Historical Fictionistas discussion

The Green Phoenix: A Novel of Empress Xiaozhuang, the Woman Who Re-Made Asia
This topic is about The Green Phoenix
Group Read Discussions > June 2018 - The Green Phoenix - SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) | 598 comments Mod
The group read for June is The Green Phoenix: A Novel of the Woman Who Re-Made Asia, Empress Xiaozhuang.

With the fate of East Asia hanging in the balance, one Mongolian woman manipulated her lovers, sons and grandsons through war and upheaval to create an empire that lasted for 250 years. The Green Phoenix tells the story of the Empress Dowager Xiaozhuang, born a Mongolian princess who became a consort in the Manchu court and then the Qing Dynasty's first matriarch. Shelived through harrowing threats, endless political crises, personal heartaches and painful losses to lead a shaky Empire out of a dead end. The story is set against a turbulent canvas as the Chinese Ming Dynasty is replaced by the Qing. Xiaozhuang guides her husband, her lover, her son and her grandson - all emperors and supreme leaders of the Qing Empire - to success against the odds.

This is the spoiler thread. Spoilers may be posted and not marked.

message 2: by Alice (last edited Jun 09, 2018 11:13AM) (new) - added it

Alice Poon (alice_poon) In Chapter One, there is a mention of Bumbutai's wedding coronet, which is made of kingfisher feather inlays. I just wanted to share an image of one such headdress:

message 3: by Elissa (new)

Elissa Matthews | 38 comments oooohhh...

message 4: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) I have finished reading this very well researched book! Is anyone else reading it?

message 5: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Alice wrote: "In Chapter One, there is a mention of Bumbutai's wedding coronet, which is made of kingfisher feather inlays. I just wanted to share an image of one such headdress:

"

Beautiful !!

message 6: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jasmine | 1223 comments Mod
Ace wrote: "I have finished reading this very well researched book! Is anyone else reading it?"

I'm about 40% of the way through.

Harry Miller | 33 comments I finished it a few weeks back. The tension of political intrigue increases as one reads on. How will Bumbutai manage it?!

message 8: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jasmine | 1223 comments Mod
I finished it last night. The political intrigues were very interesting. It's always tense when someone underage comes to the throne and so it was interesting/unfortunate that this empire had two underage emperors in it's beginning stages.

message 9: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Jasmine wrote: "I finished it last night. The political intrigues were very interesting. It's always tense when someone underage comes to the throne and so it was interesting/unfortunate that this empire had two u..."

Child rulers are always at the hands of their 'trusted' elders and mentors. It must be hard for them to know when they are being manipulated or used by members of their own family, usually to the detriment of themselves or others that they love.

message 10: by Alice (new) - added it

Alice Poon (alice_poon) It's strange: I see on other group read discussion threads the ratings beside the commenters' names, but not on this thread!

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2227 comments Alice wrote: "It's strange: I see on other group read discussion threads the ratings beside the commenters' names, but not on this thread!"

I fixed this. The book wasn't added to the thread.

message 12: by Alice (new) - added it

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Thanks for this, Jackie! I appreciate it.

message 13: by Alice (new) - added it

Alice Poon (alice_poon) I'm sure Ace has rated it, but it doesn't show here. I just don't understand these glitches :(

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2227 comments Alice wrote: "I'm sure Ace has rated it, but it doesn't show here. I just don't understand these glitches :("

Ace did review it, but it's not the same version that is tagged in the thread so it doesn't show- https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

If you go to your book's page you can see all the ratings and reviews.

message 15: by Alice (last edited Jul 21, 2018 05:55PM) (new) - added it

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Thanks, Jackie. But I had gotten the impression from Goodreads that reviews and ratings appear in all editions of a book.