The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 25.4 - Rina's Task: 2018 FIFA World Cup

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2018 02:32PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5379 comments Mod
25.4 - Rina's Task: 2018 FIFA World Cup

This summer the largest and the most prestigious soccer tournament - The FIFA World Cup - takes place. It will be held from 14 June to 15 July 2018 and will involve 32 national teams.

This is a 2 book task. Choose 2 different options and read a book for each. REQUIRED: State which options you choose.

The books must have a combined total of at least 600 pages.

Option 1: Read a book with a main page genre of sports. Genre may be standalone or embedded.
Examples: Born to Run A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

Option 2: The 2018 FIFA World Cup will be the 21st FIFA World Cup. Read a book from a series that has 21 or more primary books (without counting .5 books - whole numbers only) in it. For example The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) by Agatha Christie - Hercule Poirot series has more than 21 primary works. Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5) by J.D. Robb - In Death series has more than 21 primary works.

Option 3: The 2018 FIFA World Cup is scheduled to be held in 11 cities in Russia, making use of 12 venues. Read a book with a setting (city/state/province/country*) that starts with a letter from RUSSIA.
Examples: The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio - set in Italy. Under the Banner of Heaven A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer - set in Utah.

*USA and UK may not be used as a country - you may use a book set e.g. in San Francisco or in Arizona, but you can't use a book that is set in Boston (B and M are not in RUSSIA).

REQUIRED: If it is not apparent from the description or metadata, please provide a reference for the setting.

Option 4: I've been watching World Cups since 2002 and last time (in 2014) my favourite team (Germany) has finally won. Some of the major persons in the German team were:

Joachim Löw - head coach
Philipp Lahm - team captain
Manuel Neuer - Golden Glove award winner for being the best goalkeeper in the tournament
Miroslav Klose - top goalscorer in the history of the FIFA World Cup
Mario Götze - scored the winning goal in the final game against Argentina.

Read a book by a single author who shares his/her first and last initials with one of these persons. Middle initials should be ignored.
Example: The Good Girl by Mary Kubica - author shares initials with Miroslav Klos. Initials may be in reversed order. Example: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - author shares initials with Mario Gotze.

message 2: by Rina (last edited Jul 17, 2018 09:53AM) (new)

Rina | 564 comments Goal scored (approved books):

Option 1:
Catching Caden - MPG Sports
Virgin Territory - MPG Sports
The Scandal/Beartown - MPG Sports
Summerland - MPG Sports
The Heritage: Black Athletes, a Divided America, and the Politics of Patriotism - MPG Sports
Reality Check - MPG Sports

Option 2:
Vampires are Forever - Argeneau Series has more than 21 books in it. (The book you read doesn't have to be higher than 21. You can read any book from the series if the series has 21or more primary books in it. )

Option 3:
The Cheerleaders - set in Sunnybrook
Posies and Poison - set in Sweetfern Harbor

message 3: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Res.

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5379 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1402 comments So this book would work for option 3 The Cheerleaders

the first sentence in synopsis is
"There are no more cheerleaders in the town of Sunnybrook."

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7956 comments can I please get Catching Caden locked in for sports - currently at the top of the list

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7956 comments for option 2 - does the book you read in the series have to be higher than 22 or as long as there are more than 22 books?

ie. the Argeneau series by Lyndsey Sands has 28 primary works (https://www.goodreads.com/series/4068...) - but i'm only up to book 8 in the series

message 8: by Rina (last edited Jun 03, 2018 02:28AM) (new)

Rina | 564 comments JennRenee wrote: "So this book would work for option 3 The Cheerleaders

the first sentence in synopsis is
"There are no more cheerleaders in the town of Sunnybrook.""

Yes, it is stated multiple times in the description that it is set in Sunnybrook. Happy reading!

message 9: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Dee wrote: "can I please get Catching Caden locked in for sports - currently at the top of the list"

MPG sports noted. Happy reading!

message 10: by Rina (last edited Jun 03, 2018 02:33AM) (new)

Rina | 564 comments Dee wrote: "for option 2 - does the book you read in the series have to be higher than 22 or as long as there are more than 22 books?

ie. the Argeneau series by Lyndsey Sands has 28 primary works (https://www..."

You can read any book from the series, the book doesn't have to be higher than 21. Happy reading!

message 11: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4328 comments Rina wrote: "You can read any book from the series, the book doesn't have to be higher than 21."

Thank you. I have just started the In Death series and am only on #3.

message 12: by Bea (last edited Jun 03, 2018 04:03AM) (new)

Bea | 4328 comments If I understand Option 3 correctly, I can read Savannah Blues for this since the city name starts with an S (found in RUSSIA). (Set in Savannah GA)

message 13: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Bea wrote: "If I understand Option 3 correctly, I can read Savannah Blues for this since the city name starts with an S (found in RUSSIA). (Set in Savannah GA)"

Yes, this book works. Happy Reading!

message 14: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1585 comments Can I verify Virgin Territory for sports please?

message 15: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Tess wrote: "Can I verify Virgin Territory for sports please?"

MPG Sports noted. Happy Reading!

message 16: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 428 comments For Option 3, just want to make sure if Scotland is OK to use. I know that the UK and US are not acceptable for just a country so I just wanted to doublecheck because Scotland is a country of the UK. Thanks!

message 17: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1903 comments Hi, can you please verify sports? The Scandal

message 18: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Valerie wrote: "For Option 3, just want to make sure if Scotland is OK to use. I know that the UK and US are not acceptable for just a country so I just wanted to doublecheck because Scotland is a country of the U..."

Scotland is a country, just not an independent one, so it is okay to use it.

message 19: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Meg wrote: "Hi, can you please verify sports? The Scandal"

Noted.

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine | 778 comments Could you verify Beartown for MPG Sports? Thanks!

message 21: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Christine wrote: "Could you verify Beartown for MPG Sports? Thanks!"

Verified.

message 22: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2788 comments Option 3 - I know UK does not work but i have a book set in Glasgow so would Scotland work please

message 23: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "Option 3 - I know UK does not work but i have a book set in Glasgow so would Scotland work please"

Scotland is a country, just not an independent one, so it is okay to use it.

message 24: by Trish (last edited Jun 22, 2018 02:53AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2749 comments Just to double check. Are any of the Pern series okay for Option 2?

Specifically, I want to (re)read The White Dragon, which confuses things a bit as its part of a subset. So its book record lists it as Dragonriders of Pern #3.

However, if you look at the overarching "Pern" lists (which is where the "Dragonriders of Pern" link goes to), they list 24/25 primary works, of which The White Dragon is Book 5 in the published order (https://www.goodreads.com/series/5006...) and Book 21 in the chronological order (https://www.goodreads.com/series/4933...)

message 25: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Trish wrote: "Just to double check. Are any of the Pern series okay for Option 2?

Specifically, I want to (re)read The White Dragon, which confuses things a bit as its part of a subset. So its bo..."

The White Dragon has a link to the Pern (Chronological Order) Series in the metadata (under the edition language), so it is okay to use it.

message 26: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2749 comments Rina wrote: "Trish wrote: "Just to double check. Are any of the Pern series okay for Option 2?

Specifically, I want to (re)read The White Dragon, which confuses things a bit as its part of a sub..."

Thanks!

message 27: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16864 comments Mod
Please confirm Summerland and The Heritage: Black Athletes, a Divided America, and the Politics of Patriotism for main page genre sports.

Thanks!

message 28: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Sandy wrote: "Please confirm Summerland and The Heritage: Black Athletes, a Divided America, and the Politics of Patriotism for main page genre sports.

Thanks!"

Both noted. Happy reading!

message 29: by Whitnie (new)

Whitnie | 281 comments The Shannara books by Terry brooks have 29 books in the series or related to Shannara history. Is Running with the Demon okay for this series.

message 30: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Whitnie wrote: "The Shannara books by Terry brooks have 29 books in the series or related to Shannara history. Is Running with the Demon okay for this series."

Yes, it has a link to the Shannara (Chronological Order) Series in the metadata and this series has more than 21 primary books in it.

message 31: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 2030 comments For Option 3, does the setting need to be for 100% of the book?
Island of the Mad is 41% in England (not allowed) and 59% in Venice, Italy.
(I have someplace else to use this book if it doesn't work for this task.)

message 32: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Julia wrote: "For Option 3, does the setting need to be for 100% of the book?
Island of the Mad is 41% in England (not allowed) and 59% in Venice, Italy.
(I have someplace else to use this book..."

Yes, it has to be set entirely there.

message 33: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Could you verify Reality Check for Sports genre pleases? Thank you!

message 34: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Cait S wrote: "Could you verify Reality Check for Sports genre pleases? Thank you!"

Sure! Happy reading!

message 35: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2635 comments double checking: the location can be fictional? does it have to be a city, or is a town ok?
Posies and Poison - set in Sweetfern Harbor

message 36: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Cat wrote: "double checking: the location can be fictional? does it have to be a city, or is a town ok?
Posies and Poison - set in Sweetfern Harbor"

Yes, Sweetfern Harbor is fine.

message 37: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 721 comments Want to make sure that for option 3... the fictional city of Ibarra works in Stones for Ibarra?

message 38: by Ed (last edited Jul 24, 2018 08:55PM) (new)

Ed Lehman | 721 comments Also for Option 4 do any or all of these work?

John le Carré or Guy de Maupassant or Gabriel García Márquez

message 39: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Ed wrote: "Want to make sure that for option 3... the fictional city of Ibarra works in Stones for Ibarra?"

Yes, fictional cities work. Happy reading!

message 40: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Ed wrote: "Also for Option 4 do any or all of these work?

John le Carré or Guy de Maupassant or Gabriel García Márquez"

John le Carré's initials are JC, so he doesn't work.
Guy de Maupassant's initals are GM, so his initials will work (for Mario Götze)
Gabriel García Márquez also has initials GM