Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

No Other Will Do (Ladies of Harper’s Station, #1)
This topic is about No Other Will Do
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Group Reads - 2018 > June's Book of the Month - No Other Will Do by Karen Witemeyer

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - added it

Beth (bbulow) | 2335 comments Mod
June's Group Read is No Other Will Do by Karen Witemeyer.

GR Summary:
Men are optional. That's the credo Emma Chandler's suffragette aunts preached and why she started a successful women's colony in Harper's Station, Texas. But when an unknown assailant tries repeatedly to drive them out, Emma admits they might need a man after all. A man who can fight--and she knows just the one.

Malachi Shaw finally earned the respect he craved by becoming an explosives expert for the railroad. Yet when Emma's plea arrives, he bolts to Harper's Station to repay the girl who once saved his life. Only she's not a girl any longer. She's a woman with a mind of her own and a smile that makes a man imagine a future he doesn't deserve.

As the danger intensifies, old feelings grow and deepen, but Emma and Mal will need more than love to survive.

Chime in below if you think you'll join in!

message 2: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loraine (librarydiva) | 3215 comments Mod
I'll be leading this one. I'm still waiting on my book to come in at the library.

Kate (liahonagirl) | 563 comments This one is next on my TBR pile.

Charlene | 352 comments I’ve read this one and really enjoyed it! I will join in on the discussion :)

message 5: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - added it

Beth (bbulow) | 2335 comments Mod
Loraine wrote: "I'll be leading this one. I'm still waiting on my book to come in at the library."

Sorry, Loraine! Got my Witemeyer's confused. That's what I get for trying to do updates while sick, lol.

Lila Diller | 225 comments I actually found this one at the library, so I will be joining in! I also found A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer & To Win Her Heart by Karen Witemeyer for the autho of the month. :) This will be a new author to me, so I'm excited!

message 7: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (last edited Jun 03, 2018 10:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 2761 comments Mod
I read this one last month, so I'll try to recall enough to chime in on the discussion.

message 8: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth wrote: "Loraine wrote: "I'll be leading this one. I'm still waiting on my book to come in at the library."

Sorry, Loraine! Got my Witemeyer's confused. That's what I get for trying to do updates while sic..."

No problem. Feel better soon!

Sarita | 1378 comments Currently reading this and it is so enjoyable!

message 10: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished it this morning and absolutely loved it. The touches of humor amidst all the suspense and drama are delightful. Hope to dive into the next book shortly.

message 11: by Lila (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lila Diller | 225 comments I'm on Chapter 12, page 118. I love how unique the characters are! I hope to read more tonight.

message 12: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

They certainly are a unique group. Each one lovable in their own way!

message 13: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

For sure! Does anyone have a favorite character?

message 14: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Jun 05, 2018 12:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Too many I liked to pick a favorite LOL:) Did you have a favorite Andrea?

message 15: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I did. I really liked Tori. I was hoping the whole time that she would get her own story, and I think (view spoiler). I'm hoping to fit that book in this month.

message 16: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

But, like you, I enjoyed many of the characters. The aunts were hoots, for sure.

message 17: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just picked up Worth the Wait so will be reading it soon. It's on sale today on Amazon for $1.40.

message 18: by Lila (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lila Diller | 225 comments I guess Emma is my favorite, but I love the depth of Malachi's. And Aunt Henry is hilarious!

message 19: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I already have a copy of Worth the Wait, which I think I got for free sometime. And I have book two for review and I found a paperback copy for a couple of bucks at Mardel last weekend.

message 20: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lila wrote: "I guess Emma is my favorite, but I love the depth of Malachi's. And Aunt Henry is hilarious!"

I agree Aunt Henry is a hoot! So is Betty the chicken lady.

message 21: by Lila (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lila Diller | 225 comments I haven't seen Betty the chicken lady yet.

message 22: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

The chicken lady! She was one of my favorites too. :)

Charlene | 352 comments I also loved all the charters but Aunt Henry probably was my favourite. I could really picture how she would look and carry herself LOL

But yes I also liked tori was definitely rooting for her :)

message 24: by Lila (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lila Diller | 225 comments It's so funny--the very next chapter I started introduced Betty the chicken lady! :D She's interesting, all right. ;)

message 25: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Glad you met her Lila. I thought she was hilarious.

message 26: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree. She had me cracking up so much!

Sarita | 1378 comments Just finished this. What a great read. There was so many characters I adored. The aunts, Betty. Even Lewis. I really liked Malachi. Think apart from Peter from Waiting for Summer's Return (Heart of the Prairie #1) by Kim Vogel Sawyer he is my favourite male lead this year.

message 28: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate (liahonagirl) | 563 comments Oh, this one was so much FUN! I can't wait for the middle-of-the-month discussion to start!

message 29: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

It will be here before we know it Kate!

message 30: by Lila (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lila Diller | 225 comments Kate, I agree. This one was a lot of fun! I gave it 5 stars, and I will be fully reviewing it on my blog on Tuesday. Can't wait for the discussion!

message 31: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sorry that I am behind getting discussion questions up. I had a busy day Friday and was ill yesterday. Please feel free to answer any or all of the questions. If you have something you would like to bring up for discussion, that's fine too.

1. What were your thoughts regarding a town populated only by women?

2. Was Emma a good fit for the leader of Harper’s Station? Why or why not.?

3. What was your favorite “laugh out loud” moment and why?

4. Why do you think Malachi didn’t feel he deserved a relationship with Emma?

5. Witemeyer is known for combining romance, humor, and mystery into one story. Did she do a good job or was there one aspect that was stronger than another?

6. What were your feelings about Witemeyer’s spiritual content in the story?

7. Which character do you hope is featured in the next book and why? (If you haven’t already read the next book!)

message 32: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loraine, I hope you're feeling better now!

1. I really liked it. I found it quirky and fun, and as I figured, it ended up being an invitation for trou-ble!

3. There were too many to name, really. Anything with Betty the chicken lady was hilarious.

4. Aw! Mal just about broke my heart. I felt that he thought he could never measure up to the first impression of her that he had: an angel. But with God's grace, both Mal and Emma were able to discover their weaknesses could be turned into strengths, and they could work together well, learning to love each other well along the way.

7. I was really hoping Tori would get space to explore her own story, and I was happy to find out that she does in the next installment, a novella. I haven't read it yet, but I'm attempting to get to it before the month is out.

Thanks for the fun questions, Loraine! Feel well soon.

message 33: by Lila (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lila Diller | 225 comments 1. What were your thoughts regarding a town populated only by women?

I didn't think it was really a good idea. I mean, obviously, all these women had been hurt by men. But they ended up still needing several men to protect them. And to love individuals.

Yes, because she was organized, a good leader, and passionate for the cause while still compassionate for the individuals.

Like Andrea, there were too many to mention! I already turned my book into the library, but I wrote in my review that the end of almost every chapter had me laughing out loud. :D

5. Witemeyer is known for combining romance, humor, and mystery into one story. Did she do a good job or was there one aspect that was stronger than another?

I really enjoyed the balance! I love romance, though, so I don't know if I would have considered the romance stronger than the others even if it was. ;) I loved the added humor and the intrigue of who could the traitor be?

I really enjoyed the way that their relationships with the Lord were very integral to their everyday lives. My only quibble with this wonderful book was that I didn't agree with this statement doctrinally: "...and she mouthed a prayer for the departed woman's soul" (p.82). Once a soul is departed, there is nothing that can change its destination, nothing for a prayer to sway the heart of God to do. Maybe it should say something like, "She sent another prayer of thanksgiving for her time with Mrs. Ashmont."

I was very happy with the book. It kept my attention the entire way. Very well-written and entertaining, while expounding on the tension between enjoying beauty and avoiding vanity. Very well-done.

message 34: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lila, that's a great point about that prayer. It bugged me when I read it too, though it was such a small line, I forgot about it by the time I reached the end of the book (since I didn't make a note about it in my notebook).

message 35: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

I forgot about that line too and totally agree with your point Lila. I hope she meant perhaps that she was praying for the woman's soul because she knew the awful destiny it faced.

message 36: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate (liahonagirl) | 563 comments 1. What were your thoughts regarding a town populated only by women?
I thought it was a very intriguing idea, especially since it catered to women who had been abused, like a grander scale of a women's shelter like we have now.
Definitely! She thought she needed to have all the answers to lead, but she only needed to be willing to listen and point the others towards what God (and other godly people) were advising her to do.
There were so many, but I think my favourite one came at the end of the prologue: The aunts said I can keep you!
4. Why do you think Malachi didn’t feel he deserved a relationship with Emma?
Oh, Mal! Even though I'm quite confident that Emma and the aunts tried to explain to him that his worth was found in Christ, I'm not sure he entirely believed it. He was seeking the praise of the world, especially in his employment, so he could prove that he was worth something. I think, especially since his first impression of Emma was that she was an angel, Mal thought there was absolutely no way he'd ever be worthy of someone like her.
I think all the aspects played very well together. I don't feel like one overshadowed any other.
I thought Mal's coming to understand and appreciate his true worth in Christ was spot-on. Especially in this age of social media and the cancer of comparison, we need to be *so* careful that we're remembering Whose we are, and taking our worth as children of God, rather than looking to any other source.
7. Which character do you hope is featured in the next book and why? (If you haven’t already read the next book!)
When I was reading, I kept hoping that Tori would have her own story told. But, really, I found myself wanting to know more about ALL of the ladies of Harper's Station!

message 37: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate, I burst out laughing when Emma said that! Karen surely does have a humorous touch.

message 38: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

I laughed at this one too as it sounded like she had a new pet!

message 39: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes! That was delightful.

Carolyn | 218 comments such a great book, and my first reading with this author; and won't be my last I will continue with series.
1. What were your thoughts regarding a town populated only by women? I loved the theme of a womens colony, so unique and interesting to see how these women could make it on their own.
2. Was Emma a good fit for the leader of Harper’s Station? Why or why not.? of course she was, so compassionate, number one; yet indeependent, strong and thought things through before decided on action.
3. What was your favorite “laugh out loud” moment and why. I don't remember the speciific incident; but really liked the elderly aunts that raised Emma; Henrietta (wonder why they called her Henry, was it the tom boy or maybe they needed a male name mentioned in the group of colony) and aunt Bertie were tough and independent also.
4. Why do you think Malachi didn’t feel he deserved a relationship with Emma I think his background, raised by a drunk, not enough formal deducation compared to a banker, may have left him feeling less then admirable to her.
5. Witemeyer is known for combining romance, humor, and mystery into one story. Did she do a good job or was there one aspect that was stronger than another? suspense was a strong quality in this book; romance was more laid back and humor was a given quality also.
6. What were your feelings about Witemeyer’s spiritual content in the story? the book showed Mal as being raised by an unfit father; so it proved that Gods' children can make it aside from that and that we have a heavenly father that is wi th us; and watches out for us; beside guiding us.
7. Which character do you hope is featured in the next book and why? I would find it interesting to see if Tori turns her life around now that abusive spouse is no longer in the way.

Sarita | 1378 comments 1. What were your thoughts regarding a town populated only by women? I loved the idea of a safe haven for women

2. Was Emma a good fit for the leader of Harper’s Station? Why or why not.? Yes, she was caring and compassionate. She knew women needed a safe place, but also realised when she was over her head and required the help of a man.

3. What was your favorite “laugh out loud” moment and why? There was a few, but the one was the beginning when Emma declared she can keep Malachi, and one at the end when aunt Bertie got all excited about the explosion.

4. Why do you think Malachi didn’t feel he deserved a relationship with Emma? I agree with the comments that the reason was that he saw Emma as his angel. I think his background and circumstances, made him feel like he is best suited for the mining lifestyle. But I think mostly it was more that he believed in Emma's ministry with the women only town and because he believed that is what she was called for, he did not see how he could fit in that life.

5. Witemeyer is known for combining romance, humor, and mystery into one story. Did she do a good job or was there one aspect that was stronger than another? I think there was a great balance, however, the suspense felt slightly stronger. What I loved about the romance was that though Emma and Malachi was at first unsure of the other's feelings towards them, they were honest when it mattered and didn't play games with each other.

6. What were your feelings about Witemeyer’s spiritual content in the story? I loved the spiritual message. Both Malachi and Emma had to truly find their identity in Christ before they could even pursue a future together. And like Malachi, I think a lot of us settle for less, because we are not aware of who we are in Christ and what we deserve, so instead of rising and only accepting the best for our lives, we sometimes do not live in abundance because we let our uncertainties get the better of us.

7. Which character do you hope is featured in the next book and why? (If you haven’t already read the next book!) I can't remember her name, but the lady who lived with the crazy chicken lady - not the one who flirted with Malachi, but the one who seemed really afraid of Malachi and who helped Emma with the snake. There seems to be a sad story there.

message 42: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lovely thoughts, y'all!

message 43: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have thoroughly enjoyed all the responses to the discussion questions this time.

message 44: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

They have been such fun to read. Thanks for the great questions, Loraine!

message 45: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

You're welcome. This is my first time making up my own questions as there were no discussion questions at the end. Seems like they were a hit.

message 46: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

You did a smashing job!

message 47: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thank you Andrea!

message 48: by Lila (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lila Diller | 225 comments Yes, great job, Loraine!

message 49: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks Lila!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.