Lucy Preston Literary Society discussion

#GreatReadPBS

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 27 comments Mod
Are you guys voting in the Great American Read on www.pbs.org?

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/vote/#

What are some of your favorites from the 100 chosen?

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 27 comments Mod
Some of the ones I've voted for so far are -

To Kill A Mockingbird
Pride and Prejudice
Little Women
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Anne of Green Gables
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Frankenstein
The Outsiders
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Charlotte's Web

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 44 comments It's interesting that a lot of the books are not written by American authors. That being said, Pride & Prejudice is one of my favorites!

I have voted for:

A Prayer for Owen Meany
Charlotte's Web
Little Women

There are some others on the list that I really like, such as The Martian, but I don't know if it should win.

I wish one of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books had made the list!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahreadsroyals) | 20 comments Catherine wrote: "It's interesting that a lot of the books are not written by American authors. That being said, Pride & Prejudice is one of my favorites!

I have voted for:

A Prayer for Owen Meany
Charlotte's Web
..."

I know, I WAS surprised that Laura Ingalls Wilder books didn't appear on the list. This book is considered as American classics and I know many people had read her books.

message 5: by Beth (last edited Jul 20, 2018 06:57PM) (new)

Beth | 8 comments The Library of Congress has a list of "Books that Shaped America". I saw the exhibit in ... 2012 or so? It was amazing. They maintain it on their website tho, and even add books as the need arises.

https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-13-005/

(and my first vote was for The Red Fern Grows - a childhood favorite that made me cry. I think the first book that did.)

message 6: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 27 comments Mod
Thank you, thank you! :)

I didn't know such a list existed. Bookmarked it to read later!

(Can't go wrong with Where the Red Fern Grows...)

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (xfkirsten) | 19 comments SunnyBea wrote: "The Library of Congress has a list of "Books that Shaped America". I saw the exhibit in ... 2012 or so? It was amazing. They maintain it on their website tho, and even add books as the need arises...."

Thank you for that!

The gap from 1987-2002 is interesting. I also find it disappointing that they neglect to include anything from John Muir, whose writing and vivid descriptions of the western wilderness was one of the driving forces behind the creation of the entire National Park System.