What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/mystery/thriller about girl who is severely ill. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Ashwell | 2 comments spoilers throughout

fictional story about a severely ill girl who has moved to a new town and a 'monster' visits her at night causing her illness to worsen and for her to also self harm. Its revealed that the monster is the mother and she pretended her daughter was ill to doctors and all the treatments the daughter had caused the daughter to be entirely dependent on the mother. i remember a particularly scene where the mother pretended the daughter had cancer (i think by shaving her head and telling everyone she knew) and the mother also forced the daughter to be in a wheelchair when she did not need one.
i read this in about 2015/6 and i believe its fairly new. the cover was silver and black. Any help would be appreciated

message 2: by Peroikos (new)

Peroikos | 5 comments Does this link help? It's books people have shelved as "muchausen by proxy" which is the psychological condition of the mother you describe.

https://www.goodreads.com/genres/munc...

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Ashwell | 2 comments unfortunately it’s not there but thank you!

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I don’t know if it’s also a book, but this was an actual thing that happened. It was in the news and I don’t know if it ever did, but it was planned to have a show called “Mommy Dead and Dearest.”

message 5: by Spockles (new)

Spockles | 199 comments Unbeautiful by Jessica Sorensen? Haven't read it, but I peeked the first chapter years ago, and if I remember right, the heroine's parents keep her drugged and locked in her room.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40648 comments Mod
Nicole, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Unbeautiful (other topics)