The Long Overdue Book Club discussion

An American Childhood
This topic is about An American Childhood
Sixth Book!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole | 27 comments Mod
We asked, and one of our members responded! For the next two months, we will be discussing An American Childhood by Annie Dillard, a memoir about growing up in Pittsburgh in the 1950's. Unlike some of our former selections, I'm going in to this one with a blank slate as well, so we'll all be reading it together! We have multiple copies in the county, so be sure to stop by and check one out!

If there are any books that you would like to discuss in the future, please let us know and we will see how many copies we have in our system, or if we are able to get more copies to distribute. Book lovers recommending new titles to fellow book lovers is always a welcome contribution. Happy reading! (And happy summer!!)

Janice Treat snow | 16 comments I read it but it was a long time ago and I don't remember much. Don't mind reading it again, just have to finish the four books I already have going. :)

Nicole | 27 comments Mod
I'm in the same boat. I'm taking some graduate courses this summer, so it may take me awhile to get to the book, but it'll happen eventually! Just have to get through some dry textbooks first.

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric Geist | 20 comments Just finished reading "Cry the Beloved Country" by Alan Paton. Great book! I very much recommend it for future discussion.

Janice Treat snow | 16 comments I am not quite halfway in. Even though the writing itself is beautiful, I can't say I love this book. What I do love: I grew up in Pittsburgh and the parts that take me back to those days are wonderful. I'm younger than the author and grew up in a very different social and financial world. There are still enough similarities (libraries!) to make that enjoyable.

What I don't like: I don't remember much about my childhood and to have the author describe events from as young as age four to the tiniest detail seems so impossible as to be distracting. That beautiful writing comes across as pretentious at times.

The book isn't bad, of course it's not; it's just not my kind of thing. If it had been set in any city other than my city, it wouldn't hold my attention at all.

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric Geist | 20 comments One of my all time favorites. It is a pleasure to get to read it again. I had forgotten almost everything about it, so it's kind of like spending time with an old friend. hope you all enjoy it.

Nicole | 27 comments Mod
I'm with you Janice. The writing is great, but I can't seem to really fall into this book. I keep having to force myself to read it, so I don't believe I'll complete it. I can remember some things about my childhood, even down to small details if it was a big moment, but maybe not this extensively. We visited Pittsburgh often growing up, but not enough for me to consider it "my city". Our trips usually consisted of the Science Center and various museums, but we went all over to do that. If it were based in a place that I more closely identify with, like Youngstown, I think it wouldn't be as much of a struggle. Even though I grew up in a different time frame, it's nice to read about a place you know in a different time. Overall, I think it's a good book, but it just isn't so much my cup of tea.

Janice Treat snow | 16 comments So glad I'm not the only one! Turns out, though, that I did enjoy parts of it. Some days I looked forward to picking it up, but more days I didn't.

I found myself wondering if I didn't "get" it very well because I'm not as intelligent as the writer. ;)

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric Geist | 20 comments on page 140. I had forgotten so much. What a wonderful book! Very rich text which makes me want to read books and read books and read books for the rest of my life.

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric Geist | 20 comments Liked the ending of the book. So inspiring. Of course, the author lost me a few times too, but the trek through the wilderness, especially once I got through it was very very rewarding.