What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Juvenile Chapter Book Late 1990s/Early 2000s. About a girl and her Newfoundland dog. Dog is a model or actor and has an obscure name.

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne (tardisgirls) | 9 comments I read this book pre-2006 and am sure it was published in the late 90s early 2000s era. I'm pretty sure it was a short chapter book and not a picture book.

I'm not sure if the book ever specifically said the dog was Newfoundland, but it definitely was (big dog, either black or brown fur). The dog also had a really random, obscure type of name.

The basic plot that I can remember is that the dog is famous (either an actor or a model, it might have been in a commercial in the book) and at one point the girl who owns it is bummed out because isn't able to hang out with the dog as much.

Thanks for any help! I've tried a wide variety of searches and have found nothing! it's driving me crazy!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36609 comments Mod
A long shot - A Dog's Life by Christine Nöstlinger?

Anne, is the story told from the dog's or girl's perspective?

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne (tardisgirls) | 9 comments From the girl's perspective. I believe it's third person as well.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne (tardisgirls) | 9 comments Bumping post. I still don't remember anything else about it other than it might have had a pink cover

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne (tardisgirls) | 9 comments Bumping again

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne (tardisgirls) | 9 comments Another bump

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Have you checked this list of Newfoundland dog books?

http://www.pwrwgn.net/pages/bookpage

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne (tardisgirls) | 9 comments Thanks for the list! So far none of them have panned out as the book I am remembering.

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne (tardisgirls) | 9 comments Bumping this post again

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still looking, Anne?

There's someone searching for a similar book here....

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie Seffker | 23 comments Was it set in New York City? The dog had a luxurious tail. There were two children and a single mom. The dog went to work at the dad's marketing firm?

message 12: by Anne (new)

Anne (tardisgirls) | 9 comments Angie wrote: "Was it set in New York City? The dog had a luxurious tail. There were two children and a single mom. The dog went to work at the dad's marketing firm?"

I think so! It sounds like we are looking for the same book! I'm glad to know that I didn't totally imagine this book. Unfortunately I still can't remember anything else about it.

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie Seffker | 23 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Hollywood Hound?

Hollywood Spaniel?"

No, neither of them is it.

message 15: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Yeah, I didn't think so. Not the right type of dog, either.

I'll keep looking to see what else I can find!

message 16: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Just a reminder: Angie is not the OP, Anne is.

message 17: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments True, although they seem to be looking for the same book.

Angie's description from the other thread....

"A tween book about a dog that is rescued by I believe a girl and a boy with a single mother. The dog has a gorgeous, luxurious tale. I believe the dog goes and begins modeling or acting or something with the father. But they all get sad cuz the dog is gone all the time. It's a shorter book (less than 100 pages I think) for tweens. I would have read it 10 years ago but it was perhaps written within 10 years of that as well. Sort of modern certainly not before the 1970s I think."

That's a lot of info, so hopefully we can track it down!

message 18: by Anne (new)

Anne (tardisgirls) | 9 comments I'm glad Angie remembers more details about this book! Hopefully between all of us we can figure out what book this is!