fight riding dragons. We have the case of Hartman and her dragon Seraphina, besides we have the case of Patricia C. Wredde unfortunatelly not translated to spanish :-(.

Bice (bicebeechay) | 111 comments Like that John