The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Important Items > the poll is now open: July 2018 Group Reads: True Crime

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9320 comments Mod
It's that time once again, my friends. Continuing on with exploring different subgenres in Mystery, Crime, and Thrillers, July's reads will focus on books that examine real crimes. These can be crimes from the past or present, your choice, as long as they are not fiction.

As always, please follow the simple rules below when making your nominations.

1. do NOT nominate your own book
2. do NOT have your publicist nominate your book
3. if you nominate the winning book, you are the moderator for the discussion. If you don't want to lead the discussion, don't nominate a book.

Beyond that, have fun -- there should be no problem coming up with titles this time around!

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill I've not read anything by him but I bought this on a chance awhile ago....

Order of Assassins: The Psychology of Murder by Colin Wilson.

message 4: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I have to give this one some thought: There are several, but I'll wait for other nominatins.

message 5: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

message 6: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments That has me intriqued, Nancy.

message 7: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "That has me intriqued, Nancy."

Me too, which is why I'd like to read it.

message 8: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I may try to order that.

message 9: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments I'm reading Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote which prompts me to nominate In Cold Blood. I read it when it first came out - seeing the date I wasn't even 20!! A trend-setter for non-fiction true crime narrative.

message 10: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Suzy wrote: "I'm reading Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote which prompts me to nominate In Cold Blood. I read it when it first came out - seeing the date I wasn't even 20!! A trend-setter..."

great choice, Suzy!

message 11: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Nancy wrote: "I'm going to nominate Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI, by David Grann."

This has also been on my tbr for far too long - would love the read/discuss this one.

message 12: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Suzy wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I'm going to nominate Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI, by David Grann."

This has also been on my tbr for far too long - would l..."

I was so intrigued by this book that I added Killers of the Flower Moon to my real-world book group's lineup.

message 13: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Nancy wrote: "I'm going to nominate Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI, by David Grann."

I just finished reading James Comey's Higher Loyalty (which I found very interesting) so I saw this book on Amazon as an inspired by other books, and bought. I need to ready an "easy" read first then I will go onto Killers of the Flower Moon. I suspect it will be a "heavier" read.

message 14: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Nancy wrote: "I'm going to nominate Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI, by David Grann."

Thanks Nancy! I started it already, but had to put it on hold to get the Great American Read group set up.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 581 comments Nancy wrote: "I'm going to nominate Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI, by David Grann."

Second that. In fact, I'm reading it right now.

message 16: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria I'll second In Cold Blood!

message 17: by Jamie (new)

message 18: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 05, 2018 09:52AM) (new)

message 19: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 06, 2018 03:59AM) (new)

message 21: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

message 22: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Bill wrote: "I've not read anything by him but I bought this on a chance awhile ago....

Order of Assassins: The Psychology of Murder by Colin Wilson."

I couldn't find an English description of this book. Might it have a different title in this market?

message 23: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Gretchen wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I'm going to nominate Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI, by David Grann."

I just finished reading James Comey's Higher Loyalty (w..."

I might find the Comey book to be the heavier book, but that's because anything I read about our current political leadership raises my blood pressure too much.

message 24: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

NancyJ wrote: "Bill wrote: "I've not read anything by him but I bought this on a chance awhile ago....

Order of Assassins: The Psychology of Murder by Colin Wilson."

I couldn't fi..."

Here's a good description (you have to scroll a wee bit):

https://books.google.com/books?id=onB...

message 25: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I think I'll let nominations go another two days (until the 8th) to make it a full week; the poll will go up on the 10th.

message 26: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thanks, Nancy!

message 27: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Okay -- the poll goes up tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

message 28: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments :)

message 29: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

The poll is now open. You can reach it via the polls link at the top right corner of the group's page, or you can click here

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

message 30: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Nancy wrote: "I'm going to nominate Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI, by David Grann."

Yes please

message 31: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 182 comments oh Gretchen, I am laughing at myself. You said Yes please. I assumed it was a book nomination for this bookYes Please
t
I had to go to the book description. I could not for the life of me figure out what Amy Pohler and true crime had in common.

FYI I am with you on Killers of the Flower Moon. I have heard good things/

message 32: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1483 comments Killers of the Flower Moon is a great read. I just finished it.

message 33: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

and the winners are (drumroll please)..............

Killers of the Flower Moon, by David Grann and
In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote

Threads will go up right around the 30th so we can start discussions on the 1st. Thanks again, everyone.

message 34: by Bill (new)

Bill Nancy wrote: "and the winners are (drumroll please)..............

Threads will go up right around the 30th so we can start discuss..."

I look forward to seeing what folks think about In Cold Blood.

message 35: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Bill wrote: "Nancy wrote: "and the winners are (drumroll please)..............

Threads will go up right around the 30th so we can..."

It will be interesting to revisit this after 50 years! I read it when first published. Revolutionary narrative non-fiction when first published and classic movie.

message 36: by NancyJ (last edited Jun 16, 2018 06:06PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) I just finished Killers of the Flower Moon and I'm really glad I read it.

I'm going to get an audio of In Cold Blood for my mother. It was her favorite book of all time. She can't always see well enough to read, but she can listen to it.

message 37: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

NancyJ wrote: "I just finished Killers of the Flower Moon and I'm really glad I read it.

I'm going to get an audio of In Cold Blood for my mother. It was her favorite book of all time. She can't always see well..."

I have two books in front of Killers of the Flower Moon but I'm eager to read it. My IRL book group is reading Grann's The Lost City of Z this month, a reread for me, but I'd forgotten how very good it is. Now I just need reading time.

message 38: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Reminding all and sundry that it's just about a week before the discussion threads go up -- everyone have copies of their choice of book??

message 39: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Nancy wrote: "Reminding all and sundry that it's just about a week before the discussion threads go up -- everyone have copies of their choice of book??"

Going to the library today to get my copy of In Cold Blood! Had considered doing the audio, but I'm not a fan of the narrator.