Stephen King Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Jun 01, 2018 08:46AM) (new)

Angie | 2597 comments Mod
Time to nominate for November's book club pick. It's a "What would you recommend to King?" month.
One nomination per person.
Link to the title using the add book/author option.
Check here to make sure that we haven't already read the book
No nomination of your own book. Have fun!!
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

message 2: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 17 comments Sharp Objects is my favourite of Gillian Flynn's books. I couldn't put it down - had it open in front of me while brushing my teeth, doing my makeup, cooking, etc. The timing is perfect with the HBO series coming out this summer!
Sharp Objects

message 3: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 17 comments Lacey wrote: "Sharp Objects is my favourite of Gillian Flynn's books. I couldn't put it down - had it open in front of me while brushing my teeth, doing my makeup, cooking, etc. The timing is perfect with the HB..."

Also I just realized this says November pick... am I in the wrong thread?

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments No, I think she just did a copy and paste and forgot to change the month! 🤣

message 5: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments ok, I'm going to suggest one I haven't read yet but the ones I have read by this author have been really good. and that is Cradle Lake Cradle Lake by Ronald Malfi

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments I am going to nominate Ararat Ararat by Christopher Golden

message 7: by Matt (new)

Matt | 193 comments I'd recommend The Death of Mrs. Westaway. I've mostly enjoyed Ruth Ware's books, The Lying Game being my favourite. I just picked this up and haven't read it yet.

message 8: by Danielle (last edited Jun 02, 2018 07:24AM) (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 3 comments Unnatural Creatures by Neil Gaiman Unnatural Creatures by Neil Gaiman

Unnatural Creatures is a collection of short stories about the fantastical things that exist only in our minds—collected and introduced by beloved New York Times bestselling author Neil Gaiman.

The sixteen stories gathered by Gaiman, winner of the Hugo and Nebula Awards, range from the whimsical to the terrifying. The magical creatures range from werewolves to sunbirds to beings never before classified. E. Nesbit, Diana Wynne Jones, Gahan Wilson, and other literary luminaries contribute to the anthology.

Sales of Unnatural Creatures benefit 826DC, a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting students in their creative and expository writing, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write.

message 9: by Sévérin (last edited Jun 04, 2018 08:34AM) (new)

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 1 comments The Agony of After by Scott Hale The Agony of After Scott Hale

Anthology of four interconnected horror novellas that take place after The Blood of Before and before The Bones of the Earth series.

A social worker arrives at a low-income housing complex for a routine intake, only to discover it will be anything but, as he is given a firsthand account of his client’s own form of therapy for the world itself.

A group of twenty-somethings who take pride in their ability to label and judge others discover their LGBTQIA community has become the target of a series of hate crimes by a culprit who appears motivated by the writings of their peerless leader.

The community of Bedlam is shaken as four children from four separate families are abducted on the same day, at the same time, in the same neighborhood, without any witnesses or apparent motives.

A wanderer with a memory longer than his lifespan drifts across the Trauma-wracked wasteland of Earth, finding companionship and purpose where he can, until he is taken in against his will by a creature with nefarious plans for the distant future.

Horrific, satirical, and necessarily uncomfortable, The Agony of After is a realization of what followed the events of The Blood of Before, and a pivotal piece of the secret history of The Bones of the Earth series.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellebilodeau) | 1 comments Matt wrote: "I'd recommend The Death of Mrs. Westaway. I've mostly enjoyed Ruth Ware's books, The Lying Game being my favourite. I just picked this up and haven't read it yet."

Interesting! I just finished this and I thought of Stephen King while reading it. I think he'd really like this story and the characters. Awesome book!

message 11: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments Michele... how was the woman in cabin 10? I have this on my TBR list just trying to figure out when...

message 12: by Danny (new)

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 16 comments The Egg by Andy Weir The Egg by Andy Weir

See Bradley's review to know what it's about:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments Danny wrote: "The Egg by Andy Weir The Egg by Andy Weir

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show......"

This is only three pages long. This is for book of the month group read nominations.

???

message 14: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Nancy wrote: "No, I think she just did a copy and paste and forgot to change the month! 🤣"

Oops I did! LOLOL!

message 15: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Danny wrote: "The Egg by Andy Weir The Egg by Andy Weir

Yeah... this is really really short. Feel free though to start a thread about it in the non-King book area to discuss it. But with it so short I'm not going to include it in the nominations. Thanks for the suggestion though!

message 16: by Chris (last edited Jun 10, 2018 12:14PM) (new)

Chris Austin | 2 comments The Case of Charles Dexter Ward by H.P. Lovecraft
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

Incantations of black magic unearthed unspeakable horrors in Providence, Rhode Island. Evil spirits are being resurrected from beyond the grave, a supernatural force so twisted that it kills without offering the mercy of death!

I want to do something older. I've read multiple stories from Lovecraft, but not this one.

message 17: by Danny (new)

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 16 comments Angie wrote: "Danny wrote: "The Egg by Andy Weir The Egg by Andy Weir

O.K.

message 18: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments I think The Woman in the Window would be a fun read, and I’ve heard good things about it. King called it “unputdownable.”

message 19: by Danny (new)

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 16 comments I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1) by Dan Wells I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells

John Wayne Cleaver is dangerous, and he knows it.

He's spent his life doing his best not to live up to his potential.

He's obsessed with serial killers, but really doesn't want to become one. So for his own sake, and the safety of those around him, he lives by rigid rules he's written for himself, practicing normal life as if it were a private religion that could save him from damnation.

Dead bodies are normal to John. He likes them, actually. They don't demand or expect the empathy he's unable to offer. Perhaps that's what gives him the objectivity to recognize that there's something different about the body the police have just found behind the Wash-n-Dry Laundromat---and to appreciate what that difference means.

Now, for the first time, John has to confront a danger outside himself, a threat he can't control, a menace to everything and everyone he would love, if only he could.

Dan Wells' debut novel is the first volume of a trilogy that will keep you awake and then haunt your dreams.

message 20: by William (new)

William Kowanec  | 2 comments I would recommend behind her eyes.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.