SSJCPL (Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library) discussion

The Great American Read > What's Your Favorite?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Anderson | 142 comments Mod
Join SSJCPL and PBS as we try to determine America's best-loved fiction novel. Here's the offical list https://www.pbs.org/the-great-america.... Which one is your favorite? Vote on our poll below and see how your favorite novel compares with others. Further your discussion here. Share with us why you chose a novel as your favorite and where you're from. We can't wait to hear from you.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda C | 1 comments I am tied between the DaVinci Code and The Lord of the Rings (series).

There were many classics that I could see being amazing Great American Reads, but The Lord of the Rings is one that still entertains and is read for leisure by so many today. DaVinci Code is just a guilty pleasure of mine-I enjoyed reading it.

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicals) | 7 comments I found some great authors on the list; on my second novel by Zora Hurston. I am also re-reading some old favorites on the list: The Joy Luck Club, The Color Purple and Gone With the Wind. I also got some of the selections on this list for my pre-teen nephews: Ghost is an awesome story, I highly recommend it for young readers.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I voted for Dune. The way Frank Herbert imagined our future is fascinating. This is one of those books that comes with a glossary and appendix, and I am nerdy enough to have reach both!

message 5: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicals) | 7 comments I voted for The Joy Luck Club. It is a story about immigrants assimilating in the United States, while still keeping some of their culture, but the more important story to me, was the dynamics between the mothers and the daughters. The daughters not understanding why it is so important to their mothers that they appreciate where they came from and all that they have been through.

message 6: by Malia (new)

Malia Leuck | 20 comments Mod
Hello! I'm from Manteca. My vote goes to The Martian. I enjoy the scientific and technological details written within the novels overall theme of survival in extreme conditions. The story is gripping. You feel the isolation, the desperation, and the drive of the main character as he navigates the ins and outs of extreme survival on the surface of Mars. I couldn't put it down!

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicals) | 7 comments The Martian was not on my read list yet, but after reading your description, I will be getting this book!

message 8: by Nazli (new)

Nazli The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was so much fun! I listed to it on audiobook with Stephen Fry narrating. The book is funny with lots of ridiculous scenarios.

message 9: by Merrilee (new)

Merrilee Chapman | 1 comments Little Women is my favorite, though there are many close seconds. A story telling of a family of women surviving during the Civil War caught my imagination and my heart. The fact that it is written by my great, great, great aunt helps a bit as well, I will confess.

message 10: by Malia (new)

Malia Leuck | 20 comments Mod
Nazli, how cool! I love Hitchhikers AND Stephen Fry, I'll be seeking that audiobook out for sure!