Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Archived Favorite Discussions > Just Talk- June

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Hello all- this Just Talk thread was designed for folks to have fun conversations as well as a spot to "post that question" that does not fit under a different thread. We encourage folks to post here so as not to create numerous threads as it becomes a little tougher for folks to maneuver around. Thanks for your help in this.

Kick off question for June- it's summer time (almost). Do you have any fun summer plans, as in going anywhere fun, or have any amazing fun summer reads planned? Do tell!

message 2: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 959 comments My family of four is going on a Southern Caribbean cruise. We went on a Western Caribbean cruise in February. It was the first cruise for my younger kids, and they enjoyed it. When dad gave options for a summer vacation, the kids chose the cruise. I’ve been wanting to go to Hawaii, but I think it’s going to be quite a while before we make that trip. We don’t really want to get up close to an active volcano. 😬

I don’t have any particular plans for books to read. I’ll probably just read what I feel like reading at the time, without paying much attention to whether or not they help me complete challenges — unless I decide to participate in the July historical fiction challenge.

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 258 comments Have fun AlegnaB. Sounds great!
At the moment I am looking forward to leading this month’s book discussion. Our club hasn’t met in months (actually not in 2018!) due to my broken leg, another girl’s cancer treatment and another gal’s European cruise.
Our history is a monthly meeting....
We are discussing Cold Shot & I have the next two in the series ordered through ILL-Inter Library Loan.

message 4: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (librarydiva) | 3227 comments Mod
AlegnaB † wrote: "My family of four is going on a Southern Caribbean cruise. We went on a Western Caribbean cruise in February. It was the first cruise for my younger kids, and they enjoyed it. When dad gave options..."

Have a wonderful time AlegnaB!! That is the only part of the Caribbean that hubby and I didn't make it to on a cruise!

message 5: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I guess our biggest plan this summer is our 50th anniversary in July. Not sure yet what our kids have planned.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (codenameagentmcmuffin) I doubt they'd be allowing very many people on the island anyways, unless they're part of emergency services/relief aid.

message 7: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 2803 comments Mod
I just had a two-week stay-cation, and now it's back to work for me. I'll get most of August off from tutoring work, so I'll probably get another stay-cation then, as I'm not sure there's money for any travel this year. But that gives me plenty of time for extra reading.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (codenameagentmcmuffin) On Tuesday we're going to Pigeon Forge and coming back Saturday I believe. Other than that I'll probably just be working the whole summer, then the seasons afterwards.

Such is life *Shrugs*

message 9: by MKay (new)

MKay | 35 comments Pigeon Forge is beautiful and has many fun things to do.
My Daughter in law and 3 grandsons are coming for 6 weeks while my older son is deployed and we plan to go to Sea World one day. Other than that just enjoy their company. I am sharing them with her mom and dad, but they are also going to enjoy the mini trip with us. I also have a baby shower for my newest grandson-due in August (from my other daughter in law and younger son), and a birthday party for my granddaughter to attend.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (codenameagentmcmuffin) I should be grateful to even have a chance to vacation but I'm tired of Pigeon Forge. It's the only place we go for vacation and I personally dont like the backwoods/hillybilly or whatever theme of the area. It's not something I enjoy.

message 11: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 218 comments I'm ready to relax at Pigeon Forge; any vacation is great time' even if reading because of rain.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (codenameagentmcmuffin) I've done quite a bit of reading in the car so far.

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 867 comments PF is very tourist-y. I like going out beyond tourist traps, so when my family ends up there we dedicate at least one day to driving up onto the Blue Ridge Parkway instead and doing some outdoor stuff. Also, we've done a further day trip to Asheville to see the Biltmore.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (codenameagentmcmuffin) I actually live close to the Blue Ridge Parkway! We use it to get to my grandma's.

message 15: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) | 104 comments Congrats on your anniversary Lorraine!

Hubby and are are going on a road trip next month. I said I wanted to escape the heat so we will be off in search of some mountains. I’ve found a few possibilities in New Mexico. This is different than any other trip we’ve done: except for the first day or two there is no agenda and no reservations. We’ll bring our camping gear and hope to camp a little bit. I do plan to check to see if we need to reserve our camp spaces ahead of time. I’m hoping to get in some hiking and reading. Hubby wants to do some photography and drawing and maybe some writing. Mostly I’m just looking forward to getting away.

message 16: by Bonny (new)

Bonny (bonnybonnybeth) | 430 comments Joy wrote: "...Hubby and are are going on a road trip next month. I said I wanted to escape the heat so we will be off in search of some mountains. I’ve found a few possibilities in New Mexico...."

Good choice! My grandparents live in the mountains of NM, and I'm hoping to visit them this summer if I can make the arrangements. Enjoy your trip!

message 17: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 258 comments Ok. I am looking over all these challenges & laughing at myself because I am not organized enough 2 do them. Especially the TBR Pile one where I gather one lists and numbers! all their books so that they get read.
The challenge 4 me is 2 find them all from throughout my house (and they r legion) and 2 organize (by kind & then by author’s last name)
so that I know what is available.
I aspire 2 y’alls goals & am amazed at what you do!
[Lorraine & Cheryl-your postings prompted these musings :)]
Maybe when I am not working full-time ....

message 18: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Nancy I think you are making it too hard on yourself. The TBR is easy. Just grab one you own (real/Kindle) and read it. The numbering is just the number for how many we've read. No certain order or organization. We try to keep these challenges simple & user friendly!

message 19: by Katherine (last edited Jun 12, 2018 08:03PM) (new)

Katherine Johnston (katherinejohnstonbooks) Personal Summer Reading Challenge for me has been to read books, I've not yet read, and I am definitely a multi-task reader with several on-going reading projects: Bleak House for classic, She Walks In Beauty, poetry, I just finished While The World Watched for history, and need to pick another, as for Christian genre, I am reading, Recipes and Wooden Spoons (Judy Baer), and found in translation (Roger Bruner). Multi-task reading works for me,...I enjoy the variety, and it's amazing how much you can actually read by reading just a couple pages,...here and there. Shaved Ice has been the favored treat this summer for us,...I like lemon-lime! :)

message 20: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 258 comments Thanks Loraine for the explanation. That sounds do-able :)

message 21: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 258 comments Katherine~I like your multi-task reading !

message 22: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 14, 2018 11:49AM) (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments For me this summer - I am off to AZ the end of June- yes we are the crazies who go to AZ in the summer, but for those of us who live in WA, we know that June can still be rainy, so to the see the sun is always a treat. :) Right after that we are headed to Colorado to visit my awesome brother and sister in law- can't wait!! And as far as reading goes- I kinda like to read the easy, light, beach- type reads- some humor, etc. During the rest of the year, I'm reading books for book club, which can tend to be heavy, so now, I want to read some books that don't make me think too hard, hahaha.

message 23: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Perkins (deannalynnperkins) | 1 comments Hello All! I am newer to really focusing on reading Christian books and my largest struggle recently is finding Christian Fiction books that do not revolve around romance. Does anyone have any recommendations of books that aren't romance based? A couple that I've read recently, for examples, would be Mead Mountain by B.K. Dell and Seeing Jesus by Jeffrey McClain. I truly appreciate any suggestions that any of you have. Thank you!!

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 36 comments Deanna - who are your favorite secular authors? I might be able to give you names of Christian authors with similar styles. I enjoy Charles Martin (When Crickets Cry is one of my favorites) and Randy Singer. Francine Rivers also writes good books that aren't centered around romance (And the Shofar Blew).

message 25: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Cheryl wrote: "For me this summer - I am off to AZ the end of June- yes we are the crazies who go to AZ in the summer, but for those of us who live in WA, we know that June can still be rainy, so to the see the s..."

Where will you be in Colorado Cheryl?

message 26: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Deanna, welcome! I'm glad you're finding some Christian fiction that you like. Here are a few lighter on romance that I enjoyed (the romance, if there is any, is secondary to the main plot).
Things I Never Told You (Thatcher Sisters #1) by Beth K. Vogt My Heart Remembers by Kim Vogel Sawyer Bringing Maggie Home by Kim Vogel Sawyer

message 27: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 258 comments Deanna~I like Randy Alcorn’s Christian fiction.

message 28: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Whalen | 1 comments Hi, this may be too far off for you; but my Christian sci-fi is worth a look- Traitors,Heroes, or Gods is available through Barnes & Noble or Amazon. Intrigue, danger, lots of bad guys, and YES some sermons by the lead character (a pastor).

Pat Whalen

message 29: by Missy (new)

Missy | 591 comments Hi All -

We are headed to New Orleans this weekend, my son's first time, so we are going to the aquarium, French Market, and oysters for my husband. June 29 we head to Charleston for a week. Lots planned as we have to keep a very active 6 year old busy. As for reading, we keep so busy I don't get a lot of time, but I will be taking my Kindle this weekend to finish All She Left Behind by Jane Kirkpatrick and The Patriot Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #4) by Kimberley Woodhouse . As for our big trip, I have no idea, but I want to start A Worthy Pursuit (A Worthy Pursuit, #1) by Karen Witemeyer and No Other Will Do (Ladies of Harper’s Station, #1) by Karen Witemeyer . I did tell my husband I am taking Trim Healthy Mama Plan Keep It Simple, Keep It Sane by Pearl Barrett so beware!

Sounds like everyone is going on some fun trips, haven't been to Pigeon Forge, although we talk about it all the time, we go to Chattanooga at least twice a year and love it there.

message 30: by Carolyn (last edited Jun 16, 2018 09:13AM) (new)

Carolyn | 218 comments Deanna, I am so with you; not caring for only romance. I lean more toward adventure, amish mystery, and some romantic suspense. Here are a few I have liked when read:
Heaven Sent Rain by Lauraine Snelling , Tidewater Inn (Hope Beach, #1) by Colleen Coble , Paradise Valley (Daughters of Caleb Bender, #1) by Dale Cramer (some romance but mainly adventure and amish mystery are:
Fire in the Night (Lancaster Burning, #1) by Linda Byler and
In the Land of Milk and Honey (Elizabeth Harris Mystery #2) by Jane Jensen
for this months author, this is light on romance for this book:
No Other Will Do (Ladies of Harper’s Station, #1) by Karen Witemeyer

message 31: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) | 104 comments I like the Mitford series by Jan Karon. There’s a little romance but it is in the context of a church in a small town and I see it as more about life than romance.

I also like Terri Blackstock. She writes mysteries that have me on the edge of my seat.

I’m with you in that romance is not really my thing so I will go back and look at some of the other suggestions here.

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Cheryl wrote: "For me this summer - I am off to AZ the end of June- yes we are the crazies who go to AZ in the summer, but for those of us who live in WA, we know that June can still be rainy, so to the see the s..."

Loraine- sorry I didn't respond to your comment earlier and you probably know by now but we are heading to Thornton tomorrow. :)

message 33: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Hi all I am going to post the Just talk thread for July a wee bit early as I am traveling tomorrow and just wanted to make sure that it got done. However, keep using this thread until July 1st and then switch over to that one. :)

message 34: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Sounds great, Cheryl. Safe travels!