The Challenge Factory discussion

The Briar King (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #1)
This topic is about The Briar King
2018 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Angie & Denise - The Briar King

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 4 stars

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5936 comments Mod
Angie & Denise - The Briar King

message 2: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Jun 02, 2018 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Let me know when you get the book and are ready to start! :)

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments I got the book from the library today. How do you want to do the reading by chapters or page numbers?

message 4: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Jun 09, 2018 02:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'd prefer chapters, then we won't end up having to stop in the middle of a scene. :)
Looks like the chapters are fairly short, about 10-15 pages each. How many do you want to do per day?

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments 5-7 chapters daily

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments I did five chapters today.

message 7: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (last edited Jun 10, 2018 12:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Very good, works for me! I'll have to catch up today (it's already late Sunday morning over here and the house is about to be invaded by the not-yet-inlaws). Are we counting the prelude and prologue as a chapter each?

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments I did but you don't have to

message 9: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 4 stars

I ended up counting them, too. Didn't quite manage my intended quota yesterday though thanks to house full of people, but I've gotten started and have read until the end of chapter 4 for now.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments What do you think so far? I don't like the oldest sister.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments What do you think so far? I don't like the oldest sister.

message 12: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fastia? Yeah, me neither. Though I'm pretty sure we're supposed to dislike her. I hope Anne grows on me somewhat since she's one of the main characters, but so far she seems like a selfish, annoying brat.
So far (I'm up to chapter 8 now) Neil is the character I'm most interested in getting to know better. Looks like the next chapter is one of his again, so let's see.
I wonder if the worldbuilding will go a little deeper into the connections between Crotheny and our world that were hinted at in the beginning.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments I didn't get to read much of this today. The chapter Widdershins gave me more insight into Neil's character. Anne had a strange talk with a woman in a golden mask.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments I'm reading Part 2 now. Very interesting things happen in this section. Brother Stephan is taking quite by surprise. Neil gets a new role.

message 15: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've also gotten started on Part 2, though I've only managed one chapter of it so far... I like Winna, though. A lot more than annoying Anne and her sisters.
Sorry I'm so slow with this by the way, I'm sneaking in a chapter or two whenever I can but I've got a million other things I need to be reading at the same time between finishing up my spring challenge and a bunch of library deadlines coming up. XD

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments No worries on the pace you're going. I'm a fast reader and the story is starting to suck me which makes it hard to stop at 5 chapters. I don't think Anne is annoying just really young and naive about the world around her. Winna, I like better than Fastia but not by much. I hate the Queen right now. Brother Stephan is another favorite and Aspar White as well.

message 17: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 4 stars

Another three chapters done. It hasn't really sucked me in quite yet, though I'm interested to see where all of this build-up is leading. I wouldn't mind the pace being a bit faster, though... feels like not all that much is happening considering I'm 200 pages into the book by now.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Build up is taking alot of time to get there. I feel like I'm in the middle of the build-up right now. Just based on where I'm at in the story. I think I'm soon gonna see the Briar King but I'm not sure either.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments I'm liking the book enough that I might get the next book in the series.

message 20: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 4 stars

Apologies for the radio silence, I had to take a break from this for a few days to finish up my spring challenge. :)

How far along are you? I finally finished part 2 today. I'm still kind of torn on how I feel about the book - there are so many intriguing aspects to the story that keep me going, but I'm finding it hard to connect with the characters. I pretty much resent the entire royal family by now. I do hope Anne will get some serious character development with where she's headed now, though. Anyway - on to part 3 tomorrow!

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Part 3 brings about many changes that I feel make the book speed up in pace. To be honest I finished the book today. I've got some questions about a few things that have happened. I won't spoil what you find.

Anne gets a rude awakening in Part 3 that changes everything. I think you'll like her better for it. The royal family is a bunch of hypocrites in all honesty. I think the most difficult part for me was the constant introduction of characters when I didn't think it was needed. However, I was proven wrong in the end for all of the characters introduced. I'm seriously considering getting the next book in the series for next month buddy read challenge.

message 22: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 4 stars

Progressing slowly but surely. I've finished part 3, and things do seem to be picking up at least somewhat. Anne's mixture of selfishness, arrogance and naiveté is still driving me nuts, though. You'd think she'd finally clue in to the fact that the world does not, in fact, revolve around her and her childish desires and pay more attention to her strange supernatural encounters instead of whining about Roderick.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments I'll agree with you about Anne whining about Roderick. I think Cazio is more than a match for Anne.

message 24: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finally done! I was glad to see the pace pick up over the last couple of hundred pages, part 4 finally had me hooked rather than just kinda sorta interested in what was going on. I still don't have any strong feelings for most of the characters (other than, in some cases, annoyance), but the story is intriguing enough that I'll be picking up the next book sooner or later.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments Would you be interested in reading The Charnel Prince with me in July? Or do you want a break?

message 26: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 4 stars

Interested, definitely. I'm just a little hesitant to comit to a buddy read next month since I'll be on vacation and probably traipsing around four countries over four weeks - which won't keep me from reading, but might make me an even less reliable buddy than this time when it comes to sticking to a schedule. XD But if you don't mind that, I'm in.

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 2154 comments I don't mind at all. I'll request the book today.

message 28: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'll get us set up!