Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > August 2018 Old School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments August 2018 Nominations - Old School Classics group read

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Bookshelf link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books that were published before 1900 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

3. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

4. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

4a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for moderator to track changes.

5. Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

5a. Same author-multiple categories. The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

6. Nominations will remain open until the 14th June, polls will open on the 16th and run until the end of the month.

message 2: by Lia (new)

Lia I nominate Metamorphoses by Ovid

message 3: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Is The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade too creepy to nominate in a group?

message 4: by Angie (new)

message 5: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1856 comments I would like to nominate number two from last month's vote: The Sorrows of Young Werther

message 6: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) I nominate Ruba'iyat of Omar Khayyam by Omar Khayyám (277 pp, pub 1120).

message 7: by Wend (new)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 577 comments Wend wrote: "I nominate Pierre Choderlos de Laclos Les liaisons dangereuses Dangerous Liaisons"

Excellent book!

message 10: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 576 comments Lia wrote: "I nominate Metamorphoses by Ovid"

I'll second this since I'm currently attempting to translate portions of them from the original Latin.

message 11: by Christine (new)

message 12: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma I second Ovid. I just downloaded that
Will it be lyric?

message 13: by Lia (new)

Lia BAM wrote: "I second Ovid. I just downloaded that
Will it be lyric?"

Which translation did you download?

Ovid-the-prankster composed it in dactylic hexameter, a meter only used for "epics." Which was a big surprise for his original audiences/ readers. He's famous for elegiac couplets, all his other poems are in elegiac. His subject matter also isn't very typical for an epic.

There are many verse translations out there, but I don't think I've seen one in dactylic hexameter. It's really hard to do hexameter in English!

message 14: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma I have a lyrical format and a prose format. Do you think it will matter which I should choose to read?

message 15: by Lia (new)

Lia Not really BAM. In the original (Latin) poem, the poet used the meter to deliver some surprises. We don't associate verse structure with a certain convention or genre anymore. The "surprise" factor is lost.

FWIW, I've read two verse versions and they are both very readable.
People tend to assume prose translations are easier to read, I actually find newer translations to be easier, but those are also more expensive. (You can find Ted Hughes reading his own adaptation on YouTube for free. Also in verse, and very easy to listen to.)

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim Lopez Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Wend wrote: "I nominate Pierre Choderlos de Laclos Les liaisons dangereuses Dangerous Liaisons"

I second this

message 19: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Kim wrote: "Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen"

Sorry, this isn't eligible for Old School as we've read it before. You can nominate it in the revisit the shelf category instead if you'd like.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I’d like to nominate Eugénie Grandet by Honoré de Balzac.

message 21: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1012 comments Wend wrote: "I nominate Pierre Choderlos de Laclos Les liaisons dangereuses Dangerous Liaisons"

I'll third this.

message 22: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 74 comments Lori wrote: "Wend wrote: "I nominate Pierre Choderlos de Laclos Les liaisons dangereuses Dangerous Liaisons"

I second this"

Thanks Lori

message 23: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 74 comments Michele wrote: "Wend wrote: "I nominate Pierre Choderlos de Laclos Les liaisons dangereuses Dangerous Liaisons"

I'll third this."

Thanks Michele

message 24: by Candi (new)

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen | 71 comments Wend wrote: "I nominate Pierre Choderlos de Laclos Les liaisons dangereuses Dangerous Liaisons"

I second this as well.

message 26: by Tina (new)

Tina | 114 comments I vote for Werther.

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 145 comments I second Werther.

message 28: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments I nominate The Late Mattia Pascal by Luigi Pirandello published in 1904 and 272 pages.

message 29: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Loretta wrote: "I nominate The Late Mattia Pascal by Luigi Pirandello published in 1904 and 272 pages."

I second The Late Mattia Pascal!

message 30: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 804 comments Loretta wrote: "I nominate The Late Mattia Pascal by Luigi Pirandello published in 1904 and 272 pages."

See rule #2 above: must be published before 1900.

message 31: by Loretta (last edited Jun 05, 2018 10:35AM) (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Should definitely have morning coffee before nominating books! Thanks Marilyn. Sorry, Carol. Maybe next time then?

Withdrawn.

message 32: by Pink (last edited Jun 05, 2018 11:12PM) (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Okay, let's see what we have so far...

Les Liaisons dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos 1782, 448 pages
Wend - Seconds- Lori, Michele, Karen

Metamorphoses by Ovid 8AD, 723 pages
Lia - Seconds- Aprilleigh, BAM

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 180AD, 304 pages
Angie - Seconds- Michele, Christine

The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe 1774, 149 pages
J_BlueFlower - Seconds- Tina, Leslie

The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade 1785, 376 pages
Jehona -

The Ruba'iyat of Omar Khayyam by Omar Khayyám 1120, 116 pages
Aubrey -

Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens 1839, 817 pages
Ada -

Eugénie Grandet by Honoré de Balzac 1833, 200 pages
Pam -

A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains by Isabella L. Bird 1879, 282 pages
Candi -

message 33: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 804 comments Loretta wrote: "Should definitely have morning coffee before nominating books! Thanks Marilyn. Sorry, Carol. Maybe next time then?

Withdrawn."

Yes. Nominate it. It's on my TBR list.

message 34: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Third for Meditations by Marcus Aurelius please. 😊

message 35: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Marilyn wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Should definitely have morning coffee before nominating books! Thanks Marilyn. Sorry, Carol. Maybe next time then?

Withdrawn."

Yes. Nominate it. It's on my TBR list."

Will do.

message 36: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 325 comments I'm going to add another second to Les Liaisons dangereuses.

message 37: by Gary (new)

Gary | 201 comments I nominate "Germinal" by Zola

message 38: by Mark (new)

Mark André Ah, Gary, I was all set to fourth Meditations and now you given me cause to pause: Germinal is a great book, but can it win?

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Pink wrote: "Okay, let's see what we have so far...

[book:Metamorphose..."

Actually I nominated Eugenie Grandet by Honore de Balzac. Not sure I’m interested in Pushkin yet. :D.

message 40: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Pam wrote: "Pink wrote: "Okay, let's see what we have so far...

[book..."

Oops, I'll change that now!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Another second for Metamorphoses.

message 42: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments Another second Metamorphoses

message 43: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Jehona wrote: "Is The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade too creepy to nominate in a group?"

I don’t think this is too creepy at all. I love his work. I almost seconded this, but I don’t own it

message 44: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments BAM wrote: "Jehona wrote: "Is The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade too creepy to nominate in a group?"

I don’t think this is too creepy at all. I love his work. I almost s..."

Thanks! Everybody else I mentioned that I am planning to read it has responded with "ewwww" and saying that it should have a trigger warning on the cover.

message 45: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Jehona wrote: "Is The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade too creepy to nominate in a group?"

Personally I think everyone has the right to nominate any book they'd like regardless of how creepy.

message 46: by Lia (new)

Lia I'd be happy to read de Sade with this group! I wouldn't mind doing some Bataille either.

There are a couple of "special editions" of Justine et Juliette out there, bound with (creepy warning --->) (view spoiler) That would creep me out, but even reading a digital version would make me think about how much de Sade treats human (or accuse society of treating human) as instruments.

message 47: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (gingerette) | 11 comments I’ll second the sorrows of young whether. Thanks!

message 49: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Update on nominations -

Wend - Seconds- Lori, Michele, Karen, Nathalie (4)

Metamorphoses by Ovid 8AD, 723 pages
Lia - Seconds- Aprilleigh, BAM, Kt, Inkspill (4)

The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe 1774, 149 pages
J_BlueFlower - Seconds- Tina, Leslie, Jamie, Julie (4)

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius 180AD, 304 pages
Angie - Seconds- Michele, Christine, Loretta (3)

The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade 1785, 376 pages
Jehona -

The Ruba'iyat of Omar Khayyam by Omar Khayyám 1120, 116 pages
Aubrey -

Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens 1839, 817 pages
Ada -

Eugénie Grandet by Honoré de Balzac 1833, 200 pages
Pam -

A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains by Isabella L. Bird 1879, 282 pages
Candi -

Germinal by Émile Zola 1885, 592 pages
Gary -

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments I will second The 120 Days of Sodom . I mean, now I think I *have* to read it and see what all of the fuss is about! --Jen from Quebec :0)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.