Mock Caldecott 2023 discussion

Mock Caldecott 2019 > June Reads - 2019

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Jun 02, 2018 09:16AM) (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 269 comments Mod
The Big Umbrella by Amy June Bates The Big Umbrella by Amy June Bates and Juniper Bates

A Busy Creature's Day Eating by Mo Willems A Busy Creature's Day Eating by Mo Willems

Sometimes You Fly by Katherine Applegate Sometimes You Fly by Katherine Applegate and illustrated by Jennifer Black Reinhardt

I Got It! by David Wiesner I Got It! by David Wiesner

There are some big names this month!
Are any of these books "distinguished"?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol  V (vanhookc) | 100 comments I Got It! - a really fun summer read! Nice adventure playing ball story. A Busy Creature's Day Eating is absolutely hilarious! You'll be rolling in the floor with this ABC read. The Big Umbrella - watch for this book to do very well. It is a wonderful story about making our world a kinder place by sharing and thinking of others.

Sometimes You Fly is my number one pick, so far, for the "distinguished" title. It is a great look at the important events in one's life. I see it as a modern day view of "Oh, the Places You'll Go." A nice book for new parents, newlyweds, and recent graduates.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Kline (karenkline) | 4 comments All four of my kinder classes loved this one. Paired with Patrick McDonnell's Little Red Cat Runs Away and Learns her ABCs the hard way. Super combo!

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 398 comments Karen wrote: "All four of my kinder classes loved this one. Paired with Patrick McDonnell's Little Red Cat Runs Away and Learns her ABCs the hard way. Super combo!"

Loved which one? There are four books listed.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 370 comments This is my review for Got It:

How I hate giving a 3 star rating to anything David Wiesner. I chose him for my thesis subject back in college. The concept is great and for any other illustrator this title might be closer to a 4 star. It is mediocre for a great talent like Wiesner. Maybe the book will grow on me in time. I do love to be wowed during my first viewing. I did not get that from I Got It! Kids who like baseball and sports will probably enjoy it.

message 6: by Cathy (last edited Jun 12, 2018 11:51AM) (new)

Cathy (cathynorman) | 37 comments I gave Got It! 2 stars and wrote nothing because I REALLY found it wanting! Blech. (How's that for professional and articulate?!)

message 7: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 398 comments I Got It
I had a similar reaction, though not quite as negative as the 2 above. I found it imaginative, but he has done much better and more creative artwork before. I like his other books much better.

message 8: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 398 comments A Busy Creature's Day Eating!
I thought this book was terrific, and I believe it is one that kids will love. The story actually starts before the title page, and the illustrations and text work perfectly together. I also loved the chewed up letters on the back end papers. I hope the Caldecott committee seriously considers this one.

message 9: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 398 comments Sometimes You Fly
Very nice text and illustrations, but I liked other contenders better.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 370 comments The Big Umbrella: Love the illustrations. The cover art is glorious and will make anyone smile. A sweet book.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 370 comments A Busy Creature's Day Eating: Typical Mo Willems cleverness and ofcourse the illustrations are top notch. I am not loving it but kids probably will.

message 12: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 398 comments The Big Umbrella
I also loved this book and the atmospheric watercolor, gouache, and pencil paintings. I loved how the umbrella just kept expanding to take in more people. And that the little child was quite willing to share her(?) umbrella. The reader never does see the child's face until the last page, and it could be either a he or a she.

message 13: by Laura (last edited Jun 13, 2018 08:13PM) (new)

Laura Harrison | 370 comments Sometimes You Fly: Beautiful illustrations. The text is great for an end of the school year graduation gift. In the same vein as Seuss' Oh, the Places You'll Go.

message 14: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (booknerd216) | 49 comments The Big Umbrella- I love this book. I enjoyed watching the faces of the umbrella. I love how each page introduces us to a new character or group of people to come under the umbrella. My favorite part is when the sun comes out the umbrella is still there. I think young kids will enjoy the story. I love the water color images. I don't think it is a contender.

message 15: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (booknerd216) | 49 comments A Busy Creature's Day Eating- This book immediately reminded me of Knuffle Bunny. The main character has a resemblance to the stuff animal.
I thought the story was funny and I am excited to add it to my Pre K author study! I don't think it is unique in the sense that we have seen this style and he has already won an award for it. I could be totally wrong.

message 16: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (booknerd216) | 49 comments Sometimes You Fly- I am definitely rooting for this book! I loved the flow of the story. As I reader I found myself looking to the illustrations for the lesson (the after). I really think this could at least be an honor.

message 17: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (booknerd216) | 49 comments I Got It!- I loved the visual story David Wiesner delivers. He's an amazing artists and has the gift to tell great stories through his art. I loved the appearance of the birds! Another possible contender.

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (flintk8) | 24 comments Sometimes You FlyThe Big Umbrella
As an adult, I thought Sometimes You Fly was very poignant. I also agree that it would make a wonderful graduation gift. As a picture book aged reader, I believe a fair amount of conversation would have to accompany the read, which isn't unnecessarily bad. I don't feel like it would be a Caldecott choice.
The Big Umbrella I think was wonderful. It unfolds much like silly conversations with kids using their wildest imaginations. In that regard, I think it could become a favorite repeat read. The illustrations capture the light of a rainy day and the brightness of the diverse cast that populate our lives. I think this would be a wonderful choice as this year's winner.

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda | 13 comments Sometimes You Fly was the favorite of this month’s contenders in my household. My 6 year old found a lot to talk about from the beautiful illustrations.

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen Kline (karenkline) | 4 comments it was Busy Creature's Day Eating that my four kinder classes loved btw.

message 21: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathynorman) | 37 comments The Big Umbrella is my #1 pick so far. I love the inclusion in this book. I love the feet. I love the smiles of the sun and the umbrella. I love the sheer joy in this beautifully rendered community.

message 22: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celeste_bocchicchio) | 6 comments A busy Creature's Day Eating
Fun, silly book. The illustrations definitely contribute to the mood of the book, but I don't think it is quite Caldecott material.

Sometimes you fly
The pictures definitely add to the story in important ways, but not the strongest book I have read this year.