SQHS YLL discussion

The Help
This topic is about The Help
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy B | 10 comments This book is a historical fiction about life in the south in 1960’s during segregation. The main characters are Maybelline, a little white girl who is cared for by Aibileen, a black nanny who works in the home. Maybelline doesn’t have a good relationship with her biological mother, but sees Aibileen as a mother figure. Maybelline’s mother is very discriminatory to her nanny, treating her a second-class citizen and giving her “can do” and “can’t do” lists. This bothers Maybelline because she’s aware of what’s going on, know it isn’t right, but doesn’t understand why it’s happening.
I enjoyed this book.
What I liked best about it is how it tells readers about a time in U.S. history and you feel like you are part of the story, experiencing the discrimination along with the characters. Also, I like how the author told the truth about her life in the story.
I also liked the style of the book . It is written in first person which makes the story more personal.
I saw the movie before reading the book, and thus influenced me because even though I enjoyed the movie, the book was more detailed.
This book is for readers who like to read historical fiction because it describes a large part of the American experience.

message 2: by Bella (new)

Bella | 15 comments I have wanted to read this book for a while but I have never got around to it. Do you think that this book focuses more on the emotions of how discrimination made Aibileen feel or is it more focused on the history of racism as a whole?

message 3: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Cucksey | 12 comments This sounds like a very intense book. Do you think watching the movie before reading it helped you understand or spoiled the story? Which did you enjoy more, the book or the movie?

message 4: by Asia (new)

Asia Verbrugge | 15 comments I really liked how you added what types of readers would enjoy this story! I've seen the movie but never read the book, what was the most heartbreaking scene during the story?

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy B | 10 comments Amy wrote: "This book is a historical fiction about life in the south in 1960’s during segregation. The main characters are Maybelline, a little white girl who is cared for by Aibileen, a black nanny who works..." Great question. Is force on Aileen feel about discrimination.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy B | 10 comments Bella wrote: "I have wanted to read this book for a while but I have never got around to it. Do you think that this book focuses more on the emotions of how discrimination made Aibileen feel or is it more focuse..."
It spoil what would happen next but it went deep in the book than the movie

message 7: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix Swendt | 5 comments Sounds like a very good book, would definitely like to read it to help myself understand what it was like for people during this period in time