Lucy Preston Literary Society discussion

What to read? What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Ide | 1 comments So, since we're here, what shall we read? Fiction? Nonfiction? Amazing female authors? So many good books so little time.

Personally, I've just finished reading an amazing trilogy by Alwyn Hamilton called Rebel of the Sands. All three books were fantastic. Lush prose, engaging characters, and a young female protagonist who is delightful. Currently reading Blood of the Four by Christopher Golden and Tim Lebbon. Next up, moving on to Flame of the Mist by Renee Ahdieh and the first two books in the Ember of the Ashes series by Sabaa Tahir.

What are you reading, #Clockblockers?

message 2: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 44 comments I'm reading six (ugh) books right now. None of them are non-fiction and they aren't related to the show so I won't list them all. I usually try to read one non-fiction book along with a couple of fiction books at a time, but just at the moment it's all fiction for me.

I did add two books to the group's bookshelf that are related to episodes from the show -- if this is not okay just let me know and I won't add more! :)

message 3: by Laura1865s (new)

Laura1865s | 7 comments I'm hoping to read the Mrs. Sherlock Homes book soon :)

message 4: by Jenni (new)

Jenni Marie | 2 comments Because of the Hedy Lamarr episode I borrowed my sister's copy of "Hedy's Folly: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World." It is a pretty great read, and it sheds more light on to what an amazing woman Hedy was.

Also, all of Tasha Alexander's works are pretty great! Not only did she novelize Elizabeth: The Golden Age; but she also writes some pretty spectacular mysteries set in the 19th century. With a badass female sleuth for the lead. Yes they are set in England, so not fully connected to Timeless at all. But they are full of historical facts, and I could see Lucy enjoying them. :)

message 5: by Laura1865s (new)

Laura1865s | 7 comments Also I have read Manhunt & I highly recommend it :) When Lucy talks about her book in 1X02 I imagine it to be a lot like Manhunt with a emphasis on details & the precise movement of the people involved

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 44 comments Jenni, I love Tasha Alexander's books! I got to meet her at a book signing a few years ago. Her husband is also an author (Andrew Grant) and Andrew's brother is the author Lee Child, who writes the Jack Reacher books.

One of the books I'm reading now is historical fiction also -- Murder on Union Square by Victoria Thompson. It's a great series.

message 7: by Jes (new)

Jes | 5 comments Historical fiction fan here! Just finished America’s First Daughter - now reading Mrs. Lincoln’s Dressmaker!

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 44 comments Laura, I haven't read Mrs. Sherlock Holmes yet either -- maybe we could do a group read!?

message 9: by Jes (new)

Jes | 5 comments I have Mrs. Sherlock Holmes on my short list too! Also, Devil in the White City deals with H.H. Holmes and is a VERY good read!

message 10: by Laura1865s (new)

Laura1865s | 7 comments Catherine wrote: "Laura, I haven't read Mrs. Sherlock Holmes yet either -- maybe we could do a group read!?"
That sounds like a great idea :)

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie W | 7 comments Laura1865s wrote: "I'm hoping to read the Mrs. Sherlock Homes book soon :)"

What's the Mrs. Sherlock Holmes book? I loved that episode!

message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 44 comments Devil in the White City is one of my all-time favorite books. It is so interesting! I learned so much from that book. All of his books are fantastic.

message 13: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 44 comments Stephanie it's on the group book shelf. Mrs. Sherlock Holmes Here's the link. David Hoffman (one of the writers from the show) recommended it on Twitter.

message 14: by Jenni (new)

Jenni Marie | 2 comments Catherine wrote: "Jenni, I love Tasha Alexander's books! I got to meet her at a book signing a few years ago. Her husband is also an author (Andrew Grant) and Andrew's brother is the author Lee Child, who writes the..."

Catherine, I am so jealous! I would die if I met her. That might sound dramatic, but her books kept me sane during a very trying time in my life.

Also, I am glad to hear Victoria Thompson's books are good, they are next on my list. Have you read Raybourn or Huber? They also have some pretty great books!

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie W | 7 comments Catherine wrote: "Stephanie it's on the group book shelf. Mrs. Sherlock Holmes Here's the link. David Hoffman (one of the writers from the show) recommended it on Twitter."

Oh, haha, thanks! I never used one of these forums :)

message 16: by angela (new)

angela | 2 comments If y’all like Historical Fiction, I suggest the author Edward Rutherford. He writes epic novels (like 1000 pages long) about a city’s history through the eyes of different fictional families. I just finished New York (which focuses on the history from the 1600s to 2009) and I’m reading London right now, and it’s like life-changing. I HIGHLY recommend, especially if you need an engaging book for a long plane ride or vacation. (:

message 17: by Hollie (new)

Hollie Eastman | 1 comments I’d love hedy or mrs Sherlock

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 44 comments Jenni I did almost die of excitement that night. I met her, her husband and Lee Child that night. It was like every Christmas and every birthday combined :)

If you are on Facebook you should join her group, Lady Emily Book Club Discussion. And you should message her and tell her how much her books mean to you. She would probably love that!!

I will check out those other authors you mentioned!

message 19: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 44 comments Stephanie wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Stephanie it's on the group book shelf. Mrs. Sherlock Holmes Here's the link. David Hoffman (one of the writers from the show) recommended it on Twitter."

Oh, hah..."

I'm a total Goodreads nerd. I'm kind of addicted to it!

message 20: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 44 comments Laura1865s wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Laura, I haven't read Mrs. Sherlock Holmes yet either -- maybe we could do a group read!?"
That sounds like a great idea :)"

I will check with the group moderator to see if it is okay to set it up!

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 44 comments Angela wrote: "If y’all like Historical Fiction, I suggest the author Edward Rutherford. He writes epic novels (like 1000 pages long) about a city’s history through the eyes of different fictional families. I jus..."

I think I have one of his books in my books-to-read pile. They sound like something I would enjoy!

message 22: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 27 comments Mod
I would love to do a group read, and Mrs. Sherlock Holmes would be a great book for us to start with.

I read all kinds of things - history, nonfiction, biographies, fiction, fantasy, sci-fi, romance (mostly historical). I'm addicted to books. My TBR pile is outrageous and I just buy more. I hope joining Goodreads will help me get back on track of actually reading them all.

message 23: by Amanda (last edited Jun 01, 2018 08:15PM) (new)

Amanda | 1 comments I'm reading "The Buffalo Soldiers: A Narrative of the Black Cavalry in the West" by William H. Leckie and Shirley A. Leckie, doing research for a project. It's hard to put this one down -- it's infuriating how much these soldiers did for the American infrastructure (they constructed roads, raised telegraph poles, protected settlers, delivered mail, etc.), all while being constantly derided. I grew up in the city in which Fort Concho is located, so I thought it was about time that I learned all about the 10th Cavalry.

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 44 comments Jenna wrote: "I would love to do a group read, and Mrs. Sherlock Holmes would be a great book for us to start with.

I read all kinds of things - history, nonfiction, biographies, fiction, fantasy, sci-fi, roman..."

My TBR pile has only gotten worse because I get so many good ideas from other people here :) But I'm still hoping to read them all someday. I sent a message to Jamie about setting up a group read for Mrs. Sherlock Holmes!

message 25: by Loriann (new)

Loriann Zello | 1 comments I’m reading Mitch Albom’s The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto. Lots of cameos by real musicians. I love this author. I’m from the east coast and his style is very east coast to me. His one novel Five People You Meet In Heaven has a sequel coming out this fall and I’m totally here for that. My next book is going to be a RFK biography that my history/politics interested son recommended. It looks a bit dry but I’ll give it a go. This is AmazingGraceTx from Twitter, btw! Nice to meet all of you.

message 26: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 44 comments Hey Loriann!!!

message 27: by Meagan (new)

Meagan (meagan350) | 1 comments “Passenger” and “Wayfarer” by Alexandra Bracken are two of my favorites. Although they are YA, they are very similar to Timeless through the incorporation of an evil organization and time travel. I highly recommend both!

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie W | 7 comments Thanks Meagan, been reading "The Girl from Everywhere" YA about girl who time travels with her father. It's pretty good. I've been trying to find good time travel books like Timeless
-Steph

message 29: by Kerza (last edited Jun 01, 2018 08:37PM) (new)

Kerza (handler) | 11 comments Jes wrote: "I have Mrs. Sherlock Holmes on my short list too! Also, Devil in the White City deals with H.H. Holmes and is a VERY good read!"

I have read Devil in the White City and it was a fascinating and frightening read. I like the idea of Mrs. Sherlock Holmes as a group read, too.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahreadsroyals) | 20 comments I never knew Mrs. Sherlock Holmes was a book and now I have to put that on my to-read shelf since I loved this episode!

I'm currently reading Cress (Part of Lunar Chronicles) and The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet. I hadn't read long enough to form an opinion of them yet :P

message 31: by Kerza (new)

Kerza (handler) | 11 comments Amanda wrote: "I'm reading "The Buffalo Soldiers: A Narrative of the Black Cavalry in the West" by William H. Leckie and Shirley A. Leckie, doing research for a project. It's hard to put this one down -- it's inf..."

The Buffalo Soldiers were stationed at several forts in Texas. You might research the Seminole Scouts as well. They served with the Army in Texas in the 1800s as well.

message 32: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (ladybellefiske) | 5 comments Reading “when breath becomes air” which is the true story of a young neurosurgeon who discovers he is dying of cancer. Bad he didn’t live because he was an excellent writer. I recommend this book to anybody even though I just started it.

message 33: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (ladybellefiske) | 5 comments I also am reading “Two Lives”
by Reeve Lindbergh. It’s musings on her family’s life and her own life on the farm in northern Vermont. It’s very familiar to me this life and yet quite different. I am a great admirer of The writing of her mother, Anne Morrow Lindbergh. Reeves style is quite different and is often humorous. It gives you a glimpse into her own life and into that of her parents.

message 34: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (ladybellefiske) | 5 comments Really want to read that book about Hedy Lamarr

message 35: by Amarah (new)

Amarah Alghadban | 2 comments Started reading The Imperial Harem: Women and Sovereignty in the Ottoman Empire by Leslie Peirce! Talks about the Sultanate of Women a 130 year period when women were running the empire.

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1 comments I'm loving the book Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire

message 37: by Nora (new)

Nora Haase | 2 comments I haven’t used goodreads in quite a while. How do I access the group’s bookshelf?

message 38: by madsenmel (new)

madsenmel | 5 comments I had Mrs. Sherlock Holmes on my Kindle for ages and I finally started it last night...I fell asleep on the pages, I just couldn't stop reading it! From what I can tell in the book, Timeless nailed her character. It's really engaging, and I haven't even gotten to the main case yet!!!

message 39: by madsenmel (new)

madsenmel | 5 comments I second Rassenger and Wayfarer...I love those books! Definitely shades of Rittenhouse, a Lucy, and a Flyatt love interest.

message 40: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 44 comments Hi! The discussion folders are open for the group read of Mrs. Sherlock Holmes! I'm going to start the book later today but there is no start or end date for the group read -- anyone can join at anytime and read at your own pace. If you have questions about the set up let me know. Thanks!

message 41: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 20 comments I'd been trying to have themes to my yearly reading. This year was Terry Pratchett and Ursula Le Guin. Last year was Terry Brooks. But I'm flexible. Currently reading Pratchett's Moving Pictures.

I'll have to find Mrs. Sherlock Holmes.

message 42: by Kerza (new)

Kerza (handler) | 11 comments I recommend anything by Lois McMaster Bujold or Robin McKinley. Both are masterful writers.

message 43: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 8 comments So happy to join this group! I usually have a few books going. At the moment, I'm reading The Secrets of Gaslight Lane, part of a Holmsian-inspired Victorian mystery series, and a biography, The Road to Dawn: Josiah Henson and the Story That Sparked the Civil War.

I just finished Connie Willis's very excellent time travel novels, Blackout and All Clear, and am actually planning a bit of a time travel reading theme for the summer, so will be eagerly adding to my TBR list through threads in this group, I can already tell!

message 44: by Emmy (new)

Emmy Curtis | 2 comments If you read historical novels, I've just started My Dear Hamilton, by Laura Kamoie and Stephanie Dray. Their previous book about the 'founding women' is America's First Daughter. I'm just fascinated by the level of research these two do, and how they manage to write fiction, that's so well wrapped up in fact. America's First Daughter was a stay-up-late-to-see-what-happens-next kind of book... and I'm so far enjoying Mr Dear Hamilton too.

message 45: by Emmy (new)

Emmy Curtis | 2 comments Angela wrote: "I'm loving the book Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire"

I loved this book... also the movie!

message 46: by Erinn (new)

Erinn Robinson | 1 comments I’m a huge fan of historical fiction. I’m currently reading “Doc” by Maria Doria Russell, about Doc Holliday. It’s really interesting and is his life leading up to the events of the OK Corral (she handles that in the sequel). She is a great author and has written several historical fixtion novels on a variety of subjects (and one science fixtion - The Sparrow- that might be one of my favorite books of all time.

message 47: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenjay) For those that like the subject of time travel, I urge you to read the works of John Finney. His stories and novels, especially Time and Again, set partially in late 19th century Manhattan, are both historically accurate and also raise profound issues about cause and effect.

message 48: by ebookclassics (new)

ebookclassics | 20 comments I'm currently reading A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles. It's starts a few years after the revolution. A count is accused of writing a subversive poem and sentenced to house arrest in the fancy hotel where he is staying. It touches on different periods of Russian history as the decades pass by and is charming, funny and lighthearted.

message 49: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 27 comments Mod
ebookclassics wrote: "I'm currently reading A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles. It's starts a few years after the revolution. A count is accused of writing a subversive poem and sentenced to house arrest in the fancy ..."

I want to read that as well! Just added it to my Amazon wish list actually. Happy to hear that it is a charming read!

message 50: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 27 comments Mod
Nora wrote: "I haven’t used goodreads in quite a while. How do I access the group’s bookshelf?"

Hi Nora, below is the direct link, but do you see all the little links in blue writing further up the page, on the right side of the screen? They say things like Group Home, Bookshelf, Discussions, Challenges...

https://www.goodreads.com/group/bookshelf/615490-lucy-preston-literary-society

« previous 1