The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads 2018 > Nominations for August 2018

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1093 comments We are looking for nominations for any sci-fi novel or collection of short stories written between 1980 and 1999 that has not previously been read by the group. Please check the bookshelf here before nominating.

As previously mentioned to increase the variety of authors read per period we will exclude authors where we have already read two or more books in the period. Therefore for the New Wave nominations, this time we will not accept any nominations for books by William Gibson

Only one nomination per person please.

message 2: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 968 comments There are a lot of good books, it is hard to choose. :)
I nominate Emergence by David R. Palmer, which was nominated for Hugo Award and Philip K. Dick Award and won Compton Crook Award in 1985.
One great disadvantage, this book isn't available as an e-book, at least officially.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I've been enjoying Emma Bull's works lately.
Bone Dance is the one that I own that has the highest number of GR ratings, which would hopefully point to easier availability. ;)

message 4: by Kacper (last edited Jun 02, 2018 02:30PM) (new)

Kacper Wu | 2 comments Limes inferior Ok, nvm. He was not translated into english. What a shame!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janusz_...

His works have been translated into Belorussian, Bulgarian, Czech, Esperanto, Finnish, German, Hungarian, Russian and Slovenian. Almost none of his works have been translated into English; the only exception is the short story Wyjątkowo trudny teren ("Particularly Difficult Territory") that Zajdel wrote for the English language Tales from the Planet Earth anthology edited by Frederik Pohl and Elizabeth Anne Hull.

It always strikes me how language may limit us from reading great works. And Zajdel... he's such a classic I assumed he was translated into every popular language. [*]

message 5: by Dan (last edited Jun 02, 2018 02:46PM) (new)

Dan I nominate Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree, Jr. (1990)

From the blurb on the book: "Collects eighteen brilliant short stories from a luminary of the science-fiction genre, James Tiptree, Jr. This updated edition is the quintessential Tiptree collection and contains revisions from the author’s original notes. Tiptree’s fiction reflects the darkly complex world its author inhabited: exploring the alien among us; the unreliability of perception; love, sex, and death; and humanity’s place in a vast, cold universe."

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 717 comments Dan wrote: "I nominate Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree, Jr. (1990)"

I would really like to read this one.

message 7: by Leo (new)

Leo | 640 comments It is a great collection, but we read it in 2016 here.

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan So sorry. I pledge to check the bookshelf before making future nominations.

message 9: by David (new)

David Lutkins | 38 comments Thanks for mentioning the book, though, Dan. I have not read this author before and these stories look fascinating. I've added this to my TBR list.

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1093 comments Kacper wrote: "Limes inferior Ok, nvm. He was not translated into english. What a shame!
..."

I agree, I would have been interested to read it. He doesn't seem to be translated into French either. Saying that the anthology where his story is published, Tales from the Planet Earth: A Novel with Nineteen Authors looks quite good with authors from 18 countries.

message 11: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 163 comments I nominate Geodesic Dreams: The Best Short Fiction of Gardner Dozois:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 717 comments I nominate The Player of Games (Culture, #2) by Iain M. Banks The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks. Although it is the second published book in the Culture series, the books can be read out of order and many fans believe Player of Games is the best starting point.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 717 comments By the way, there's currently a four-way tie in the two polls for July's read. Does that mean we're going to read all four books? If so we might want to spread that out over two months.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 4280 comments Mod
No ties now. Let's see what happens at the end of the voting. No sense borrowing trouble.

message 15: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments I usually forget to vote in our polls, but when I do my criteria is on I haven;t read before and that is available from my library, especially as a audio book. So I just voted. Didn't break any ties. Didn't even vote for contenders.

message 16: by Marc-André (new)

Marc-André | 298 comments I'm not sure if I want to nominate A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge or The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stepheson.

message 17: by Jim (new)

You need to pick one, Marc-André.

I'll nominateOn Basilisk Station by David Weber. It's the first of the Honor Harrington books, a space age homage to Horatio Hornblower, another series I really liked.

It's a good book & Baen did a really smart thing by giving it away for free. I read it & then went on to buy it & another dozen books in the series. They sucked me in. You can find it here:
https://www.baen.com/on-basilisk-stat...

message 18: by Buck (last edited Jun 06, 2018 06:59PM) (new)

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments The Integral Trees by Larry Niven. I'm almost sure I must have read this when it was new, but I can't remember for sure.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan Budd (susanbudd) | 130 comments I nominate Robert Silverberg's Sailing to Byzantium (1984).
It can be found in this collection of six novellas:
Sailing to Byzantium by Robert Silverberg

message 20: by John (last edited Jun 11, 2018 03:37PM) (new)

John | 77 comments Have been wanting to dive into the Vorkosigan Saga, so I nominate Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Edit: Just noticed we read the second book in this series in 2014. If the first has already been marked read, I looked and couldn't find it being so, than I'd want to do Barrayar, which is technically the second in the series.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 717 comments Marc-André wrote: "Ok, I've decided. I'll nominate The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson."

Excellent choice. I'm reading that one right now.

message 23: by Dan (last edited Jun 19, 2018 10:07PM) (new)

Dan I nominate The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge. Not only was this science fiction book nominated for the Nebula Award for Best Novel in 1981, it won the Hugo Award for Best Novel in 1981.

message 24: by Jim (last edited Jun 19, 2018 02:31AM) (new)

Susan wrote: "I nominate Robert Silverberg's Sailing to ByzantiumSailing to Byzantium (1984). "

You mean Sailing to Byzantium, right? Please post a book link or it may not make it into the poll.

message 25: by Jim (new)

Ronald wrote: "I nominate Geodesic Dreams: The Best Short Fiction of Gardner Dozois:"

Geodesic Dreams: The Best Short Fiction of Gardner Dozois

message 26: by Jim (new)

We're up to a dozen books now, so we'll probably have 2 polls.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan Budd (susanbudd) | 130 comments Jim wrote: "You mean Sailing to Byzantium, right? Please post a book link or it may not make it into the poll ..."

Sailing to Byzantium is one novella in this collection of the same name: Sailing to Byzantium. Two of the six novellas are from the 70s and the other four from the 80s. Sailing to Byzantium was published in 1984.

message 28: by Michael (last edited Jun 19, 2018 08:33AM) (new)

Michael | 44 comments Marc-André wrote: "I'm not sure if I want to nominate A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge or The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stepheson."

Since Marc-Andre picked The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, I'd like to nominate A Fire Upon the Deep. That book has been languishing on my TBR list for far too long, and a Group Read would be just the thing to push it to the top of the pile!

The Scribbling Man (thescribblingman) | 137 comments I nominate The Dream Archipelago by Christopher Priest

And hello, everyone, by the way! Been a while since I was last active here (life can be distracting), but I'm hoping to start showing my face again a bit more frequently. Looks like things have changed quite a bit since I was last here. Great to see the group growing :)

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jo is out & about so won't get a chance to make the poll until tomorrow. I might get to it later today, but I'm a little too foggy this morning & I want to get out before the heat kicks in. We'll be breaking the books into 2 polls by decades.

The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (1980)
The Integral Trees by Larry Niven (1983)
Emergence by David R. Palmer (1984)
Sailing to Byzantium by Robert Silverberg (SS 1985)
Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (1986)
The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (1988)

Bone Dance by Emma Bull (1991)
A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (1992)
Geodesic Dreams: The Best Short Fiction of Gardner Dozois (SS 1992)
On Basilisk Station by David Weber (1992)
The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson (1995)
The Dream Archipelago by Christopher Priest (SS 1999)

message 31: by Dan (last edited Jul 01, 2018 04:51PM) (new)

Dan Great choices! I will be reading whatever wins this time, I wager.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.