Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

The Mill on the Floss
This topic is about The Mill on the Floss
George Eliot Collection > The Mill on the Floss - SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments This is the discussion thread for The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot, our Old School Classic Group Read for June 2018.

Spoilers allowed here.

Please feel free to discuss anything you wish, relating to the book and let us know what you thought :)

message 2: by Rosemarie (new) - added it

Rosemarie | 1580 comments I thought the ending was very dramatic. And I also kept thinking "Poor Maggie!".

Nente | 780 comments We used to have a buddy read for this over here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Several very perceptive comments by my fellow-readers, I thought =)
Should we have that thread closed perhaps, and redirected here?

message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Nente wrote: "We used to have a buddy read for this over here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Several very perceptive comments by my fellow-readers, I thought =)..."

Will do that now, thanks for pointing it out :)

BAM the enigma That cannot be how that ended it just cannot

message 6: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 6114 comments Mod
I am so angry with Mrs. Tulliver. As if things were not already bad enough!

message 7: by Sara, Old School Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 6114 comments Mod
Here is my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I love the complexity of these characters and the way Eliot deals with the heartbreaking choices that Maggie is asked to make. That she does what is morally right is without doubt, but she suffers a worse fate than if she had only considered her own feelings and ignored the pain of Lucy and Philip. In fact, had she married Stephen, I have no doubt Tom would have been very proud of her within a very short space of time. Still my favorite Eliot.

Vicki Cline Just finished the book, and I think if I had known how it would end, I wouldn't have read it. Although with a different ending it probably would have been a lot longer.

Maggie is a very interesting character, much too passionate and impulsive for the milieu she is in. Actually Lucy and Philip are my favorite characters. Lucy is so sweet and Philip is very mature and philosophical for his years. The aunts and uncles are also fun, sort of charicatures.

message 9: by Elizabeth A.G. (last edited Jun 23, 2018 04:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elizabeth A.G. | 66 comments Found this excellent review from "The Guardian" which connects this wonderful story to the author's life.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

Be patient, it takes little while to load.

Carlo | 206 comments i found the contrast between the two letters to Maggie at the end very interesting.

Philip was concerned primarily with Maggie's feelings whereas Stephen just talked about his own.

It was pleasing that Maggie and Tom were reconciled but the story was crying out for a happy ending.

message 11: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob | 5123 comments Mod
Having just recently read Silas Marner, I was expecting a happier ending, wow, was I suprised. An outstanding read.

Tricia Culp I’m really glad I read this, and I probably wouldn’t have without this group read. The tragic ending was hard for me, I wasn’t in a great place for it, and none of the other Eliot I’ve read ended this way. But I thought it was a really beautiful story and so, so well done. She truly was a literary genius.

Laurene | 10 comments I just finished The Mill on the Floss -- I was really surprised by the ending. I am grateful this novel was suggested -- would not have picked it up on my own. Having a problem letting go of Tom and Maggie.

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Mill on the Floss (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

George Eliot (other topics)