75 Books...More or Less! discussion

2016-2022 Chat > Reading 'too much'

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 40 comments Hi everyone! I'm so glad it's nearly the weekend. I hope everyone has something great to read.

I was wondering if anyone else has had comments from other people who think you read too much... I know my life is not as busy as other people's because I don't have children yet, I can work from home, and I don't have (or want) a super busy social life. But sometimes I feel like I have to justify how much I read, to prove that I do have a life and that I don't just laze around reading all the time (although that sounds pretty good, haha).

I have friends who read 10 or 20 books a year. I think everyone should read as much or as little as they want to, or are able to, but I would find it hard to restrict myself to that number.

At the same time, I'm a little worried that I'm spending too much time reading and will miss out on achieving other goals or experiencing the real world! I probably won't be cutting down my reading any time soon, but would be interested to hear your thoughts. How much is too much? :)

message 2: by Joanne (last edited Jun 01, 2018 07:34PM) (new)

Joanne Good question, I hear what you are saying, you are feeling guilty for reading so much. I get that as well.

I’m 54 and we have one daughter who is married and lives in Melbourne and now I have all the time in the world. my husband says to me if it makes you happy than what’s the problem. I’m mean there are so much worse things I could be doing. I’m reading!!

Trust me and I am sure other ladies here will agree that when you do have kids, sitting down to read a book will be gold pure gold.

Your life sounds cool, you can work from home that’s great not many can do that.

My husband and I work for ourselves and I have worked on an off over the years. During that time I went on and off reading. I came back into reading went I went back to school I got my degree.

My dad like to encourage me to read when I was young I could never understand why . NOW I do. 😁😁 thanks Dad.

I love reading. I try especially on beautiful days to do reading outside somewhere. Either in my garden or at the beach or at the park. Or I try and do something outside before doing any reading. I also get up after reading for awhile and do some movement, it’s actually not good for you to be sitting so long.

I personally can tell when I have been reading too much and need a break.

You can achieve all your goals and experiences and still read. I don’t think it should be an ultimatum. Neither do I, think that anyone should tell someone how many books they should or shouldn’t be reading. It’s your personally choice.

I don’t have a huge social life and I’m quite ok with that. I also am getting away from Facebook and Instagram.

Have more to say but must dash

Hope that helps somewhat, it’s good to talk about it. Just know your not the only one who has thought like that.

message 3: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2018 04:19PM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 8025 comments Mod
Most people ask HOW I read so much! lol. I blatantly tell people I have no life and I'd rather be at home reading. There's nothing wrong with that at all! It's basically my only hobby and I just cannot stop. Every Monday my coworkers ask me how many books I read over the weekend. And I tell them about my Readathons. They think I'm weird but I don't care! It's what I love to do! And my husband supports it so that's all I care about. lol. I'm enriching my mind! And they're the ones to ask me what this word means or how to spell that word. Because I read! Readers are smart people! :)

I'm a little scared about how much reading time I will lose when I have a child, we're doing IVF next month because we're not able to conceive on our own. I *feel* like I will have more time to read but I know I'm crazy thinking this! lol. But I'm ready to downgrade reading and upgrade to motherhood. Been ready for too many years!

message 4: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1825 comments Amy wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm so glad it's nearly the weekend. I hope everyone has something great to read.

I was wondering if anyone else has had comments from other people who think you read too much... I k..."

I've known people who've said that I read too much. Those that say it seriously, and not in jest, I dump! It works for me :)

message 5: by Joanne (last edited Jun 02, 2018 02:10PM) (new)

Joanne Stacie wrote: "Amy wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm so glad it's nearly the weekend. I hope everyone has something great to read.

I was wondering if anyone else has had comments from other people who think you read too..."

😂😂😂😂 wtg Stacie I agree totally. Yes and yes Amy people who read are smart and cool😎😎😎😎.

Are people who look at the phones all the time like it’s another body part any less weird. I think not. I go on the train or anywhere now and that’s all people are doing is looking at their phones. Granted some are actually reading. Go them.

🥂🍾 here’s to the readers the ones who actually read stuff for themselves instead of being feed by the media.

Here’s to the readers who become dreamers.
Elyse I shall say a few prayers for you if that’s ok for IVF success. You’ll find time to read, you will read to your children.

😘😘

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 40 comments Joanne wrote: "Good question, I hear what you are saying, you are feeling guilty for reading so much. I get that as well.

I’m 54 and we have one daughter who is married and lives in Melbourne and now I have a..."

Thanks Joanne! You're right that we sort of know when we need to take a break. Maybe I'll start reading outside more too - easier now the weather is getting nicer.

I grew up in Australia, by the way! Perth, but I've visited Melbourne and liked it.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 40 comments Elyse wrote: "Most people ask HOW I read so much! lol. I blatantly tell people I have no life and I'd rather be at home reading. There's nothing wrong with that at all! It's basically my only hobby and I just ca..."

Haha, I think of reading as my hobby (and passion) as well. My partner is also supportive, especially because he's a big reader himself. Good luck with the IVF! We're hoping for children soon too... we've had to delay for a few years because of health issues and it's been rough. Reading has helped get me through. I figure I'll listen to lots of audiobooks while nursing etc lol! Fingers crossed for both of us :)

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 40 comments Stacie wrote: "Amy wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm so glad it's nearly the weekend. I hope everyone has something great to read.

I was wondering if anyone else has had comments from other people who think you read too..."

I think that's a good rule to live by!

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 40 comments Joanne wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Amy wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm so glad it's nearly the weekend. I hope everyone has something great to read.

I was wondering if anyone else has had comments from other people who thi..."

Good point Joanne... I probably use my phone too much, but I don't really watch TV so that frees up a lot of reading time in the evenings.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3098 comments Amy wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm so glad it's nearly the weekend. I hope everyone has something great to read.

I was wondering if anyone else has had comments from other people who think you read too much... I k..."

1. Congrats on being a reader! Welcome to a very distinguished club... ;)

2. For me it is all about time management. I have so many books I want to read, so I have to use my time wisely so I get to listen to audio books. When I am driving, when I am cooking, when I am walking the dog, etc.

3. Good luck with your reading and keep it up.

message 11: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2018 12:26PM) (new)

Joanne wrote: "Stacie wrote: "Amy wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm so glad it's nearly the weekend. I hope everyone has something great to read.

I was wondering if anyone else has had comments from other people who thi..."

Joanne, I think you got my comment confused with Amy's but thank you, your prayers would be wonderful to have.

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Elyse wrote: "Most people ask HOW I read so much! lol. I blatantly tell people I have no life and I'd rather be at home reading. There's nothing wrong with that at all! It's basically my only hobby and I just ca..."

Sorry elyse I got you mixed up with Amy my apologises I shall also say a few prayers for you as well. 😁👍

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Amy wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Good question, I hear what you are saying, you are feeling guilty for reading so much. I get that as well.

I’m 54 and we have one daughter who is married and lives in Melbourne a..."

Oh wonderful been to Perth gorgeous city. I love Melbourne though my daughter hates the cold there and it gets mighty cold.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3098 comments Joanne wrote: "Are people who look at the phones all the time like it’s another body part any less weird. I think not. I go on the train or anywhere now and that’s all people are doing is looking at their phones. Granted some are actually reading. Go them. "

Great point, Joanne. I would like to think, even when reading fiction we are learning something... factoids, grammar, new words, how to string together sentences... etc.

message 15: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "Great point, Joanne. I would like to think, even when reading fiction we are learning something... factoids, grammar, new words, how to string together sentences... etc..."

Absolutely!! And if the author has done their research right, we learn a lot about whatever the book is about! Like in Kinsey Millhone, I learned a lot about PI's, police procedures, crime, forensics, guns, etc!

message 16: by Carol (last edited Jun 02, 2018 03:04PM) (new)

Carol (carol07) | 3098 comments Elyse wrote: "Absolutely!! And if the author has done their research right, we learn a lot about whatever the book is about! Like in Kinsey Millhone, I learned a lot about PI's, police procedures, crime, forensics, guns, etc!"

A new career, Elyse?

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Carol wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Are people who look at the phones all the time like it’s another body part any less weird. I think not. I go on the train or anywhere now and that’s all people are doing is looking a..."

Yes well the way authors do research now it’s for many pretty meticulous. Which is a very good thing. I also find if I see a movie and there’s a book than I want to read the book as well. For example I saw the movie queen of the desert starring Nicole Kidman and the story is based upon the life of Gertrude bell, who I knew nothing about anyhow I got a few of her books and they are marvellous all about her life in the middle east travelling around, extraordinary women.

message 18: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Carol wrote: "A new career, Elyse?..."

Haha no way!

message 19: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4140 comments Mod
So many great comments! I go through spurts where I read like it is my life and then other times I feel like I have better balance between reading and other hobbies. My only guilt with reading comes when I realize the hour I spent reading would be better spent at the gym. However, right now I have a lack of motivation that I need to figure out. If I really think about it I should not feel guilty for reading as there are many other hours in the day that I also could have gone to the gym...lol

Elyse, so excited for you and hubby. Lots pf prayers coming your way xoxoxox

message 20: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "So many great comments! I go through spurts where I read like it is my life and then other times I feel like I have better balance between reading and other hobbies. My only guilt with reading come..."

Thank you, Andrea!