Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

The Mill on the Floss
This topic is about The Mill on the Floss
George Eliot Collection > The Mill on the Floss - NO spoilers

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments This is our Old School Classic Group Read for June 2018.

Please use this thread for general, spoiler free discussion of The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot

If you wish to discuss the plot in more detail, then please use the spoiler thread here

If you would like a free copy of the book, here are some links for e-book and audio versions:

Project Gutenberg

Amazon UK

Amazon.com

Librivox

It's also available on the serial reader app for those who use it (87 issues).

Happy reading!

message 2: by Dan (last edited Jun 02, 2018 10:13PM) (new)

Dan | 80 comments It took me some searching to discover that "floss" is a British term for stream, what I might call a creek, I suppose. It is one of many British terms for designating countryside features that was never passed on to its colonies apparently.

Beginning my reading of this Victorian novel today. Anyone else start it yet?

message 3: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Floss was the name of the river. It's not a general term for a stream or waterway here in the UK and I don't think it ever has been.

I'm probably going to skip reading this book. I'm not in the mood for a lengthy George Eliot novel this summer. I'll look forward to seeing how everyone compares it to Silas Marner though, as I wasn't a fan of that one.

message 4: by Rosemarie (new) - added it

Rosemarie | 1580 comments I read the novel a few years ago and don't have time to reread it right now, but I enjoyed it, as I did most of Eliot's other novels.

Regarding Floss, the name of the river in the book, the German word for river is Fluss.

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I am very excited about reading this and hope to start within the week.

Enjoy everyone and look forward to hearing what others think. :-)

message 6: by Dan (last edited Jun 03, 2018 01:23PM) (new)

Dan | 80 comments Pink wrote: "I'm probably going to skip reading this book."

But this is her most deeply autobiographical novel.

Also, I understand the book is set in the county of Warwickshire. Nuneaton, Eliot's birthplace, has a school named Middlemarch. How cool is that?

message 7: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments I loved Middlemarch, but I'm not feeling in the mood for this one. Though if I hear favourable things I might pick it up in the Autumn. I rarely read Victorian novels over the summer, they just feel the wrong season to me!

message 8: by siriusedward (last edited Jun 03, 2018 02:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments Dan wrote: "Pink wrote: "I'm probably going to skip reading this book."

But this is her most deeply autobiographical novel.

Also, I understand the book is set in the county of Warwickshire. Nuneaton, Eliot'..."

Great info.
Thanks ,Dan.

This book is different to both Middlemarchand Silas Marner..one is my very favorite and the other I really liked.
This one took some getting used to for me..but on the whole I liked this too...her writing is beautiful...
its a bit more mocking in style too..making fun of the very narrow minded and short sighted unenlightened smug way of thinking among a set of people and how it frustrated/suffocated people who don't fit in ..a very shot summary..its like she does not much like any character much, in here...she does have my sympathy if her people were so smugly superior while knowing something but not realising that there is a whole world out there...but then it may be easier to think so..in the times of the web and google and kindle..

Vicki Cline I'm really enjoying this so far. The introduction to Vanity Fair mentioned that the sets of siblings in that book didn't ever seem to have any sisterly/brotherly feelings, almost like they were just acquaintances instead of members of the same family, in contrast to this book, where Maggie and Tom have real affection for each other.

Tricia Culp I’m about 5 chapters in and finding it to be delightful!! It’s so funny! I don’t remember the dialogue in Middlemarch being this funny (although I loved it).

message 11: by Dan (last edited Jun 05, 2018 11:24AM) (new)

Dan | 80 comments Four chapters read and I am enjoying it immensely as well. I'm not picking up on the humor so much though, unless we are supposed to be laughing at rural bumpkins and their notions of 'eddication' and sophistication, or that Mr. Tulliver marries stupid and likes doing so. I suppose that's all mildly funny.

What I am appreciating about the novel is what I appreciate about every Victorian novel: George Eliot has me interested in what's coming next. This instructor Mr. Riley recommends (and what an insight Eliot shares into what motivates people to make recommendations of other people they are really ignorant of) apparently is not going to work out, but how will the instructor fail? Will Tom ever get "eddicated" well enough to be of use to Mr. Tulliver?

Did the author have a brother who was dumber than a post, but her parents spent money on him for an education anyway? I could see someone as bright as our author not thinking too much of that move if so.

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim Lopez Is there a schedule for the readings?

message 13: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments No schedule, this is our group read for the whole month of June, but everyone reads at their own pace. All threads stay open for comments, so people can add to the discussions anytime in the future.

message 14: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 393 comments I just picked up my copy from the library. I'm looking forward to reading it over the weekend or at the beginning of next week. I really enjoyed Silas Marner (a book I probably would never have touched has it not been for the group).

I'll be checking back in soon!

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I am happy to report that I have just gotten started on this and am thus far enjoying it (only about 5% into it). George Eliot has such a beautiful way with words that I don't think I could ever get tired of reading her - I think she could make anything sound charming and appealing. ;-)

message 16: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 6132 comments Mod
Just finished Book Two and completely into the story now. I keep wanting to talk about what has happened, but if you go to the spoiler thread before you have finished, you cannot complain about what you see. :(

message 17: by Melanti (new) - added it

Melanti | 2383 comments I do want to join in on this read, but I just finished off a couple of slow books and want to read some faster ones before jumping into this one.

message 18: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob | 5130 comments Mod
I finished Book 1, gotta love little Maggie, what a terror. I have two, two year old granddaughters and Maggie makes me cringe, thinking about future, I’m hopping my girls are just a little tamer.

message 19: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 6132 comments Mod
I also love Maggie's spirit and think it is a shame that the time she is born in fails to admire or encourage girls to be smart. She wants to be loved and appreciated so much. But, I am grateful for her father, who makes her feel wanted. I can see how you might want your girls to be a tad more sedate than Maggie, though, Bob. :)

Carlo | 206 comments I’m about 40% in. So far it’s a bit of a struggle I have to be honest. I appreciate the writing but the story just never seems to get going. Indeed, if somebody were to ask me what it’s about I wouldn’t know what to say!

The characters of the two children are vividly painted and I’m looking forward to seeing them grow up.

message 21: by Dan (new)

Dan | 80 comments I am just past ten percent of the way in and share Carlo's question regarding where the story is. I think it's supposed to about the educational choice made for Tom and the suspense is supposed to be in the result of that choice. However, it sure is taking a long time to get there because of the many diversions regarding the various relatives. And then we have Maggie's constantly hurt feelings because Tom is being a boy, doing what boys do, and doesn't want a tag-along little sister messing him up. It's like the author wants to tell Tom's story, but really only knows Maggie's story, realizes it's not an interesting enough story to tell, and so meanders helplessly. It's sort of laughable.

message 22: by Jehona (last edited Jul 14, 2018 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jehona | 182 comments Carlo wrote: "I’m about 40% in. So far it’s a bit of a struggle I have to be honest. I appreciate the writing but the story just never seems to get going. Indeed, if somebody were to ask me what it’s about I wou..."

Yeah, this story doesn't seem to start for a while. It made me stop reading it last month. I'm continuing now. I really like Maggie. Her brother is mean.

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Even though I finished this a couple of weeks ago I am now just getting around to posting about it and getting my challenges updated.

Here is my review:

Well, I loved this one too! It seems that I have become a huge George Eliot fan.

I found it hard to get into as I did with Middlemarch and Silas Marner but also found that my perseverance was greatly rewarded. George Eliot is a master wordsmith and intellectual which she combines perfectly with her expansive breadth of knowledge and depth of emotions to create, in my opinion, masterpiece after masterpiece. After this reading, I am beginning to think of her as a female Dostoevsky. Her dives into psychology contain a feminine aspect that is a bit softer and gentler than Dostoevsky's while being no less riveting and impactful. I will definitely continue my march through her oeuvre no matter how long it takes. I have given it 5 stars and recommend it highly.

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Vanity Fair (other topics)
The Mill on the Floss (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

George Eliot (other topics)