Beyond Reality discussion

Robin Hobb
This topic is about Robin Hobb
SERIES—List & Discussions > Realm of the Elderlings: discussion schedule

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shel, Moderator (last edited Nov 21, 2018 06:33PM) (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2393 comments Mod
Edited schedule to adjust for one book per month, with a catch-up month between trilogies!!

Farseer Trilogy-
July 1: Assassin's Apprentice
August 15: Royal Assassin
September 15: Assassin's Quest
Liveships Trilogy -
October 15: Ship of Magic (which for some reason Goodreads doesn't feel like linking)
November 15: The Mad Ship
December 15: Ship of Destiny

January 2019 - catch up month

Tawny Man Trilogy -
February 15: Fool's Errand
March 15: Golden Fool
April 15: Fool's Fate

May - catch up month

Rain Wild Chronicles -
June 15: The Dragon Keeper
July 15: Dragon Haven
August 15: City of Dragons
September 15: Blood of Dragons

October - catch up month

Prequel -
November 15: The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince
Fitz and the Fool trilogy:
December 15: Fool's Assassin
January 15 2020: Fool's Quest
February 15: Assassin's Fate

I'm excited to read these - I've read through the Tawny Man books and loved most of them, but didn't keep up with the series when life got busy. Re-reading the early ones will be fun and I have high hopes for the rest!

message 2: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) This is a huge group read.

Any chance for still squeezing another series before 2020 or the group read quota has run out?

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3380 comments Mod
Silvana wrote: "This is a huge group read. Any chance for still squeezing another series before 2020 or the group read quota has run out?"
Were you thinking of a different fantasy series or a science fiction series? I think you just have to see what the interest might be, maybe in a different thread?

Shel wrote: "Hi everyone! I think most people wanted a 6-week schedule, so how does this sound..."
I am so excited to read this with the group!I have only read the first trilogy, and plan to reread that when we start next month.

And I hope we can revisit The Expanse series read as new books come out.

message 4: by Sean (new)

Sean | 4 comments Is July when we start or when we should have it read by?

message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Sean wrote: "Is July when we start or when we should have it read by?"

July is when the discussion for the first book will start. Some people like to have the book read by then and others see that as the time to start it. It really is personal preference. If you have not finished it when the threads are posted, you may want to avoid the thread that has spoilers until you are finished with that book.

message 6: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Silvana wrote: "This is a huge group read.

Any chance for still squeezing another series before 2020 or the group read quota has run out?"

Would people prefer to do one a month instead of six weeks? We'd finish earlier then -- it's the same number of books as the Deverry series, I think, and we finished that in about a year and a half.

message 7: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Shel wrote: "Would people prefer to do one a month instead of six weeks? We'd finish earlier then -- it's the same number of books as the Deverry series, I think, and we finished that in about a year and a half."

Very close--Deverry was 15 books and this is 16. I really think one per month is fine, but I am retired! Maybe we need a poll to decide?

message 8: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Kathi wrote: "Shel wrote: "Would people prefer to do one a month instead of six weeks? We'd finish earlier then -- it's the same number of books as the Deverry series, I think, and we finished that in about a ye..."

I'll set one up!

message 9: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Poll is here: I set it to remain up for 5 days.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Either way, we'll start July 1!

message 10: by Shel, Moderator (new)

The majority has voted for one month per book, so we will go with that. We'll keep the July 1 start date, but if the rest of you don't object I'm going to make the executive decision to move the rest of the series to the 15th of every month, to make it a little easier for those who want to also participate in the other BOTM discussions that begin on the 1st. So we'll do Assassin's Apprentice July 1, but wait until August 15 for Royal Assassin and then do the 15th of every month from then out. Any strong objections to that?

message 11: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Works for me, or start July 15. I’m in regardless.

message 12: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 40 comments Just for the sake of clarity: there's a 17th related novel, The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince. This is a short tale (long novella? very short novel? well, very short for a fantasy novel, at least...), set hundreds of years before the other 16 novels. However, it's probably best not to read it first. Not having read it yet myself, I don't know how bad the spoilers are, but part of Hobb's skill is in how she gradually reveals her world and its history, and some of that would probably be spoiled by reading the backstory first. It's probably best read before Fool's Assassin, which I think is when it was published.

There are also a couple of short stories in the same setting, but they're not essential to the main storyline(s).

message 13: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 188 comments Oh, I didn’t see the poll! I really would’ve preferred 6 weeks per Books. They get longer and longer as the series continues. I suppose I can skim them if it gets tight.

message 14: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 188 comments The Wilful Princess... doesn’t really spoil anything but I’d still recommend reading it towards the end.

message 15: by Lindsey (last edited Jul 09, 2018 11:28AM) (new)

Lindsey | 403 comments Re: Willful Princess, would definitely recommend reading it in publication order. It would probably be confusing early and reading it too early would pull some of the emotional punch of the story.

message 16: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Lindsey wrote: "Re: Willful Princess, would definitely recommend reading it in publication order. It would probably be confusing early and reading it too early would pull some of the emotional punch of the story."

Would it work to add it in to the end, after Assassin's Fate?

message 17: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 403 comments Shel wrote: "Would it work to add it in to the end, after Assassin's Fate? "

I don't remember any reason why not. I really enjoyed it and I think it would lend a lot of flavor to the Wit/Skill conflict after the first trilogy.

message 18: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 188 comments I feel like tacking the Willful Princess... on after Assassin’s Fate would really detract from the end of the series and also lessen its own impact. It was published after the Dragon Keepers series, but I think it could be read anytime after the first trilogy (The Farseers).

message 19: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Diane wrote: "I feel like tacking the Willful Princess... on after Assassin’s Fate would really detract from the end of the series and also lessen its own impact. It was published after the Dragon Keepers series..."

Fair enough...I'll trust the opinion of someone who's read them all. How does publication order sound to everyone?

message 20: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Shel wrote: "Fair enough...I'll trust the opinion of someone who's read them all. How does publication order sound to everyone?”

Sounds good to me.

message 21: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Series reading schedule above has been edited!

message 22: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Series reading schedule has been edited again - new and improved with a catch-up month between trilogies! :)

message 23: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I know we have a catch-up month before starting the final arc in this series. I am so looking forward to seeing how Hobb wraps this up and brings the various storylines together. But I am also sad that we will then be leaving this Realm. It has been hard to not read ahead, but I get more out of each book if I stay with the group’s schedule.

message 24: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I know! I've had a hard time resisting the temptation to plunge into the next set.

message 25: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

The entire Rain Wilds Chronicles (4 books) is on sale as an ebook set for $2.99. At Amazon, Apple Books, and Barnes and Noble.

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Wilds-Chr...