Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

The Song of Achilles
This topic is about The Song of Achilles
June 2018: The Song of Achilles > The Song of Achilles Discussion *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 918 comments Mod
Our pick for Pride Month is The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. Use this thread to discuss the novel. As always, expect spoilers for the full book. This is a stand-alone novel.
Greece in the age of heroes. Patroclus, an awkward young prince, has been exiled to the court of King Peleus and his perfect son Achilles. By all rights their paths should never cross, but Achilles takes the shamed prince as his friend, and as they grow into young men skilled in the arts of war and medicine their bond blossoms into something deeper - despite the displeasure of Achilles' mother Thetis, a cruel sea goddess. But then word comes that Helen of Sparta has been kidnapped. Torn between love and fear for his friend, Patroclus journeys with Achilles to Troy, little knowing that the years that follow will test everything they hold dear.

Profoundly moving and breathtakingly original, this rendering of the epic Trojan War is a dazzling feat of the imagination, a devastating love story, and an almighty battle between gods and kings, peace and glory, immortal fame and the human heart.

Malaraa | 335 comments This was really enjoyable. Being familiar with the story and how it goes overall led to moments where you just feel bad for them, because they don't realize they're heading toward tragedy. Or even if they get the warnings, they think they can change things. That never works out in Greek myth, but it's sweet to see them try.

Aimee About to start this soon...I did enjoy her latest "Circe"

TraceyL I loved Circe but could not get into this book. I wasn't interested in the characters.

Morwen | 43 comments I don't suppose for next Pride month we could pick a book where the queer characters don't die

message 6: by Alicia (last edited Jun 27, 2018 03:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alicia Sanasai wrote: "That never works out in Greek myth, but it's sweet to see them try.

..."

Yes! You see them rushing towards that (figurative) cliff...

Elif (angelus_mortis) | 8 comments I wonder how would it be for Achilles if there wasn't Patroclus. What kind of person would he be? I think, Patroclus is kind of his moral compass and humanity.

message 8: by Cristina (last edited Jul 05, 2018 08:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cristina Guarino (dreamwritten) I loved this story so much - so glad I tackled it as soon as I finished Circe! I'm surprised that so many people seem to like it less. Both were wonderful reads in my opinion, although Achilles' hubris did drive me absolutely crazy toward the end. Poor Patroclus definitely deserved someone a bit better, in my opinion, although of course that's not how the myths go.

I love Miller's ability to create flawed characters that the reader cares about, despite or even because of their flaws.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Song of Achilles (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Madeline Miller (other topics)