Paging All Bookworms! discussion

Challenges > June 2018 Monthly Challenge - Summer's Coming

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (last edited Jun 01, 2018 11:57AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2510 comments Mod
June 2018 Challenge - Summer's Coming ...
Begins: 01June18 / Ends: 31June18

Here's to some Summer Fun ...

Tasks:

1. Swimming Hole - Read a book whose author's FIRST and LAST initials are in S W I M M I N G H O L E (Letters may be used only as often as they appear in the phrase; you have two M's and two I's but only one each of E G H L N O S W)

2. Playing Outside - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in PLAY (ignore A, An, The)

3. Wear your sunscreen! - Read a book with a beach scene on the cover

4. Picnic in the park - Read a book where the characters eat outdoors (picnic, backyard BBQ, lunch at a sidewalk cafe). Tell us the circumstances.

5. Rest and Relax - Read any book you choose.

---------------------------------------------------------

Rules of the challenge
*Books must be at least 100 pages in length
*Page counts are taken from the Goodreads record.
*A book counts for only ONE task per challenge (but feel free to use it for other challenges ... in the past or in another group).
*Re-reads are fine, as long as you actually read the entire book.
*Book should be finished within the time-frame of the challenge.
*Any format ("dead tree," e-book, audio...) is fine.

If you want acknowledgement that you have completed the challenge you MUST include the date you finished reading each book.

You should edit your original post to include the book (and/or cover) for each task. When you are finished, be sure to post a new message alerting me that you've completed the challenge. I do not get any notification when you edit your original post.

As always, have fun!

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited Mar 20, 2022 09:19AM) (new)

Reserved for list of participants.

CLICK on your name to go directly to your post.

Connie

JennH

Kajoli B C

Lee - DONE

Sheila DONE

Tessa DONE

message 3: by Sheila (last edited Jan 01, 2019 06:33AM) (new)

Sheila | 409 comments I'm in.

5/5

1. Swimming Hole - Read a book whose author's FIRST and LAST initials are in S W I M M I N G H O L E (Letters may be used only as often as they appear in the phrase; you have two M's and two I's but only one each of E G H L N O S W)--An Act of Self-Defense by Erne Lewis--finished 6/1/18 An Act of Self-Defense by Erne Lewis

2. Playing Outside - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in PLAY (ignore A, An, The) Agent 146: The True Story of a Nazi Spy in America--Erich Gimpel--finished 11/23/18 Agent 146 The True Story of a Nazi Spy in America by Erich Gimpel

3. Wear your sunscreen! - Read a book with a beach scene on the cover--Calamity Rayne II: Back Again--Lydia Michaels--finished 10/8/18 CALAMITY RAYNE II Back Again by Lydia Michaels

4. Picnic in the park - Read a book where the characters eat outdoors (picnic, backyard BBQ, lunch at a sidewalk cafe). Tell us the circumstances.--Epic Survival: Extreme Adventure, Stone Age Wisdom, and Lessons in Living from a Modern Hunter-Gatherer by Matt Graham and Josh Young--finished 6/6/18--He lived off the land so instead of carrying his food with him as he hiked and camped, he caught his food or picked it on the trail as he lived for months in the Southwest area of the United States. Epic Survival Extreme Adventure, Stone Age Wisdom, and Lessons in Living From a Modern Hunter-Gatherer by Matt Graham

5. Rest and Relax - Read any book you choose.--Starlight by Erin Hunter--finished 6/14/18 Starlight (Warriors The New Prophecy, #4) by Erin Hunter

I finally finished!

message 4: by Connie (last edited Jun 29, 2018 07:38PM) (new)

Connie D | 88 comments June 2018 Challenge - Summer's Coming ...

Here's to some Summer Fun ...

Goal: 4/4 tasks
10/9 books

On the Way Home The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894 (Little House #10) by Laura Ingalls Wilder We Are Never Meeting In Real Life by Samantha Irby Alex and Eliza (Alex & Eliza, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz The Stranger in the Woods The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti Hunger A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4) by David Baldacci Learning to Swear in America by Katie Kennedy

1. Swimming Hole - Read a book whose author's FIRST and LAST initials are in S W I M M I N G H O L E (Letters may be used only as often as they appear in the phrase; you have two M's and two I's but only one each of E G H L N O S W)
Laura Ingalls Wilder On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894 6/3/18.
Samantha Irby We Are Never Meeting In Real Life 6/21/18. 4 stars.

2. Playing Outside - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in PLAY (ignore A, An, The)
A Alex and Eliza 6/10/18.

4. Picnic in the park - Read a book where the characters eat outdoors (picnic, backyard BBQ, lunch at a sidewalk cafe). Tell us the circumstances.
The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit This man lived in the woods alone for over 20 years, eating outside the whole time. 6/11/18. 4 stars.

Bridge to Terabithia 5/25/18. 5 stars.
The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley 6/22/18. 4 stars.
Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body 6/5/18 4 stars
The Girl Who Chased the Moon 6/7/18. 3.5 stars.
The Fallen David Baldacci. 4 stars. 6/22/18
Learning to Swear in America 4 stars. 6/17/18

message 5: by Lee (last edited Jun 21, 2018 08:29AM) (new)

Lee | 570 comments I'm in!
Hark! (87th Precinct, #54) by Ed McBain
Hark! by Ed McBain
June 6, 2018

Life Support by Tess Gerritsen
Life Support by Tess Gerritsen
June 10, 2018

A Walk on the Beach Tales of Wisdom From an Unconventional Woman by Joan Anderson
A Walk on the Beach by Joan Anderson
June 21, 2018

Frozen in Time (Secrets of the Blue Hill Library, #22) by Emily Thomas
There is a community picnic in the town park to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Lois Stover Monument installation.
June 10, 2018

Greeks Bearing Gifts (Bernie Gunther, #13) by Philip Kerr
Greeks Bearing Gifts by Philip Kerr
June 4, 2018

message 6: by JennH (last edited Jun 21, 2018 10:06PM) (new)

JennH | 82 comments June 2018 Monthly Challenge

✔. Picnic in the park - Read a book where the characters eat outdoors (picnic, backyard BBQ, lunch at a sidewalk cafe). Tell us the circumstances.
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming 6/1/18 - the family picnics on Goodwin Sands in the English Channel

✔5. Rest and Relax - Read any book you choose.
Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness 6/1/18

message 7: by Kajoli Barker Conner (last edited Jul 01, 2018 03:38PM) (new)

Kajoli Barker Conner | 30 comments I'm in!

Tasks: 4/5

I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara, 352 pages, completed 6.19.18

Ode to a Fish Sandwich Ode to a Fish Sandwich (Quirky Tales from the Caribbean Book 1) by Rebecca M. Hale by Rebecca M. Hale, 103 pages, completed 6.14.18

The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1) by S.A. Chakraborty by S.A. Chakraborty, 533 pages, completed 6.29.18. Nahri and Dara travel across the desert for several days, and eat all of their meals outdoors along the way.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern by Erin Morgenstern, 387 pages, completed 6.16.18

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Sorry ... I have not been getting notifications of replies. I'll get everyone linked to this point.

Welcome to the challenge ... Sheila, Connie, Lee, JennH and Kajoli

message 9: by Book Concierge (last edited Mar 20, 2022 09:19AM) (new)

June 2018 Challenge - Summer's Coming ...

5 / 5 completed

Tasks:

1. Swimming Hole - Read a book whose author's FIRST and LAST initials are in S W I M M I N G H O L E - Erika L. Sánchez / I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter ✔ – 12June18

2. Playing Outside - Read a book whose title begins with a letter in PLAY - Lilac Girls ✔ - 02July18

3. Wear your sunscreen! - Beach scene on cover - The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews ✔ - 09Jun21

4. Picnic in the park - Read a book where the characters eat outdoors. Tell us the circumstances. - Karana is alone on the island and is basically outdoors the entire book - Island of the Blue Dolphins✔ – 01June18

5. Rest and Relax - Read any book you choose - Bitter Grounds ✔ - 23June18

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee | 570 comments Finished!

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Great job, Lee!

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Never say never! Going back through some older challenges to make sure I've completed them. It took me THREE YEARS to finally read a book with a beach scene on the cover! (And now it's 9 months later when I finally record it.)

message 13: by Terris (new)

Terris | 593 comments Yay, BC! You did it -- finally! Haha! :)