Lucy Preston Literary Society discussion

Getting Started > Suggestion for organization purposes

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mona (last edited Jun 01, 2018 09:58PM) (new)

Mona May I make a suggestion for this group's organization? I recommend creating a separate discussion/thread for every episode of the show. That way, we can learn about and discuss books based on topics and historical figures, without having to read through all of the posts.

E.g. I could suggest books I have read about the Hindenburg in the episode 1 discussion, and find others' suggestions for books about the Lincoln assassination or Robert Todd Lincoln's life in the episode 2 discussion.

This setup should also avoid redundant questions. Of course, we could still have discussions/threads about time periods, historical figures, etc. NOT featured in the show, general reading recs, etc. But this organization may help us streamline discussions and make it easier to find what we are looking for.

Just my two cents! :)

message 2: by Kerza (last edited Jun 01, 2018 10:11PM) (new)

Kerza (handler) | 11 comments Sounds like a good idea to me. Any way the bookshelf can be organized in a similar way? I guess a separate shelf for each episode or topic? I'm just getting familiar with goodreads.

message 3: by Jes (new)

Jes | 5 comments How do you view the bookshelf associated with the group? I’m new to groups and don’t see it.

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Ellis | 1 comments I like the idea - but not sure how to do this. Mona, if you are familiar with how to do this, I am happy to help.

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (wonderwaugh79) | 45 comments Mod
Excellent idea! I am currently out of town. When I get home this evening I will try to organize everything by episode! Thank you

message 6: by Manisha (new)

Manisha Chaudhari | 1 comments @jes m: i couldn't access the bookshelf from the goodreads app, but could see it from the webpage

message 7: by madsenmel (new)

madsenmel | 5 comments Great idea! There are definitely periods of history I'm more interested in than others, and I think categorizing books by episode is really helpful. And, of course, a shelf for episodes they *should* do (historical books about events not covered on the show - they've said they logistically probably can't do a Triangle Shirtwaist Fire episode, but I've read several fascinating books about it. Or the Donner Party, or the Johnstown Flood...I read too much!).

message 8: by Jamie (new)

I have organized the bookshelves by episode title. We can create shelves for other historical figures/periods as well!! Great idea, thank you!!

message 9: by Kerza (new)

Kerza (handler) | 11 comments Newbie question, goodreads on a mobile devise, where do I find the bookshelf?

message 10: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 20 comments I found a thread in the GR Feedback group that discussing the drawbacks of the mobile app and one of them is that you cannot view bookshelves. :( The prevailing advice is to find it by logging into the website on your device. They've been "working" on it for years!

message 11: by Kerza (last edited Jun 02, 2018 08:06AM) (new)

Kerza (handler) | 11 comments Thank you for the information, Aileen.

message 12: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 8 comments Thank you to whoever started all of the different discussion threads for each episode. I would love (and am happy to add myself when I have a little more time) a brief episode synopsis in each to jog my memory about the people, places, and events in that episode.

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Good idea Natasha!! I will try to work on that as well!! Thank you

message 14: by Mona (last edited Jun 02, 2018 12:29PM) (new)

Mona I'm a little confused - I saw discussion threads for each episode earlier today when I looked at the group via the mobile app. Now when I look at the group via the website, I'm not seeing those any longer. Was there a change?

Goodreads has been a bit funky for me in the past few days so maybe it's just an issue with the website...?

message 15: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 8 comments I can see them on the mobile app, but can only see them on the desktop site when they’ve already been commented on.

message 16: by Mona (new)

Mona Yes, I see them on the mobile app. I think they're folders/topics, not discussion threads.

Ok, I think I understand. When we're creating a new thread, we should be able to choose the related episode.

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Biggs | 2 comments Is there a section or shelf on books that Lucy has read? Maybe a list of what she’s read or what we can assume she’s read based off of what she has said in the show. I would love to read books that Lucy Preston has read.

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna (acdellica) | 4 comments Would a General History or General US History category on the shelf be helpful? I see a few books that are on the shelf, but don’t fit with an episode at character category.

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Anna wrote: "Would a General History or General US History category on the shelf be helpful? I see a few books that are on the shelf, but don’t fit with an episode at character category."
I saw that as well. Thank you! I added a shelf today for History(general)

message 20: by Jamie (new)

Amanda wrote: "Is there a section or shelf on books that Lucy has read? Maybe a list of what she’s read or what we can assume she’s read based off of what she has said in the show. I would love to read books that..."
There is an inspired by Lucy Presto shelf and I believe a discussion folder with books that Abby has listed on social media. Hope that helps!