Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

HELP! > Cover options feedback

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I reckon you may get a different answer from everyone. It's a tough one. I'll say not white because the lightning gets in the way of the words.

I like the green which is odd because it's not my favourite colour. For me that's the one that everything stands out on.

message 2: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments They are very good. I probably like the green because I associate green with zombies and I like zombies!

Maybe if the orange could be lightened?

Or the lightning could bypass the 'J' and be more on the back cover. The back cover is rarely seen in thumbnails.

message 3: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments It's also the reason I don't do mine. They're all good covers. I like the white more than the orange because there are similar colours at the bottom of the picture. They are all eye-catching.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine (christineroney) | 261 comments Hi Alex, I like the top one. I would pick that up in a bookstore and/or click on the thumbnail.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 970 comments Hi Alex, My answer would be a combination of two covers.
I like the third cover with the barn and orange print with the lightening shown on the second cover. This probably doesn't help you. Sorry. Good luck. Hugs!

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 970 comments LOL! Thanks for counting my half votes, Alex! Hugs

message 7: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I don’t envy you that decision because any of them will be good.

message 8: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments My son and daughter said No 1 and my husband went with 3.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 6 comments Number 2 properly screamed perfect to me. Deep colours and good contrast with the lightning - it makes it stand out. The picture spanning the whole cover is also really nice, I like seeing that on books.

Number 1 I like, but there's something about it that doesn't look right. It might be that the picture doesn't seem to blend well, the cloud and house and sky all look a bit too separated. Not sure what could be done to make it flow more though... (I can comment but not advise on technical details, my skill is very limited!)

The other two are OK, but a bit blander I think.

message 10: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments I like the top one the best, for its ominous appearance and the colors. I rather like the red ground in the second one, but not the white words. The old house in the first one is better than the barn in the third one; it looks more rickety. And I just don't like the green (although some people do, I guess).

One thing I don't like about any of them is the centered text for the cover blurb. I don't believe centered text works well for long passages; it makes the eyes do more work to read it, because the lines start and end all over the place, and that's the last thing you want in a cover blurb, which only has a few seconds to hook the reader. I would full justify it, if possible.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1183 comments Cover 1 gets my vote with number 2 a close second.

Although I like the one without the house, I think a house in the pic gives it a personal focus. That house is being attacked, sort of thing.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 6 comments Alex wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Number 2 properly screamed perfect to me. Deep colours and good contrast with the lightning - it makes it stand out. The picture spanning the whole cover is also really nice, I like..."

You're welcome. And I think Anna F is right - if that's what your theme is then certainly keep it at least abstractly connected. As everyone's taste is different and cover choice can get very specific (!), don't forget your own gut, as it probably aligns to the right preference anyway.

message 13: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments The green stands out more for me. It is in my mind more eye-catching. But I’ve got compromised sight and colours look faded at the moment.

The lightning and the title both scream thriller to me. Maybe you can get away with a contrast colour. I’m not helping am I? :-)

message 14: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments IMO if you want the lightning, between the two the green is clearer.

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1183 comments The first one is very attractive - and you do want to attract. As a paperback it would be so good to hold that in your hands and turn it around and stare at it.

For eBook I'd go with the green because it stands out more.

message 16: by Jean (new)

Jean Baxter | 34 comments My two cents, I like #2--but the green title, not so much...

message 17: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Alex wrote: "Well, it was a tough call between cover 1 and 2 on here and Twitter but I have decided to go with cover 2.

Before I get things finished off, though, I have 2 more options, with the title in differ..."

I like the orange better, but I seem to be in the minority. I just don't like the green in this context; it doesn't fit the theme very well. I don't think there is any problem with contrast with the orange. I can read it just fine. The only contrast problems are with the white lettering and the white lightening.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread