Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

BOOK BESTIE: ARCHIVED > Pair 9: Kaitlyn and Amy Leigh (June 2018)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix), snowflakes and eyelashes (new)

★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix) (ladyknightnix) | 5540 comments Pair #9: CONTEMPORARY.
⭐️Kaitlyn - Fantasy, Contemporary, Dystopia
⭐️Amy Leigh - Fantasy, Contemporary, Dystopia

Read a book off the YA Contemporary Male Point of View List.

message 2: by Kaitlyn (last edited Jun 01, 2018 11:09AM) (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 225 comments Omg, this is exciting! I haven't read too many YA books with male POVs, and I've been in search for more, so I'm super happy :D

Amy Leigh, these are some from the list that I'd love to try, but let me know what you're interested in :) ... it also depends on library availability for me, lol

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green Looking for Alaska by John Green More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera Openly Straight (Openly Straight, #1) by Bill Konigsberg Paper Towns by John Green The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky Will Grayson, Will Grayson (Will Grayson, Will Grayson, #1) by John Green

message 3: by Amy Leigh (last edited Jun 01, 2018 03:00PM) (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 73 comments Any of the John Green books would be cool, I also haven't read Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1) by Becky Albertalli or Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Any of those would be good with me! I also have to grab whichever one we pick from the library so let me know what you're able to get and I'll put it on hold =D

It shouldn't take more than 4-5 days once I put in a request for it to be ready.

message 4: by Kaitlyn (last edited Jun 01, 2018 09:11PM) (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 225 comments I don't know if we're allowed to do rereads, otherwise I would totally say let's do Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda (love that book! You should borrow that one too anyways ;) lol) ... three of the John Green books were available for me to borrow as ebooks :) So, your choice, I'm honestly okay with any of them! Here are the three:

Looking for Alaska by John Green Paper Towns by John Green Will Grayson, Will Grayson (Will Grayson, Will Grayson, #1) by John Green

(I've heard An Abundance of Katherines isn't his best anyways)

message 5: by Amy Leigh (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 73 comments Paper Towns? 😊

message 6: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 225 comments Amy Leigh wrote: "Paper Towns? 😊"

Sounds good :) And it's a movie too, isn't it? I might have to watch it after reading!

message 7: by Amy Leigh (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 73 comments I actually didn't know that, it'll depend on how much I like the book as to if I'll watch it. ☺️
So I will request it!

message 8: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 225 comments Amy Leigh wrote: "I actually didn't know that, it'll depend on how much I like the book as to if I'll watch it. ☺️"

That's fair! lol

Amy Leigh wrote: "So I will request it!"

Great! Let me know when you start reading :) I have a few books on the go right now anyways, so I'll start reading when you do ;)

message 9: by Amy Leigh (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 73 comments Kaitlyn wrote: "Amy Leigh wrote: "I actually didn't know that, it'll depend on how much I like the book as to if I'll watch it. ☺️"

That's fair! lol

Amy Leigh wrote: "So I will request it!"

Great! Let me know w..."

I picked the book up from the library yesterday so we can start reading it! :D

message 10: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 225 comments Amy Leigh wrote: "I picked the book up from the library yesterday so we can start reading it! :D"

That's great! :D and perfect timing! I have an exam tomorrow morning, so I've spent most of this week studying and not reading as much as I want ... but I can officially start the book tomorrow afternoon (24 hours from now, in fact!) <3

message 11: by Amy Leigh (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 73 comments Awesome! Good luck with your exam! :D

message 12: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 225 comments Amy Leigh wrote: "Awesome! Good luck with your exam! :D"

Thank you! Sorry, late response XD I think it went well though :D

How are you doing with Paper Towns? I finished the first part last night (I think that's the first 9 chapters ...), and I'm enjoying it so far :) My problem is that, because I'm reading it as an ebook, I read it before bed, and there's been some nights where I'm so tired I just don't get to it :p I only have 7 more days left on it though, as a library book, so I will definitely finish it by next Saturday!

message 13: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 225 comments Finished Paper Towns tonight! 4-star read :) I didn't love it as much as The Fault in Our Stars, but I definitely enjoyed it!

message 14: by Amy Leigh (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 73 comments Hey! I have been sick and missed spending father's day with my dad :(
I finished the book & I also gave it 4 stars 😊
You wanna watch the movie too & rate it?

message 15: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 225 comments Amy Leigh wrote: "Hey! I have been sick and missed spending father's day with my dad :(
I finished the book & I also gave it 4 stars 😊
You wanna watch the movie too & rate it?"

Oh no! :( How are you feeling now?
Nice! Happy you also liked it :)
I'm actually almost done the movie! I had to find a site that would let me watch it for free ... I couldn't find it on Netflix, and iTunes price was way too steep for my liking :p But yes, if you watch it, let me know when you finish, and we can compare our thoughts and feelings on the movie too!

message 16: by Amy Leigh (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 73 comments Oh, I watched it on demand for free :) It was cute & had the feels. I think it did a good job conveying the message of the book.

message 17: by Amy Leigh (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 73 comments Im feeling better today thank you for asking :D

message 18: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 225 comments Amy Leigh wrote: "Oh, I watched it on demand for free :) It was cute & had the feels. I think it did a good job conveying the message of the book."

Oh nice! That's lucky :)

I agree, I enjoyed the movie overall :) obviously they changed some details, moved events around to fit the time constraints that movies generally have ... but I think they did a really great job with the changes! (Example: (view spoiler))
I didn't love the movie ending though ... mainly because (view spoiler), but just in general, I think the book had a more impactful ending.
(Btw: Added the spoiler warning things, just in case anyone else is reading this thread, lol)

One thing I didn't love about the book (and this is just something I noticed because I'm not a fan of this word) ... the R-word came up a few times, the one to describe someone who's considered not-so-intelligent ... I don't know if John Green uses this word frequently in his books, I don't remember seeing it in The Fault in Our Stars, and I'm hoping his later books don't have it (this book was published 10 years ago)
... but I still really loved the plot of the book!

message 19: by Amy Leigh (last edited Jun 24, 2018 11:57AM) (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 73 comments I thought the first spoiler was addressed seamlessly in the movie and addressed the issue easily and I agree about your second spoiler. It doesn't bother me when small things are left out of movies or changed around for plot progression as long as it flows and is ... minor. Ready Player One is a good example of too many vital things being changed that made the movie intolerable for ppl who read the book- imo.

I have big issues with the R word too.

message 20: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 225 comments Oh good to know! I haven't decided yet if I want to read Ready Player One, and most of the time I actually watch the movie first to see if I enjoy the plot and stuff ... but if there's a lot of changes in the movie, maybe I won't :p

Well, I'm glad we both enjoyed Paper Town! I'd say that was a successful Book Bestie Buddy Challenge :) Thank you Amy Leigh for being such a great buddy <3

message 21: by Amy Leigh (new)

Amy Leigh (xxamyleighxx) | 73 comments The RPO movie was vastly different from the book & kinda diluted with way more child like cg to appeal to kids. The book is an adult book and I found it to be incredible. I highly recommend the book & not so much the movie ;)

Thank you for being an awesome book buddy too! :D