Obsessed with True Crime discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14159 comments IMDb linkage: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5175450/

I just spotted this in the video rental place. The only copy was out but the reviews on the box raved about it. Of course Liam Neeson always nails his roles and who wouldn't want to know more about Deep Throat, the man played by Hal Holbrook in ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN?

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 178 comments I never heard of that story

message 3: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1282 comments You've never heard of Watergate?

message 4: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 614 comments Christine wrote: "I never heard of that story"

Christine wrote: "I never heard of that story"

Fishface wrote: "IMDb linkage: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5175450/

I just spotted this in the video rental place. The only copy was out but the reviews on the box raved about it. Of course Liam Neeson always nai..."

Hello, Christine,
Can you clarify for me: you've never heard of "Mark Felt: the man who...", or "All the President's Men", or the story of Watergate?

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 178 comments I never heard of Watergate and I never heard of Mark Felt

message 6: by Fishface (last edited Jan 25, 2019 06:09AM) (new)

Fishface | 14159 comments Watergate was the biggest political scandal of the 20th century. Someone discovered a burglary in progress at the Waterfate Hotel in Washington, D.C. It proved to be a group of men hired by the president at the time -- Richard Nixon -- to steal the secret plans of the Democratic National Convention so he could win the next election. After ENDLESS investigations, Senate hearings, and the start of impeachment proceedings, Nixon stepped down from his office. Mark Felt, using the code name Deep Throat, was the guy who secretly met with two investigative journalists who broke the case in the newspapers before going on to write a book about it, All the President's Men, which was a runaway bestseller.

That's the seriously abbreviated version.

message 7: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 614 comments So, Christine,
They mentioned none of this stuff in any of your history classes?
Have you ever heard of Daniel Ellsburgh? Or the Pentagon Papers?

message 8: by Hari (last edited Jan 22, 2019 04:54PM) (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 614 comments Fishface, we actually have Woodward and Bernstein, those two investigative journalists, to thank for "All the President's Men". Mark Felt was indeed their source.

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 178 comments Hari maybe they did mention those people in my history class but I wasn’t really paying attention lol

message 10: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 614 comments That makes me feel better, Christine. I'd hate to think this very important (and topical) episode of American political history was no longer being taught.

message 11: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14159 comments Hari wrote: "Fishface, we actually have Woodward and Bernstein, those two investigative journalists, to thank for "All the President's Men". Mark Felt was indeed their source."

That's what I just said...?

message 12: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1282 comments It stuns me to think that there are people who've never heard of Watergate. Sorry, Christine, no offense, I'm sure it was your educational system. But we are surely doomed to repeat the past if we can't even remember a few years ago.

message 13: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14159 comments The lessons of Watergate have never been more important than they are right now.

message 14: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (savannahjan) | 62 comments We had to read All the President’s Men in 9th Grade civics. It was a good read.

message 15: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1282 comments Absolutely, FF. Absolutely. I also read All the President's Men, although it was in 6th grade as extra credit. But even if I hadn't, I consider it a major part of our political landscape and explanatory of many of the ways we do things and even refer to things ('gate-everything).

The frightening thing is that without Felt, we might very well never have known some of this stuff.

message 16: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 614 comments Fishface wrote: "The lessons of Watergate have never been more important than they are right now."

Amen, Fishface.

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 178 comments Aww i’m glad I made you feel better Hari lol