Play Book Tag discussion

Like Water for Chocolate
This topic is about Like Water for Chocolate
June 2018: Magical Realism > Like Water for Chocolate - Laura Esquivel - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 848 comments In this book the author follows Tita, the youngest daughter in the De La Garza family. It is set in Mexico in the early 1900’s. Tita’s mother has told her that Tita must follow the family tradition of taking care of her mother until she dies. Due to this Tita is not able to marry her true love, Pedro, and Tita’s sister ends up marrying him.

Tita is a gifted cook and if she has strong emotions while preparing meals her feelings are passed on to those who eat her food. They magically feel upset or happiness depending on Tita’s tears or joy. The author has created a lovely tale while telling of Tita’s life and included some of her recipes.

message 2: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments This sounds really good, going on the TBR!

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I really enjoyed this one too.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8424 comments I saw this one, and put it on my short list. Thanks for the review, may help me make a decision!

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I loved the film and might read this if I get time this month. Thanks for your review!

message 6: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2667 comments Thanks for the review! I’ve always vaguely noted this as something I should read, without having much of an idea what it was about. Sounds exactly up my alley :) On the TBR properly now ...

Cynda  (cynda) I read Like Water for Chocolatebook soon after watching the movie. The movie is so perfectly US-Mexico border, so desert. The household Tita lives is a desert in more than one way. Great Read.
Glad you enjoyed it Kelly :-)

Moke I really liked this book, also, and agree the movie was well done.

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments I loved this book, and very happy to see that you did, too. Great choice!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6396 comments Cynda wrote: "I read Like Water for Chocolatebook soon after watching the movie. The movie is so perfectly US-Mexico border, so desert..."

I think it was filmed near Piedra Negras / Eagle Pass.
If you have a chance to see the movie, be sure to watch the version w/ subtitles NOT the dubbed version. Even if you don't understand Spanish, hearing it will give you a sense of the poetic flow of the language that just doesn't translate to English.

Love this book, by the way. I've read it several times, including once in Spanish.

message 11: by Cynda (last edited Jun 03, 2018 08:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cynda  (cynda) Book Concierge wrote: "Cynda wrote: "I read Like Water for Chocolatebook soon after watching the movie. The movie is so perfectly US-Mexico border, so desert..."

I think it was filmed near Piedra Negras / Ea..."

Yes. I watched it like that. I love the doctor's second-language Spanish. So beautiful and gentle. Move aside Tita. I will marry him.

message 12: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments I've got this one sitting on my library hold shelf right now. Glad to see such glowing enjoyment of it.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments One of my favorite books. The movie was lovely.

message 14: by JoLene (new) - added it

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Loved the movie when I saw it way back when......I think I saw it in the theater. Still haven’t managed to read th book, but would like to.