Lucy Preston Literary Society discussion

Mrs. Sherlock Holmes
This topic is about Mrs. Sherlock Holmes
Mrs Sherlock Holmes > Mrs. Sherlock Holmes Sections 22, 23 and Epilogue

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Catherine | 44 comments Discussion thread for Sections 22, 23, epilogue, author's note and any other sections in the back of the book that we might want to discuss

Beth | 15 comments I am so grateful I can discuss this book with all of you, because my brain is spinning after finishing the final pages. There is so much to process! What an incredible woman, and one of the most unique, unpredictable books I’ve ever read.

Aileen | 20 comments Just finished it today.
I'm floored. What an amazing life this woman led.
So many lives she changed, and so many people she helped. I just can't believe I'd never heard of Grace before.

Beth | 15 comments Aileen wrote: "Just finished it today.
I'm floored. What an amazing life this woman led.
So many lives she changed, and so many people she helped. I just can't believe I'd never heard of Grace before."

I totally agree - the whole time I read this book I was horrified that I hadn’t heard of her sooner. I think I could read the book several times and still notice new things about Grace and her accomplishments.

Catherine | 44 comments I finished the book late last night and was too tired to post here until this morning. I absolutely loved this book. I wonder if part of the reason none of us had heard of Grace is because her career took such a down-swing at the end of it. Which is a real shame. She accomplished so much in her lifetime. And I'm so grateful to "Timeless" for including her in an episode, making us all curious and then leading us to this book. What an incredible story!

Footballgirl205 | 5 comments Just finished the book today. What a great book and an incredible woman!! I too am somewhat surprised I had never heard of Grace. Although I do think that the author did a great job of pointing out at the end how slowly over time Grace's mentions and prominence in Ruth's case diminished over time. It really does make me think about how gets to tell the story of history and how many women, POC, and other marginalized groups' stories are untold or forgotten. I am grateful that Timeless let me to learning more about Grace!

Kirsten (xfkirsten) | 19 comments Wow! Just finished the book today, and couldn't put it down. It broke my heart that she was never able to prove anything about the human trafficking, especially since it's still such a huge issue now, 100 years later. Also, the comments in the epilogue about how the police viewed missing women, it's just so reminiscent of today, how so many sex assault cases are viewed. We think that the social situations in the book are "old history", but in many ways, they are not.

I also rewatched the episode after finishing the book, and I find it interesting that they gave Grace such strong opinions about Alice Paul and the Suffragettes. I didn't get that impression about her at all from the book. I also found it interesting that she was so brusque in the episode. Certainly it played up the comedic aspects (and kudos to the actress for that), but she seemed like a very compassionate person in the book. Her comments about "everyone else is not my problem" in the episode are very much at odds with the way she handled cases.

message 8: by Sarah (last edited Jul 10, 2018 01:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah (sarahreadsroyals) | 20 comments I finished reading this book last night. I'm SO thankful to have Timeless in my life because Grace is so interesting person and if not for Timeless I won't know about this woman. I find it sad how it ends for her. I find it interesting how it compares to today's world, especially the cops are in the spotlight for abusing their power and the human trafficking. History always repeats itself.

I liked IRL Grace than Timeless Grace. Timeless's Grace seemed so cold and cruel and I thought it was rather strange since IRL Grace would take cases that people needed her help. Alas, I still enjoyed learning this piece of untold history. Now, off to read another untold story of history! :)

Beth | 15 comments Kirsten wrote: "Wow! Just finished the book today, and couldn't put it down. It broke my heart that she was never able to prove anything about the human trafficking, especially since it's still such a huge issue n..."

I felt the same way about Timeless Grace - I loved her in the book AND in the episode, of course, but the book captured a much broader picture of her commitment to fighting injustice. I'd love to know why the Timeless character wasn't dressed all in black, since it seemed to be her trademark.

Kirsten (xfkirsten) | 19 comments Beth wrote: "I'd love to know why the Timeless character wasn't dressed all in black, since it seemed to be her trademark. "

Yes! I was wondering the same thing when I rewatched the episode last night. I'm sure the answer probably has to do with how it would look on-screen, but still.

Ronnie (camerata) | 4 comments I finished the book a couple of days ago too.

Read my review on my blog, Paradise Found.