The Bibliophiles discussion

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)
This topic is about Children of Blood and Bone
Book of the Month > June BOTM: Children of Blood and Bone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Lisa (lml369_07) | 1048 comments Mod
Hello all! We have our winner for the June BOTM! Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi has been a book that I have been wanting to get my hands on for a while now! Luckily my library had an available copy and I snatched it up! For those of you who will be participating in this read, have read this book, or just want to share your opinion on it, please do so below! Can't wait to see what everyone thinks!

Sophie (sophie_reads112) I read this book in May and it is absolutely amazing! I can’t wait to hear what everyone’s thoughts are! I honestly believe this is one of the top books of the year 🤗

Whitney (wbandel) I just got a kindle copy too. Wait list at the library was 30+ people. Seems like a good indication of how popular it is. Can’t wait.

Awesome!! Now that you guys are saying that, I realize I was super lucky to get a library copy! I'm about 2 chapters in now and I'm already really enjoying it!

message 5: by Coia (new) - added it

Coia Preston | 4 comments I got the book from the library yesterday. It’s quite popular in the area. I had to get it sent from a different library, saving me an hours drive.

Bonnie Just came in for me at the library, so perfect timing to pick it up today.

Rachel (stillchasethewind) | 13 comments My library didn't have it believe it or not?! I ended up having to buy it. What a beautiful map on the inside of the cover!!

So random question, does anyone subscribe to those monthly boxes with the prettier alternate covers to popular books? Worth it?

Cameron Godfrey I am also reading this for my local book club for June, and I cannot wait to see what everyone has to say about it. So far, I have heard raving reviews.

Glenda | 5 comments I am looking forward to reading this book....if I can find a copy, lol!! My library has 33 holds on it (figuring 2-3 week checkout time, with a few people who drop holds, I would still be looking at a year before I got it!!). I'm hoping my favorite independent bookstore has it in stock when I go into town this week, otherwise I'll be doing some online shopping!

message 10: by Jane (new) - added it

Jane Branford | 5 comments Maybe this is a newbie question... but why is the book description in Russian on Goodreads?

message 11: by Krystyna (new) - added it

Krystyna (adoseofcozy) | 1 comments I snagged a copy of this from my library.

Bonnie A few chapter in and I am really enjoying it. I find the main characters well rounded (not too good, brave, honest, strong, skilled) with lots of room to grow. I like the traditional fantasy storyline with the unique African mythology elements.

message 13: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather I'm waiting on the library list too.

Simone (simoontje) | 2 comments I usually do not read YA very often so I would not have picked it up normally. However I really did enjoy it. The magic in the world was beautiful!

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Simone wrote: "I usually do not read YA very often so I would not have picked it up normally. However I really did enjoy it. The magic in the world was beautiful!"

I'm usually not a big YA person either. This is not a blanket statement, but most of the YA I have read over the past few years have all sounded almost exactly the same and have been so predictable that I could tell you exactly what was going to happen after reading the first 5 pages. I am definitely enjoying this book. While I will say that this book is a bit predictable like most YA, I am also enjoying reading it. The descriptions of the magic is unique and very beautiful and I do like the characters very much. What it all really boils down to for me is that, if I can read it and like it, even if I can tell you what's going to happen, then I will enjoy it!

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) You should read Artemis Fowl for a non-predictable YA.

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite wrote: "You should read Artemis Fowl for a non-predictable YA."
You know, that's probably the third time I've been told this. I guess it's time I check it out! Lol!

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) It and Septemus Heap are both amazing and original series.

message 19: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thank you for the recommendations Naomi!

Can't wait to see what you think about it Erin!

Rachel (stillchasethewind) | 13 comments I am also loving Children of Blood and Bone so far. It is such a rich world being built. I just wish I had more time to read it :(

message 21: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel wrote: "I am also loving Children of Blood and Bone so far. It is such a rich world being built. I just wish I had more time to read it :("

'I wish I had more time to read' could be the title of the book about my life.

Steve Maxwell (goodreadscomstevem) Got a copy from my local library, can't wait to read it.

message 23: by Wayne (new)

Wayne Oldroyd | 16 comments Just started but had to put down before I got addicted and couldn't put down.

Emily (RecordofaBibliophile) (recordofabibliophile) I just bought a copy! hopefully I can start and finish it before the end of the month!

message 25: by Naomi-Lynn Marguerite (last edited Jun 11, 2018 11:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) Finished Children of Blood and Bone. I'll let you read my review if you want to know more about how I felt. I enjoyed the book.

zubair | 2 comments I didn’t like much.

message 27: by E.Y. (new) - added it

E.Y. Laster | 1 comments I just started reading this, but I'm excited to dive in!

Whitney (wbandel) I’ve been enjoying this read well enough. I’m about half way through. I wish this book had been written in third person. The POV changes every three pages makes me feel like I’m being tossed around. Third person would have felt more consistent and allowed for the action to follow multiple main characters in one scene. Seems to be a pitfall of the YA genre.

Kayla Duff I was able to pick up a copy of this book at a library conference, and I absolutely loved it! The author was super awesome and answered a lot of questions in a panel. I was so torn when I was reading it - I got so frustrated with or worried for the characters on multiple occasions.

I actually really enjoyed seeing all the different points of view, especially those conflicting ones with Zelie, Amari, and then Inan. I LOVED seeing Inan's inner thoughts on magic, and then switching back to Zelie and her totally different perspective. I read a lot of YA though, so I am used to POV switches.

One thing I also really loved was the African and African-esque worldbuilding. Tomi said a lot of the places are named after real African cities, even though it's a fictional kingdom, and I love the mythology as well. I'm sooooooo ready to welcome some more non-white cultures into popular YA.

Emily (RecordofaBibliophile) (recordofabibliophile) I've finally finished the books I was reading and now I am going to devote my attention to Children of Blood and Bone! super excited!!

Whitney (wbandel) Finished this last night. The more I let my thoughts linger, the more I find this book to be mediocre. I think the second half really drops off and ruins a few of the characters for me. Overall this seems like a rather typical post-Hunger Games rushed YA novel.

The themes and premise are exciting (and something I'd like to see more of in fantasy), but they all go to the way side for a stereotypical YA ending. I don't know that I'm looking forward to the sequel anymore. I hope it goes well, the author seems to have a lot of raw potential.

I wrote a review if anyone is interested, I don't want to spoil anything here and am trying to keep it to general broad feelings. For specifics: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Dustin | 154 comments Oh, man! Seeing everyone 's outpouring of very positive comments is really assuring, which is a good thing, too, because like Lisa, my library also had a copy for check-out. I am soo excited and cannot wait to get started....possibly today!😲

I wasn't even looking for this book, either, when I went yesterday! How cool is that!?

message 33: by Bahsun (new)

Bahsun | 1 comments I just got the book and I'm so excited to get started as soon as I'm finished with the book I'm currently reading!

Steve Maxwell (goodreadscomstevem) Only about 30 pages to go and I'm loving it. I'm finding it exciting and hard to put down, which I personally find interesting for a YA novel. 4 stars

message 35: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well I finished the book last night and, while I enjoyed it, I did have my usual YA gripes. First and foremost, YA is almost always so stinking predictable and this one was no different. As soon as the 4 main characters were introduced, I could tell you exactly who was going to fall in love with who, what their story arcs would be including (view spoiler), and how this part of the series will end. To me, it's like 98% of YA writers use this basic template to write all of their books and then just change up the names and settings. This is the reason I really don't read a lot of YA at all.

Now all that being said, as predictable as it was, I did enjoy the read. The author created some beautiful characters and built a beautiful world of magic with lovely descriptions of the powers the characters held. I liked the language she created both in regards to the incantations and the names for animals and places in the book. It also carried a very strong and topical message about equal rights and how many families are ripped apart by hate. If you enjoy YA I would definitely recommend it.

message 36: by mara0b (new) - added it

mara0b | 14 comments The book finally arrived in the mail today! Can't wait to start reading it! :)

Rachel (stillchasethewind) | 13 comments I'm not going to lie, while it is a beautiful world the author has created, I am having a hard time getting through this book. :( I am at a particularly teenage-y part at the moment.

Rachel (stillchasethewind) | 13 comments Lisa wrote: "Well I finished the book last night and, while I enjoyed it, I did have my usual YA gripes. First and foremost, YA is almost always so stinking predictable and this one was no different. As soon as..."

I could not agree more. I have been surprised by a few YA books this year especially All the Bright Places.

message 39: by HL (new) - rated it 4 stars

HL | 8 comments I'm so excited to read this book! Ahhh starting it tonight!

Emily (RecordofaBibliophile) (recordofabibliophile) I'm almost through it also and I understand what you mean Lisa.. it is fairly predictable and you can definitely guess where the love interests were going before they even started. I do like that it's a little different to what YA is usually about. I've never read of someone saving magic which is lovely and I like that I can definitely picture the desert and the forest and the different places they visit...

message 41: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree Rachel and Record. It's very beautifully written YA but it's still YA lol.

message 42: by HL (new) - rated it 4 stars

HL | 8 comments For me this book was really hard to get into. It took me forever to get into the story and keep reading. Maybe that was because I had so many other books I was excited about on my tbr

Jackelyn (wildrose2005) | 4 comments Nell (LettersToNell on insta) wrote: "For me this book was really hard to get into. It took me forever to get into the story and keep reading. Maybe that was because I had so many other books I was excited about on my tbr"

I am also having a hard time getting into this book.

message 44: by Raghav (new)

Raghav (logophile1618) | 31 comments What's this book about? Sounds like fantasy, right?

Jackelyn (wildrose2005) | 4 comments Ok. It took until about halfway through, but now I'm hooked.

Emily (RecordofaBibliophile) (recordofabibliophile) I finished Children of Blood and Bone right before the end of the month! I still agree that it is predictable and has obvious love interests, etc.. But I really enjoyed the ending, I didn't see a couple of things coming, like when Zelie completes the ritual and what occurs after it, and I wasn't sure about which way Inan was going. I did really enjoy the characters though, they had depth and were interesting to read about, each battling their own demons. Overall I really enjoyed it and the ending left me wanting more. I'll definitely be reading the rest of the trilogy once they are published!

message 47: by Raghav (new)

Raghav (logophile1618) | 31 comments Sounds like a nice book to me, Emily

message 48: by Raghav (new)

Raghav (logophile1618) | 31 comments Thanks Abii

message 49: by HL (new) - rated it 4 stars

HL | 8 comments I kinda hate Inan but also at the end I was like PLEASE DO NOT DIE... Does anyone else feel the same way? Also, while I was reading this book I kept thinking to myself, how are these characters any different from any other ya fantasy novel?

Glenda | 5 comments I agree with many others about the predictability and somewhat standardized YA format for some of the book, but there was enough originality to keep me going and to enjoy it overall.

« previous 1