Great American Read List discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > What is Your Goal?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 07, 2018 11:55AM) (new)

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
Take the Great American Read List challenge!

There are simple instructions to set a goal for how many list books you'd like to finish before a winner is announced on October 23ʳᵈ. This fun challenge can be found—HERE. Join in!

My goal is to read ten list books before PBS's television series concludes.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Sanders (oslogirl) | 1 comments at this point just to read one! If I don't stop buying books I will never get started o. the GAR list!!

message 3: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 08, 2018 02:54PM) (new)

Lisa wrote: "at this point just to read one! If I don't stop buying books I will never get started o. the GAR list!!"

Hello, Lisa!
Your comment made me chuckle! I understand your struggle and sympathize with your "problem."
I used to purchase books in bulk at the end of each year, referring to a handwritten wish list I'd added to throughout the year. As my to-read shelf grew and I came to the realization that I could not read at a pace to keep up, I stopped. Now, once a book moves from my to_read_next shelf to my currently-reading I purchase it (if I don't already own it).
With the organization that GoodReads provides with its shelving feature, it's easier than ever to track our owned and not-yet-owned to-reads (and to further sort them in helpful ways if we feel so inclined).
Thank you for joining the Great American Read List challenge with a goal of 20 books! If you're not able to complete the challenge, don't worry. It's meant to be fun and encouraging. I'm glad you've joined in!

message 4: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jun 14, 2018 02:47PM) (new)

Loretta wrote: "I'm going for twenty books."

Fantastic!
Thank you for joining the Great American Read List challenge, Loretta! You're at 10% already with two list books read!

I read Where the Red Fern Grows in school and again as an adult. It's one of the books that made a strong impression on me and directly contributed to my lifelong love for reading. (view spoiler)

message 5: by Trina (new)

Trina  (trinanycolbrown) My goal is 20 books from the list this year.

message 6: by Rosina (new)

Rosina hi...late to the party but I will try for 10 books...

message 7: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I don't really have a goal, I plan on just reading along with the group as the books come up. :)

message 8: by Tasha (new)

Tasha The PBS schedule is way too fast for me. If I didn't have other book commitments/desires I would set a goal but I have too much else going on, lol.

message 9: by Toni (new)

Toni Gary I don’t have a set number. I’m old, so I’d already read over 30 of the books. I’m retired, so that helps as far as time is concerned. But I’m also poor-fixed income, etc. , so I’m depending on my personal library, my County library and my son’s library. I’m determined to read as many as possible. I’m working on 4 pretty easy ones right now. Do I have to set a fixed number?

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 35 comments I don't have a fixed number either. My plan was to read what the group reads. Sometimes when I set a goal I get too focused on how to reach the goal. You have to stop and ask why you set the goal. I learned that from reading Siddhartha.

message 11: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Hello Trina, have fun reaching your goal of 20 list books!

As Loretta said—it's never too late to enter, Rosina. New participants are welcome, anytime. Thank you for joining the Great American Read List challenge with a goal of 10 books!

That's perfectly fine, Tasha. Whatever works best for you! I have another group of which I'm an active member, so I understand.

No Toni, it's not necessary to set a specific number. For some it's a great motivator to set goals such as these, but for others it has the opposite affect. I always want members to enjoy themselves while reading through the list. That's priority number 1.

I like your plan, Cindy! That's my favorite part of this group—reading members' thoughts about list books. It's interesting to discover why someone likes a book and why they don't. I appreciate the viewpoints everyone contributes.

message 12: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I love that too, Cindy and Lavan. I love reading books with a group because you get to hear from different sides and experiences of the book. It makes discussions interesting as well.

message 13: by Rosina (new)

Rosina Thanks for the warm welcome...next couple days i hope to go through the list and check out the monthly and series reads...i should figure out how many i have already read

message 14: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Couldn't agree more, Tasha!

My pleasure, Rosina!
You could keep track of those you've read prior to joining the group and those you read from this point forward by creating a personal bookshelf. Have you seen How to Create a Virtual Bookshelf and Log? Feel free to add one, if you'd like!

message 15: by Rosina (new)

Rosina Lavan
I will certainly do that....I tried last night but when I went to save the post something happened on GR and it didn't save...will try again when I get to my computer...later this week

message 16: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'd like to make a list of mine as well, just need to find some extra time to get it organized!

message 17: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 12, 2018 04:13PM) (new)

Rosina—I'm terribly sorry that happened to you!
It's the worst feeling to lose unsaved writing. That's happened to me before, a few times. I'll spend an hour or two writing, revising and editing a part in a story and for one reason or another I'll lose it before saving. I then stare at the screen and think to myself, 'That didn't just happen. That did NOT just happen ... ' I understand your frustration.
I have a notification informing me that you've added a personal bookshelf since posting this comment. Glad it worked this time and I look forward to reading it soon!

Happy to hear that, Tasha! Take your time, please don't feel rushed. I'm looking forward to yours as well!

message 18: by Toni (new)

Toni Gary My goal may differ from many others, as I don’t intend to read every book in a series this summer. I’m only trying to read the 100 books. For a few I have already read some in a series, but I don’t intend to tackle a whole series of books this summer while trying to read so many others. I may return to a series later, but for now my goal is to read as many of the 100 on the list as possible. I created a shelf for GAR on my Goodreads page and will post a shelf on here when I can.

message 19: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I feel the same way. Some books I just don't have interest in reading. Series books, same as you Loretta, I'll come back to them at another time if I liked the first one. Of course, if I loved the first one then probably sooner than later,

message 20: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 13, 2018 10:35AM) (new)

That's quite all right, Toni, Loretta, and Tasha!
I prefer that members tackle The Great American Read list in whichever way they would like. Our monthly book club and book series are meant as additional incentives, but there are no expectations here. Skip those list books that you're not interested in.
I'm happy to see members' personal bookshelves grow whether with group reads or side-reads!

I'm looking forward to your bookshelf, Toni!

message 21: by Toni (new)

Toni Gary There is also a book club on Facebook connected to the GAR/PBS page. I prefer this one-I like all the interactions and the freedom to tackle this thing as we like.

message 22: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Me too. I like the pacing of books here, it's not rushed and everyone is laid back.

message 23: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 13, 2018 08:29PM) (new)

You ladies are most kind!
Thank you for all of the positive sentiments in regard to our group. The pleasant atmosphere is in large part due to all of you—the members. I cannot take the credit for how nice of a forum this is shaping up to be. It's the community that makes the difference. I am fortunate that all of you have joined and grateful for all of your input and support.
Please know that I'm doing my best and that I'm happy to be overseeing our group!

message 24: by Tasha (new)

Tasha You are doing a most fantastic job, Lavan. I really do mean it. :)

message 25: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 15, 2018 01:46PM) (new)

Tasha wrote: "You are doing a most fantastic job, Lavan. I really do mean it. :)"

Thank you Tasha, I'm pleased that you think so!

message 26: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Dusablon (kaesmmtd720810) | 1 comments count me in I have already read 1 (cat and mouse James Patterson alex cross series) and am currently reading 1 on the list (the stand Stephen King) so I would like to try for 8 more total of 10

message 27: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Kerry wrote: "count me in I have already read 1 (cat and mouse James Patterson alex cross series) and am currently reading 1 on the list (the stand Stephen King) so I would like to try for 8 more total of 10"

Hello, Kerry!
Here is the link for our group challenge—Great American Read List Challenge.
Thanks in advance for joining!

I've not read anything by James Patterson yet. Did you enjoy Cat and Mouse? Have you read any other books in the Alex Cross series? If so, is it necessary to read them in order? I've been wondering.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.