2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
This topic is about Tower of Dawn
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass #6)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Sarah J. Maas‘s book, Tower of Dawn.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Anastasia, Joan, Scott, BMAD_Addicts, Susy, Ronnie, SarahKat, Ju, MacKenzie, Kaylee, Ilona

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 166
Week 2: 166
Week 3: 166
Week 4: 166

message 3: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ilona | 4230 comments I just finished Tower of Dawn! And it was actually pretty good.

To be honest, I was not looking forward to a massive book only about Chaol, not one of the most interesting characters of this series in my opinion. But this book positively surprised me!
We are introduced to new characters and cultures and while the book is way too long, it easily kept my attention until the very end!

I have noticed that I appreciate the calmer books in this series more than the action packed ones.

message 4: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 2 stars

SarahKat | 3450 comments Ilona wrote: "I just finished Tower of Dawn! And it was actually pretty good.

To be honest, I was not looking forward to a massive book only about Chaol, not one of the most interesting characters of this serie..."

I just finished Chapter 8. I'm not loving it so far, but I can see it potentially getting more interesting.

message 5: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ilona | 4230 comments Hang in there. The last 150 pages are the most interesting. :)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I was wondering where choal went.

message 7: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 2 stars

SarahKat | 3450 comments I'm on chapter 37. It's still not my favorite one of the series, but it's better than the beginning. I really dislike Nesryn and I don't know why. I just inwardly groan every time her sections come up. I prefer Chaol's arch, even though I still don't really like him as a person.

message 9: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ilona | 4230 comments Good review, and you definitely have some valid points. I like the characters, but every romance is the same. Where is the diversity that I loved in ACOTAR?!

message 10: by Joan (last edited Jun 17, 2018 06:43AM) (new) - added it

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I'm not completely sure I'm going to read this one. I'm struggling to get into Empire of Storms still. I'm not really a Chaol fan either.

message 11: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 2 stars

SarahKat | 3450 comments Ilona wrote: "Good review, and you definitely have some valid points. I like the characters, but every romance is the same. Where is the diversity that I loved in ACOTAR?!"

I haven't read that yet. I plan to because everything I've heard says it's much better than this series.

And it's not that I actively hate the characters. I just felt Nesryn wasn't fully realized, and everyone else was sort of brushed over just because there were so many new ones. Chaol and Yrene were the only ones with some depth to them, and that depth was just super similar to other drama elsewhere in the story.

Joan, just read the last 200 pages or so. You'll be confused for a minute but it covers everything you'll need to know going into the next one.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Just finished Empire of Storms. Took longer than I thought even though I enjoyed it. I have several other books in progress so I don't think I'll finish Tower of Dawn this month maybe not even start until beginning of July.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I'm almost halfway though this. I have been also reading the 'Assassins Blade' novellas as at least one of the characters in Tower of Dawn was introduced in one of the novellas.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Finally finished this one. I agree with SarahKat's review. And I do think we should have started with the Assassin's blade which apparently was released as 5 free e-books before the first main novel was released. The growth of Yrene from when she met Aelin back in the Assassin's blade until she met Chaol several years later in Tower of Dawn was pretty nice. But Tower of Dawn was still pretty boring compared with the last few books in the series.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Tower of Dawn (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sarah J. Maas (other topics)