Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group discussion

Popular Authors > Gillian Flynn

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Gone Girl should be in the movies soon. Looks like Sharp Objects will be adopted as a drama on TV. I'm guessing that this will be similar to Twin Peaks although I didn't like Sharp Objects.

http://time.com/2969455/gillian-flynn...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/08/gil...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

This is interesting. Agatha Christie may have been Amazing Amy from Gone Girl.

http://www.refinery29.com/2014/08/720...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone see the Gone Girl movie coming attractions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bwNP...

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

People are still going on about the ending in Gone Girl.

http://www.thewire.com/entertainment/...

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan | 2 comments I've seen the promo for Gone Girl. I hated the book.
I really didn't care for any of the characters and I really disliked the female lead. I thought she was obnoxious and she really bugged me. I have no desire to see the film which no doubt will be a huge hit. It comes out I think the beginning of October.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I think the key to Gone Girl is that you don't like the characters which is a good point. People will hate the book because of it. That's true. Amy is a head-shaker. To me, I thought that made the book more interesting but that's me. What makes it more interesting is that you don't really root for either character. That's probably one of the reasons that the ending seemed weak.
One author that did this was back in the pulp fiction days and his name was Gil Brewer.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

My other recommendation would be to stay away from Sharp Objects. If you didn't like Gone Girl, then you will feel worse after reading that book. I know I want to forget about that one.

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 55 comments I never really understand why people don't like a book because they didn't like the characters. Surely that's the point of some books, that the characters are horrible?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Jackie wrote: "I never really understand why people don't like a book because they didn't like the characters. Surely that's the point of some books, that the characters are horrible?"

I guess everyone feels differently about this. Some people tell me that they liked Sharp Objects. I don't understand why but people say they like twisted characters.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 42 comments My ranking, by preference, of the Gillian Flynn novels is: #1 - Dark Places; #2 - Sharp Objects; #3 - Gone Girl. As I said in my Goodreads review, Gone Girl is a cross between the movies "War of the Roses" and Hitchcock's "Notorious". I really think the author has lost her edge with each successive novel. I figured out Gone Girl midway through the book.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Kathy wrote: "My ranking, by preference, of the Gillian Flynn novels is: #1 - Dark Places; #2 - Sharp Objects; #3 - Gone Girl. As I said in my Goodreads review, Gone Girl is a cross between the movies "War of ..."

Haven't read Dark Places yet. I would reverse the order but that's okay.

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 114 comments #1 Sharp Objects - Camille's very damaged but fascinating & the villain is so OTT (loved the dollhouse floor!). Granted artistically not a very good novel.

#2 Dark Places - Heroine kicks ass. Very original murderer & motives. Good take on the farm crisis (hey, I live in Iowa!) Plot unfolds too mechanically & Runner is such a disgusting sleazeball.

#3 Gone Girl - Great plot & gripping narrative but Amy & Nick are essentially farcical characters, Nick totally wimps out & Amy's scheme hasn't a chance of working in real life.

message 13: by esosh (new)

esosh | 3 comments Gone Girl is the only Gillian Flynn book I've read. I don't remember how I came across it.

I enjoyed reading it, but, like most people, the ending ruined the whole book for me. I wonder how it will end in the movie. I'm very curious about that one, big fan of Fincher, and the casting looks spot on (Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike as an unlikable couple? YES!). I think this story will work better on the big screen. I don't know if it's a good thing that the writer of the book has also written the screenplay. It could go both ways I guess.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

It's interesting that Affleck is in the movie. He is usually cast as someone in a movie as an unlikeable character. I guess Flynn was asked to give an alternate ending due to all the flack about it in the book. I didn't care for the ending either.

message 15: by Marian (new)

Marian I have read all 3 of her books..and I must say I liked Gone Girl the best!
The movie I think comes out next month??

message 16: by Marian (new)

Marian I gave her other 2 books a 3..didnt care as much for them as I did Gone Girl.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, Gone Girl was her best book. I haven't read Dark Places and I did not like Sharp Objects.

message 18: by Marian (new)

Marian Ron wrote: "Yeah, Gone Girl was her best book. I haven't read Dark Places and I did not like Sharp Objects."

I agree with you about Gone Girl Ron:)

message 19: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I just realized the other night while watching a preview of the movie that I've been criticizing Gone Girl based on my opinion of Sharp Objects. LOL! Maybe I should give Gone Girl a try...

message 20: by Marian (new)

Marian Kirsten wrote: "I just realized the other night while watching a preview of the movie that I've been criticizing Gone Girl based on my opinion of Sharp Objects. LOL! Maybe I should give Gone Girl a try..."

Kirsten..Gone Girl..is a very different kind of story I guess you could say.The Gone Girl movie is out next month:)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I wouldn't judge Gone Girl based on Sharp Objects. It is a much better book. I hope to forget that I ever read Sharp Objects.

message 22: by Marian (new)

Marian Ron wrote: "I wouldn't judge Gone Girl based on Sharp Objects. It is a much better book. I hope to forget that I ever read Sharp Objects."

lol!..me to Ron:)

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) Bill wrote: "#1 Sharp Objects - Camille's very damaged but fascinating & the villain is so OTT (loved the dollhouse floor!). Granted artistically not a very good novel.

#2 Dark Places - Heroine kicks ass. Very..."

Bill I love your take on this. Have just finished Gone Girl and have given it a very grudging 2 1/2*.
It is the only Gillian Flynn book I have read and I don't think I will be rushing to read any more.

message 24: by Marian (new)

Marian Sandra wrote: "Bill wrote: "#1 Sharp Objects - Camille's very damaged but fascinating & the villain is so OTT (loved the dollhouse floor!). Granted artistically not a very good novel.

#2 Dark Places - Heroine ki..."

Myself Sandra,I loved Gone Girl and gave it a 5/5 but her other 2 books were..meh.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) Marian wrote: "Sandra wrote: "Bill wrote: "#1 Sharp Objects - Camille's very damaged but fascinating & the villain is so OTT (loved the dollhouse floor!). Granted artistically not a very good novel.

#2 Dark Plac..."

I wanted to love it Marian, I really did try!
Just as well we all have different tastes! 8:D

message 26: by Marian (new)

Marian At least you gave it a try,right Sandra?I can respect that:)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

We all feel differently about books. That's what's great about being in a group like this.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) Marian wrote: "At least you gave it a try,right Sandra?I can respect that:)"

Thank you Marian. I did read it right through to the end. I'm not sorry I read it, but it just didn't give me what a great deal of pleasure. 8:D
I am passing it on to a friend though, and have said I won't tell her what I thought of it until she has read it. 8:D

message 29: by Terri Wino (new)

Terri Wino (terriwino) | 12 comments Personally, I didn't like either character in Gone Girl. But I loved the book. I think sometimes that's what makes a story even more interesting.
For example, I despise the character of Lena in Karin Slaughter's books, but I sure do love the books!

message 30: by Marian (new)

Marian That's just it Terri..I didn't like Nick or Amy either..but it was a darn good book to read:)

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) I know. I have also enjoyed books where I disliked the characters...it was just that i felt that these characters were more caricatures!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

The whole point here is that everyone agrees that we didn't like either character in Gone Girl. It does make the book more interesting.
I haven't read any of Karin slaughter's books yet but will keep an eye on Lena.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) Ron wrote: "The whole point here is that everyone agrees that we didn't like either character in Gone Girl. It does make the book more interesting.
I haven't read any of Karin slaughter's books yet but wil..."

@ Ron Karin Slaughter is REALLY good! 8:D

message 34: by Doseofbella (new)

Doseofbella (goodreadscomdoseofbella) | 5 comments It seems the more that readers say they didn't like the book or the characters, the more I really need to read Gone Girl. My opinion is if a book creates strong feeling of its readers, good or bad, is an awesome book.

message 35: by Marian (new)

Marian Doseofbella wrote: "It seems the more that readers say they didn't like the book or the characters, the more I really need to read Gone Girl. My opinion is if a book creates strong feeling of its readers, good or bad,..."

If you do read it..I hope you enjoy it:)I loved it!

message 36: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Terri wrote: "Personally, I didn't like either character in Gone Girl. But I loved the book. I think sometimes that's what makes a story even more interesting.
For example, I despise the character of Lena in K..."

Terri, I so agree with you about Lena! I want to slap her into shape. Seems like every decision she makes is the opposite of what I'd do!

message 37: by Terri Wino (new)

Terri Wino (terriwino) | 12 comments Yes, Brenda, she is quite the infuriating character!

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) Doseofbella wrote: "It seems the more that readers say they didn't like the book or the characters, the more I really need to read Gone Girl. My opinion is if a book creates strong feeling of its readers, good or bad,..."

That is why I read it. I had heard everyone talking about it - good and bad. It had been sitting in my TBR pile for ages, so finally I did it. I'm glad I've read it. I don't feel it was a waste of time. It just didn't push my buttons! 8:D

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Read all the recent messages in here and felt it was time to post a comparison question in our group read for Peter Swanson. Let's see what kind of response I get. Thanks.

message 40: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1734 comments I think Gillian Flynn is a great writer and I've read all of her books

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be reading Dark Places at some point. I enjoyed Gone Girl.

message 42: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1734 comments I read that book dark places and it was good

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Have to be honest and say that I didn't care for Sharp Objects. We all feel differently about books though and that's why we're here. Thanks for letting me know about Dark Places.

message 44: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1734 comments Sharp objects was a good book

message 45: by Marian (new)

Marian Christine wrote: "I think Gillian Flynn is a great writer and I've read all of her books"

Hi Christine..I have read all 3 of her books as well.And everybody knows here now..that Gone Girl is my fav book.

message 46: by Terri Wino (new)

Terri Wino (terriwino) | 12 comments Chevy Stevens is also good. Still Missing was a great read!

message 47: by Marian (new)

Marian Hi Terri..I have read 3 of her books and I agree with "Still Missing" is a great read.I have her newest book here at home,still to read.

message 48: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 114 comments Excellent article by Erin Kelly in today's (4/10) Daily Telegraph by Erin Kelly - a writeer who's moving up strongly in my ratings. I was a taken a bit aback by her calling some of my favourites 'women's fiction' tho' She should know some of her fans better!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Bill wrote: "Excellent article by Erin Kelly in today's (4/10) Daily Telegraph by Erin Kelly - a writeer who's moving up strongly in my ratings. I was a taken a bit aback by her calling some of my favourites 'w..."

I didn't know she wrote Broadchurch. She's in underrated authors. Wouldn't mind considering her for a group read.

message 50: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 114 comments Saw the film of Gone Girl this afternoon & thought the film better as a film than the book is as a book & it matters less that the characters are pretty surfacey & some of the visual effects such as Amy's arrival home covered with blood after 'escaping' were great. Rosamund Pike looked like Amy to me & the ending was as I recalled from the book & I hadn't the trouble with it I did in the book because the movie Nick is both sleazier & more of a wimp & felt in the film Amy & Nick really deserve each other.

« previous 1