SQHS YLL discussion

A Loss for Words: The Story of Deafness in a Family
This topic is about A Loss for Words
A Loss for Words

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix Swendt | 5 comments This book is about a girl named Lou Ann Walker and her deaf family. It was written from a hearing person’s perspective and how she deals with her problems with her family. Lou Ann walker describes what it is like to live with her deaf family, she is the only hearing person in her family.

This book has shown me that being deaf is way more difficult then what I thought it originally was, and that it does affect you even if you are not deaf. Lou had faced many challenges not only at home but also at school. The fact that she wasn’t able to efficiently commentate with her family was already hard enough on her, but she was also teased at school for having deaf parents. People seemed to almost reject her and her family because they were deaf or “different”. She was also pressured into taking on adult responsibility, not in the way of paying bills but being the interpreter for her parents, she had to help them commentate with other people. At first the book wasn’t very interesting to me, it was a slow start but after reading more into the book I had became fascinated in how she handled this unique situation. If you have any interest in the deaf community I would suggest this read for you. It has showed me so much and I feel I have a better understanding of deaf people and what they go though in life and how they handle their situation.

message 2: by Hannah (last edited Jun 05, 2018 02:31PM) (new)

Hannah | 16 comments this sounds like a good book and I read this book before and it is a good book. what the whole story line for the girl.

message 3: by Des'Ree (new)

Des'Ree Henry | 16 comments This book sounds really good and intresting! And is it a movie too?

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy B | 10 comments This book sound like the author had hard time hearing. It not easy go around the world not hearing anything. it was sad to be a person deaf

message 5: by Andres (new)

Andres | 3 comments I read this book this year and i like how you reviewed it and i really enjoyed reading this book

message 6: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
Are in you ASL? Is that what inspired you to read it?