SQHS YLL discussion

The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jami (new)

Jami Wallace | 14 comments Jami Wallace
The Diary of Ann Frank – Anne Frank
Book Review

The Diary of Anne Frank is an autobiography, Anne receives a journal for her 12th birthday. The story is about a young girl named Anne and her family that moved to the Netherlands because they went into hiding from the Germans after they invaded Amsterdam where her and her family lived and seven others on their sides. They were hiding in The Secret Annex. On May 10, 1940 German troops invaded the Netherlands. Anti-Jewish regulations soon follow. Which Jews were not allowed in certain places and they had “rules.”
Anne had a sister named Margot, Margot was 14 and Anne was 12 when their family was invaded. With the rules and regulations going around, Anne and her sister had to go to Jewish school. Their father Otto Frank loses his job. Anne doesn’t quite understand why all of this is happening, why there are regulations, why Amsterdam is being invaded, why her father lost his job and why they have to go into hiding from the Germans.
On October 9th, 1942, Anne receives bad news that her Jewish friends are being taken away. They are being loaded into cattle trucks together and sent to Westerbrok. Men, women and children all must sleep together. It is impossible to escape the camp. Most people are branded and have their heads shaven.
Eventually Anne is about 14, she reflects on how much shes changed since she went into hiding. She sees herself as a completely different girl from when she was a “bit younger”. Now she wants friend, not admirers.
My favorite part of the story is that I can picture what happened back then in my mind. I also love reading books about history, I read this once before but never really got into it at the time. Now that I read it in high school, I enjoyed it a lot more and I would read it again.

message 2: by Des'Ree (new)

Des'Ree Henry | 16 comments This book seems really intense and intresting. Do you recommend this book?

message 3: by Andres (new)

Andres | 3 comments I read this book before and this a great book and recommend on reading this book. I like how you talked about it and got the point across great

message 4: by Ur (Maddie) (new)

Ur (Maddie) Mom (Miles) | 13 comments This book seems like one i would like to read. Is it difficult to read because of the English translation, or is it translated well?

message 5: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
Why do you think this book is so popular? The diary of a girl who was stuck inside the house for so long with the same people seems like it could be really repetitive, with not much for her to talk about. What makes it compelling?

message 6: by Jami (new)

Jami Wallace | 14 comments Des'Ree wrote: "This book seems really intense and intresting. Do you recommend this book?" Yes, i totally recommend this book if like to read about autobiographies and books about war.

message 7: by Jami (new)

Jami Wallace | 14 comments Ur (Maddie) wrote: "This book seems like one i would like to read. Is it difficult to read because of the English translation, or is it translated well?" The translation is not difficult to read, it's translated very well and i recommend it.

message 8: by Jami (new)

Jami Wallace | 14 comments Andres wrote: "I read this book before and this a great book and recommend on reading this book. I like how you talked about it and got the point across great"
Thank you, i really enjoyed this book and honestly would read it again