SQHS YLL discussion

Little Fires Everywhere

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jordan (last edited Jun 01, 2018 02:44PM) (new)

Jordan Cucksey | 12 comments Little Fires Everywhere
Little Fires Everywhere – Celeste Ng
Reviewed by Jordan Cucksey
This book is a sweet fictional story of the Richardson’s and the Warren’s, two very opposite families who challenge and complete each other in the most beneficial ways. The large Richardson family includes Mrs. Richardson and Mr. Richardson and their four children Izzy, Moody, Trip and Lexie. They are the picture-perfect family of Shaker Heights where everything is seamless from the placement of one oak tree in each front yard to the planning of each students walk to school, making sure no pupil must cross a busy road. The Warren family is anything but similar, it consists of Mia, a single mom and Pearl, her funky daughter. The duo is always on the road for Mia’s artwork as she is inspired by travel and new experiences. This lands them in the town of Shaker Heights in a little rental home owned and located by the Richardson’s. These families depend on each other as they travel through realistic life twists and form permanent bonds.

I found this as a very enjoying read, Celeste Ng created very interesting and diverse characters which I gradually became more and more attached to as they went through life challenges. The interactions between the very organized family and the artsy go with the flow duo was amusing to read about and perfectly captured the idea of opposites attract. I appreciated how the conflicts of the book were less extreme than other fictional stories and instead were very probable and easy to relate to. The setting also was convincing yet still intriguing as it was a dystopian society that was not too far off what towns are like today. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend this book for someone who wants a gripping thriller but certainly for somebody looking for a sweet meaningful read.

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Rodriguez | 7 comments You did a really good job describing this book. It does sound like a nice, realistic "slice of life". Did you find it hard to get through because it was slower or do you think that it holds the reader's attention?

message 3: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Cucksey | 12 comments Nancy wrote: "You did a really good job describing this book. It does sound like a nice, realistic "slice of life". Did you find it hard to get through because it was slower or do you think that it holds the rea..."

I found it slow is some parts but overall it held my attention pretty well. I also finished a very intense book, The Girl on the Train, right before reading this one which in comparison could be why I thought is was slightly slower.

message 4: by Erika (new)

Erika Thorsen | 47 comments Mod
How do two such different families end up being so close? Is there any central conflict in the book? Is the time period modern-day and does that affect the story in any way?

message 5: by Braedon (new)

Braedon Benson | 7 comments I wouldn't actually mind reading this book, especially for just a break in the series i'm reading. However just a clarifying question, the two families meet because the Warren family is renting a home owned by the Richardson family?

message 6: by Asia (new)

Asia Verbrugge | 15 comments I really enjoy books where two unlikely groups or individuals begin to bond with each other and learn about one another. Did you feel that the two families changed each other in any way, or did they kind of just end up accepting one another completely? Good description and feels like a story that would leave a reader with a good feeling by the end.

message 7: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Cucksey | 12 comments Erika wrote: "How do two such different families end up being so close? Is there any central conflict in the book? Is the time period modern-day and does that affect the story in any way?"

The families start to get close when Pearl and Moody start to form a friendship at school which ends up with Pearl practically living at the Richardson house and merging them and the Warren's together. The central conflict is about a town custody controversy which brings up all kinds of additional side conflicts. The time period is modern - day which I think affected the story in the way that the conflicts mirrored controversial problems in todays society.

message 8: by Caley (new)

Caley Whitner | 11 comments how do the two families get to know each other personally if they only rent from the Richardson's? I feel like this book would be super fun and interesting to read!

message 9: by Ur (Maddie) (new)

Ur (Maddie) Mom (Miles) | 13 comments You seemed like you liked this book. How was the character development in it? Did anyone in the book change their beliefs or values?

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy B | 10 comments This book has great characters details and great plot. Every one has hard time in their family